Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Distinction, Aeroplan's new member recognition program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
Aeroplan is making major changes to the program that will be implemented on January 1, 2014, including:

• The launch of Distinction, a new tiered recognition program that rewards top accumulating members, based on total Aeroplan Miles earned across all coalition partners, with preferential mileage levels for redemption, bonus mile offers and exclusive privileges;

• New Market Fare Flight Rewards to replace ClassicPlus Flight Rewards, offering significantly improved value, with all members having access to mileage levels reduced by up to 20%, and Distinction members enjoying reductions of up to 50%; and

• The cancellation of the seven-year mileage redemption policy, with Aeroplan Miles no longer expiring for members active in the program each year.
Print Wikipost

Distinction, Aeroplan's new member recognition program

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:29 am

I hereby nominate Aeroplan's management to the rank of dD.uchebags for messing with the redemptions on Asia Business/First awards.

Arghhhh... Really don't like this
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:30 am
alc

Originally Posted by laidback71
So they introduce this the year after large blocks of Aeroplan miles will be expiring with the first 7-year expiry date. Nice. Just burned off a bunch of miles at terrible rates to use up expiring points.
maybe that is why they remove the 7-year policy today.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by laidback71
So they introduce this the year after large blocks of Aeroplan miles will be expiring with the first 7-year expiry date. Nice. Just burned off a bunch of miles at terrible rates to use up expiring points.
And they are increasing the mileage rates come 1 Jan 2014!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:34 am

So its now called........ Attitude with a Distinction?!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:34 am

Great to see AP website as prepared as we'd expect them to be for the obvious increased traffic any 4th grader could predict after today's announcements.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by 1011TriStar
Clauses per Aeroplan:
... the following miles are not eligible
for Distinction status ... bonus
miles received as a benefit of the Air Canada Altitude
program ...
It is conceivable that if you crossed a status threshold because of one the (fairly routine) "bonus status miles" offers, you might have higher status on Distinction than Altitude.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: status-free
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Great to see AP website as prepared as we'd expect them to be for the obvious increased traffic any 4th grader could predict after today's announcements.
Yeah, I'm having trouble, too. And I guess not much is getting done in corporate Canada right now, as every single traveller in the country tries to check their Distinction status as soon as they get to the officce.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by FreddyBe
Originally Posted by 1011TriStar
Clauses per Aeroplan:
... the following miles are not eligible
for Distinction status ... bonus
miles received as a benefit of the Air Canada Altitude
program ...
It is conceivable that if you crossed a status threshold because of one the (fairly routine) "bonus status miles" offers, you might have higher status on Distinction than Altitude.
You mean the other way around?

---

So forum name change potentially in the making?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Interesting they chose the name "Distinction". As I recall from an AC survey that was the runner-up name for the AC Altitude program.

Also, I'm quite surprised they removed the 7 year expiry rule. I would have thought the lure of removing all that liability from the books would have been irresistible...
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by eyeball1
Interesting they chose the name "Distinction". As I recall from an AC survey that was the runner-up name for the AC Altitude program.

Also, I'm quite surprised they removed the 7 year expiry rule. I would have thought the lure of removing all that liability from the books would have been irresistible...
Nah just like any issuer of fiat currency, they'll just dilute the existing claims into oblivion.

Anyone taking bets on how long it will take them to demand an extra 5k on domestic rewards and eliminate the stopover privilege?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by biglinguist
Yeah, I'm having trouble, too. And I guess not much is getting done in corporate Canada right now, as every single traveller in the country tries to check their Distinction status as soon as they get to the officce.
Air Canada needs to separate the user authentication from Erroplan, I can't login to book flights, had to call in to have a manual booking done on my flightpass. It seems the SE desk was aware there was a problem, but have no idea it is related to the Errorplan website launch.

Yet more evidence that Lise needs to be fired! #fml.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: AC, UA, DL, BA, SPG
In addition, mileage levels for certain international routes (to/from North America to Australia, New Zealand & South Pacific; Middle East and North Africa; and Asia) for business and first class ClassicFlight Rewards will increase as of January 1, 2014
The only thing that AP miles are worth spending for they increase (apart from short expensive Jazz flights). Do not like.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
I notice the raise seems to be all referring to the NA chart, no increases on, say, Europe-Asia flights. Yet. I can't really see any more since I can't even log into the site. I'll give it a day or two, but there's certainly both good and bad to this...
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:53 am
alc

deleted

Last edited by alc; Jun 27, 2013 at 1:08 pm Reason: remove incorrect info
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by danapop
Maybe I'm niive but I don't think that many people spend 75-100K a year on a CC...
but its not too hard to sign up for a couple Amexes to get to 100k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.