Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Distinction, Aeroplan's new member recognition program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
Aeroplan is making major changes to the program that will be implemented on January 1, 2014, including:

• The launch of Distinction, a new tiered recognition program that rewards top accumulating members, based on total Aeroplan Miles earned across all coalition partners, with preferential mileage levels for redemption, bonus mile offers and exclusive privileges;

• New Market Fare Flight Rewards to replace ClassicPlus Flight Rewards, offering significantly improved value, with all members having access to mileage levels reduced by up to 20%, and Distinction members enjoying reductions of up to 50%; and

• The cancellation of the seven-year mileage redemption policy, with Aeroplan Miles no longer expiring for members active in the program each year.
Print Wikipost

Distinction, Aeroplan's new member recognition program

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by pitz
I hereby nominate Aeroplan's management to the rank of dD.uchebags for messing with the redemptions on Asia Business/First awards.

Arghhhh... Really don't like this
Remember in April 2011 - F was 120k + $200, now its 210 k +$1200 :O

Originally Posted by Clipper801
They just raised the no. of points required for redemption effective Jan. 1, 2014.

So they are just letting you to redeem at the current rate rather than a discount from the current rate.
What am I missing, I see the distinct elite discounts only on the MARKET FARE awards (ie. classic plus - the ones you get a penny a point value)
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Recall doing a survey last year about a tiered AE program (as opposed to AC elite program). This is going to be somewhat confusing to the average person who may now assume they have AC benefits by being an AE elite (though there may indeed be some attached to that program). It will be interesting to see if AC elites will get the same "dynamic" award pricing when Classic space is not available.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by alc
so now my daughter (5 yr old) has a higher status then me, she is dDiamond while I am only dBlack.

Overall, I think getting to dDiamond is not that hard, as long as, AMEX MR continue to be able to convert to Aeroplan. Assuming you have no AMEX right now, you can first get AMEX Plat sign-up get you 60K, then self-refer a AMEX Gold, get 15K referral bonus, and 20K AMEX gold sign-up bonus. So the total here is already 95K (60+15+20). Now add in the 1000 spend on the Plat and 500 on the Gold, which gave you max of 2250 AMEX MR (1250 + 1000). you now have 97250 AMEX MR, just a little shy of the dDiamond level.
T&C:
"Eligible miles may not include certain bonus, miles accumulated through conversion programs..."
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Originally Posted by bono1
Aeroplan has increased their mileage costs... sucks

http://www3.aeroplan.com/whats_new/n...entLanguage=en
It's interesting, all those regions are set to increase but the two that are currently the largest, Indian Subcontinent and East/South Africa at 150k points for J are not listed... All those changes listed above would then have those destinations actually cost more points - does this make sense?

Mark
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Originally Posted by alc
so now my daughter (5 yr old) has a higher status then me, she is dDiamond while I am only dBlack.

Overall, I think getting to dDiamond is not that hard, as long as, AMEX MR continue to be able to convert to Aeroplan. Assuming you have no AMEX right now, you can first get AMEX Plat sign-up get you 60K, then self-refer a AMEX Gold, get 15K referral bonus, and 20K AMEX gold sign-up bonus. So the total here is already 95K (60+15+20). Now add in the 1000 spend on the Plat and 500 on the Gold, which gave you max of 2250 AMEX MR (1250 + 1000). you now have 97250 AMEX MR, just a little shy of the dDiamond level.
The web page clearly says that sign-up miles do not count towards the accumulation count.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Originally Posted by danapop
Maybe I'm niive but I don't think that many people spend 75-100K a year on a CC...
but its not too hard to sign up for a couple Amexes to get to 100k
Signup bonus doesn't count.

But 100K distinction isn't too hard with a mix of AQM and 2x CC spend AE mile multipliers.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
The website is borked. I guess everyone is logging in to find out what's up.
Altitude website also - it allows my login, shows correct status, but dashboard is empty.

Last edited by flyquiet; Jun 27, 2013 at 8:15 am Reason: update
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
so one positive is one-ways going to 50% of mileage, I wonder if they ll allow stopovers on those ... but I would guess not.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:19 am

To be honest, not of these changes that are purported to be consumer friendly are useful for me.

Distinction (exctinction) doesn't look good at all, rise in price for mini-RTW is bad, the 7 year expiry was never an issue, and I have never redeemed for variable level tickets, never will no matter what they're called unless they're priced lower than the fixed award levels which in 99% of the time is not the case.

Only thing that is interesting to me is TD issuing cc's, and one-ways.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:41 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Wow - another large scale devaluation.

Thankfully we have until Jan 1, 2014 to make some bookings.

Amazing than an Asia 1 RTW has gone from 125k to 175k to 210k in the space of 2 years.

The only advantage is the one way awards which I can see mixing with AAdvantage which works for me.

No longer the winning program.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: A3 *G; AC
Originally Posted by flyquiet
The website is borked. I guess everyone is logging in to find out what's up.
Altitude website also - it allows my login, shows correct status, but dashboard is empty.
And Air Canada Manage My Bookings is showing a system error!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:52 am

out of curiousity, does anyone ever even book classic rewards flights? the mileage required never made sense to me and i always find it better to just pay for it outright instead of using aeropesos.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Wow - another large scale devaluation.

Thankfully we have until Jan 1, 2014 to make some bookings.

Amazing than an Asia 1 RTW has gone from 125k to 175k to 210k in the space of 2 years.

The only advantage is the one way awards which I can see mixing with AAdvantage which works for me.

No longer the winning program.
they haven't been the winning program since way before the devaluations started.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:58 am
alc

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Originally Posted by alc
T&C:

"Eligible miles may not include certain bonus, miles accumulated through conversion programs..."
Originally Posted by tinchote
The web page clearly says that sign-up miles do not count towards the accumulation count.
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Signup bonus doesn't count.
I am not sure how can they tell if those AMEX MR are sign-up bonus or not. They are MR points, and show up the same when it come in to your account. I think this T&C might be referring to Aeroplan Credit Card Sign-up bonus like CIBC (or future TD) Aerogold and AMEX AeroplanPlus.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
but its not too hard to sign up for a couple Amexes to get to 100k
According to the Ts and Cs signup bonuses are excluded

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.