Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flex (A) / Tango (A), and trying to book Flex

Old May 25, 13, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond

I have a YYT-YUL-YTZ flight booked. ITA and AC.com say Flex (L) is open, but AC claimed to only be able to give me A. This was the only completely domestic part of my big multi-city itinerary, so probably the only one eligible for Tango.

However, my booking is showing that YYT-YUL is in Flex (A), and lets me select a seat for free. It says YUL-YTZ is in Tango (A), and charges me if I try to select a seat.

Does that make sense? Is this just an IT glitch in my favor, or is one of the segments somehow in Flex and the other in Tango, even though they're both domestic flights in A?

The difference in price between Flex and Tango on AC.com is $72 for 1503 AQM, so that's about 3.1cpm, and I'd probably pay it if I could get a rep on the phone who could figure it out. Does it make sense that because it's in a multi-city itinerary, they wouldn't be able to put this in Flex, even though the fare used for this part of the itinerary is a YYT-YTO fare?
Old May 26, 13, 3:49 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
Change that as it's always a pain and usually too late after the fact. If the system (AC It Rocks ) wants you to pay for a seat, its a big O TANGO! But Flex is flex no matter what the specific bucket!
Old May 26, 13, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr View Post
Change that as it's always a pain and usually too late after the fact. If the system (AC It Rocks ) wants you to pay for a seat, its a big O TANGO! But Flex is flex no matter what the specific bucket!
I'm not sure that's true. Domestic Tango fares are clearly listed as N,G,P,E,A (and O to the US). Internationally it's N,G,P,E,A,L,T,K. It's the bucket that counts, nothing else. The fact that you can select a seat on a Tango leg for free is the IT glitch.

I believe that AC will allow you to up-fare without paying a change fee. The problem is that you're unlikely to be able to up-fare just the Tango legs depending on how it's booked.
Old May 26, 13, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by arcticbull View Post
I'm not sure that's true. Domestic Tango fares are clearly listed as N,G,P,E,A (and O to the US). Internationally it's N,G,P,E,A,L,T,K. It's the bucket that counts, nothing else. The fact that you can select a seat on a Tango leg for free is the IT glitch.

I believe that AC will allow you to up-fare without paying a change fee. The problem is that you're unlikely to be able to up-fare just the Tango legs depending on how it's booked.
I was able to do it. It was a big multi-city itinerary, with five separate fares. The other four were all in Flex. I got them to move this fare (two segments) from A to L, for around $65.

So now I have my seats selected, and I'm earning AQM (and RDM).

The big question for me was why it was showing the first leg as Flex, and letting me pick a seat, but I guess that's just a glitch.

Oh well, problem solved

Search this Thread