AC vs NH trans-pac

Old May 24, 2013, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS Gold, UA 2P, SPG Plat
AC vs NH trans-pac

I was hoping you AC flyers can help me out. I'm trying to decide whether to fly SFO-YVR-PEK-DEL or SFO-LAX-HND-DEL on a C reward. I think AC has the lie-flats and NH has an angled lie flat on the trans-pac routes. This will be my first time trans-pac in C so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old May 24, 2013, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by jvquarterback
I was hoping you AC flyers can help me out. I'm trying to decide whether to fly SFO-YVR-PEK-DEL or SFO-LAX-HND-DEL on a C reward. I think AC has the lie-flats and NH has an angled lie flat on the trans-pac routes. This will be my first time trans-pac in C so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
YVR-PEK on AC is definitely better than LAX-HND on NH. However, there are several other options that are even better:

SFO-ICN OZ 77L
SFO-NRT HN 77W
SJC-NRT NH 788
SEA-NRT NH 788
LAX-NRT NH 77W
LAX-ICN OZ 77L
LAX-PEK CA 773
Old May 24, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: JGC
There is a thread in the NH forum discussing their service in C in night flight (i.e. LAX-HND). As it is a night flight, their service is reduced, and thus you won't get 'full' business class service. You have to pay YQ for both airlines. I would choose AC in this case. m
Old May 24, 2013, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS Gold, UA 2P, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by echino
YVR-PEK on AC is definitely better than LAX-HND on NH. However, there are several other options that are even better:

SFO-ICN OZ 77L
SFO-NRT HN 77W
SJC-NRT NH 788
SEA-NRT NH 788
LAX-NRT NH 77W
LAX-ICN OZ 77L
LAX-PEK CA 773
Thx. I'm trying to get a saver award fare though and the only availability is YVR-PEK and LAX-HND in C.
Old May 24, 2013, 5:00 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
If you've flown AC J before, go with NH for the novelty factor.
Old May 24, 2013, 5:33 pm

on NH i would suggest the daytime flight or 787
Old May 27, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
As someone who's flown both HND-LAX and NRT-SEA in J (approximately the same distance/flight length), I wouldn't describe the service for HND-LAX as necessarily "reduced," except for the fact that that flight still uses the old angled-flat J configuration.

All told, if you have no choice but NH angled and AC herringbone, I would say you should go for the latter...unless you want to experience J service with a Japanese flare, in which case NH is an obvious choice, even in the old configuration.
Old May 28, 2013, 8:39 am

I just flew TPAC on NH's new lie-flat "staggered" J seat. It's 150% superior than AC's J pod. Typical excellent Japanese style service. Meal choices may be somewhat limited to Japanese and Western. Good choices of midflight snack and on-demand 2nd meal are better than AC. You can order your 2nd meal at any time you want or turn on the "Do Not Disturb" light if you want to sleep. Most importantly, they don't run out of midflight snacks like AC. On my last TPAC on AC, I was shocked to be told that they had run out of all midflight snacks with about another 5 hours to destination! Excellent IFE. I watched Les Miserables and this was not even offered on AC yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.