Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

All about Eva (BR); AP numbers recognized, earning & award info, seat assignment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All about Eva (BR); AP numbers recognized, earning & award info, seat assignment

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2019, 4:55 am

If i were to book an eva air ticket in economy standard, can i use my aeroplan points to upgrade to business directly?

Or is the upgrade to premium economy?
Old Dec 29, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by ikeaikeaikea
If i were to book an eva air ticket in economy standard, can i use my aeroplan points to upgrade to business directly?

Suggest you read up on the rules: https://www.aeroplan.com/saua/Upgrade.do#/

You can upgrade to Business directly, but you need to purchase the correct fare class. For Eva Air it’s Y,B or K.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by ikeaikeaikea

I would say no, but that depends on the aircraft. As the 777 is phased out to the 787 so goes PE. I read somewhere only 1 fare class can be upgraded. Bought eco flex PE last year after reading "upgrade by miles" fine print only milagelands miles. Was only able to up tpe/dps leg, not yvr-tpe. This year bought best PE and upgraded to buisness using aeroplan right away, 10 months before flight. Tickets bought before announcement of 787 for return flight in March.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Also, are you looking at a paid BR ticket and then using miles to upgrade? If so, best to ask on BR FT.

Are you asking about a paid AC ticket in Latitude for example, then the link in my post above might be helpful.

Are you asking about an Aeroplan ticket on BR, because you mention "I've searched and some people are saying T-14 days."?

As for strategy to search for award availability, some people set alerts on EF, others just keep searching Aeroplan.
Y
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:16 pm

Just a fyi....and welcome to AC FT

Calling Aeroplan will not (necessarily now) get you seats that do not exist on the website. As noted often in this thread as well as others, phantom avails aside, BR is not releasing to Aeroplan as often as they used to in T-14. There may be some but no BR 35/36. They have been tending to release at T-4.

I found a few routings to my destination requiring 2 stops including TPE but it's really all over the map.
Yeah.. i think you are 100% correct, I called EVA to confirm if there is any Z class available, lady said more than 5 seats, and I went back Aeroplan upgrade system... Not available for upgrade....

which means, and I think EVA Air purposely blocked for BR35/36 flights, cause I am booking way for November's trip.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sklin88
Yeah.. i think you are 100% correct, I called EVA to confirm if there is any Z class available, lady said more than 5 seats, and I went back Aeroplan upgrade system... Not available for upgrade....

which means, and I think EVA Air purposely blocked for BR35/36 flights, cause I am booking way for November's trip.
Z class availability has nothing to do with upgrades. Also, cheap economy tickets won't be upgradeable, but only higher booking codes. Check on aeroplan.com.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BML87
Are flights that are operated by UNI Airways for EVA Airways eligible to earn Aeroplan?
As I recall, no.
BML87 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Z class availability has nothing to do with upgrades. Also, cheap economy tickets won't be upgradeable, but only higher booking codes. Check on aeroplan.com.
so you mean it purely depends on I class instead, right?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sklin88
so you mean it purely depends on I class instead, right?
Might. But even that is not clear. They don't publish the actual rules. But definitely has nothing to do with Z.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:37 am

Just a fyi....and welcome to AC FT

Calling Aeroplan will not (necessarily now) get you seats that do not exist on the website. As noted often in this thread as well as others, phantom avails aside, BR is not releasing to Aeroplan as often as they used to in T-14. There may be some but no BR 35/36. They have been tending to release at T-4.
Are there any datapoints at when the T-4 is more specifically? For example, for a YYZ flight with a 12:45a ET departure on a Thursday, would availability be released:
1) 12:45a on the Sunday before (Exactly T-96 hours)?
2) A specific local time the day before or after the T-96 mark is met? So if they release midnight local departure time after T-96 passes, it would be 12:00a/midnight Monday morning
3) A specific Taipei time the day before or after the T-96 mark is met? So if they release midnight Taipei time after T-96 passes, it would be 11:00a Monday morning.
4) Some other time calculation
5) Fairly random other than 4ish days from departure.

Just wondering as I would prefer to get some shut eye if they wouldn't release it overnight in the US.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:32 pm

I gave up already, I spent all my aeroplan pt for two one way BR36 business class tickets instead. T-4 is way to short of time for me to consider, might be good for some, but not for me.
​​​​​​We are dealing with a lot uncertainty with Aeroplan revamp reward program, it might be worse off as well so better to use them up before May or June 2020
Old Nov 21, 2021, 7:49 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Air Canada vs EVA Air

I have FFP on EVA and already a Gold on that. I am travelling a lot now these days and using to collect my points on EVA. But now I see that EVA may not start operating flights via TPE until April next year. I sure would have done three long hauls to Asia from Canada by then.
Should I change to AC? The main reason why I joined the BR programme is that because they fly to a lot of destinations in Asia from Canada via TPE.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Davvidd
I have FFP on EVA and already a Gold on that. I am travelling a lot now these days and using to collect my points on EVA. But now I see that EVA may not start operating flights via TPE until April next year. I sure would have done three long hauls to Asia from Canada by then.
Should I change to AC? The main reason why I joined the BR programme is that because they fly to a lot of destinations in Asia from Canada via TPE.
@Davvidd
As you know, AC stopped flying to TPE in March 2020 IIRC. While they said they would resume, here we are 1.5 years later. AC had reasons for starting the TPE route, and only they know how many flew via TPE to connect onward to elsewhere in Asia.

Also, how could anyone else tell you you should switch to AC when you've not defined your planned routes. We don't know if you have the ability to enter Taiwan and based on posts on the the BR and other forums, Taiwan is also still not allowing transit pax. The reality is, most of Asia/SE Asia is still closed to foreigners and while some people can enter on business permits, it doesn't make sense to have routes where the loads are low.

Unless you have to buy your tickets right now for future travel, how could anyone else tell you whether to change to AC when there is so much uncertainly about most if not all of their Asian destinations.

And, I'm sure you've looked at each program to determine which one would give you the benefits you want.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I can go to most places in Asia now. Yes TPE is closed for transit passengers still. I fly to Asia and hence why BR instead of AC before. Just worried when BR would eventually start as I have a few trips even next week and a couple more in late December and some more in January too.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Davvidd
I can go to most places in Asia now. Yes TPE is closed for transit passengers still. I fly to Asia and hence why BR instead of AC before. Just worried when BR would eventually start as I have a few trips even next week and a couple more in late December and some more in January too.
Since you can't control when Taiwan will change their current rules, you have to make decisions based on now. You know when you are planning to fly. You know your destinations. If AC can get you there but you'll have to connect somewhere other than TPE, then only you can decided if that works for you.

As for comparing the value or benefits of Aeroplan vs Infinity MileageLands, or asking if you should join Aeroplan, well, it doesn't cost anything and only you can determine if the program benefits you based on your planned flying.

I'm sure there are people on this forum and on BRs who belong to both and might have other answers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.