Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Originating in Edmonton -- When to go through U.S. Customs?

Old May 20, 13, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

I will be flying to Orlando in a few weeks. My flight starts in Edmonton then connects to Calgary and then onto Orlando. Will I have to go through customs in Edmonton or with my connecting flight in Calgary? What about my checked baggage? Will it follow me to Orlando or will I have to check it again in Calgary.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 20, 13, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Assuming you are flying WS on the YYC-MCO nonstop, you will clear US customs in YYC.
What airline are you flying YEG-YYC?
Old May 20, 13, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Actually it's Edmonton to Calgary to Houston to Orlando. Yeg to YYC will be United operated by Air Canada Jazz. Then the same to Houston. Then United from Houston to Orlando.
Old May 20, 13, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA
You'll still go though US immigration and customs in Calgary
Old May 20, 13, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Ok thanks but what about my checked baggage?
I only have 55 minutes, will that be enough time if I have to retrieve my luggage and go through customs?
Old May 21, 13, 9:21 am

My guess us that you will have to collect your baggage in Calgary and carry it with you through US customs then redeposit it on the belt. I know it is that way for sure when domestic flights connect to the US through Toronto or Vancouver.
Old May 21, 13, 9:40 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...yyc_ca_us.html

Follow overhead C Gates sign Departure level.
Proceed to U.S. Customs and retrieve your checked baggage at the U.S. baggage carousel.*

Pre-clear U.S. Customs with your checked baggage.
Drop off checked baggage at the U.S.A. and Connection Baggage belt.

*Do not go down to the Arrivals level.
Old May 21, 13, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Originally Posted by skhoslaTO View Post
My guess us that you will have to collect your baggage in Calgary and carry it with you through US customs then redeposit it on the belt. I know it is that way for sure when domestic flights connect to the US through Toronto or Vancouver.
That has traditionally been the drill, although CBP at some airports (YYZ and YUL that I know of) has introduced a new system that does not require you to schlep your bags to US customs. They are checked thru to your arrival city. Not sure if it has been introduced in Calgary. OP, you might ask in the AC forum.
Old May 21, 13, 11:17 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, Nexus, Global Entry
Mods - If you move this thread to the Air Canada forum the OP will get the exact answers her needs.
Old May 21, 13, 10:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Question

Welcome to FlyerTalk, wingman74! As you'll be taking an Air Canada Jazz flight into the US, let's move your query over to the Air Canada forum for the experts there to also chime in. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old May 21, 13, 10:54 pm
7E7

Programs: AC*E75
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
That has traditionally been the drill, although CBP at some airports (YYZ and YUL that I know of) has introduced a new system that does not require you to schlep your bags to US customs. They are checked thru to your arrival city. Not sure if it has been introduced in Calgary. OP, you might ask in the AC forum.
Calgary (YYC) does not have this system yet, buy YEG and YVR do!
Old May 21, 13, 11:11 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Go YEG!
Old May 23, 13, 4:52 pm

Programs: AC SE(100K), Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Did YEG to YYC to LAX last week and had to retrieve bags at the US customs area. They came almost as soon as I got to the carousel. I suspect that the new system in place in other airports will come with the move into the new terminal. 55 mins can be tight in YYC if you do not have nexus depending on how many US flights are leaving at the time. If its a legal connection on one ticket you should be OK. Just don't doddle getting down to the C gates.
Old Jul 20, 13, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
YVR-EWR

Can I tag onto this thread with a related question?

In-laws are traveling tomorrow night YVR-EWR on AC. Will they clear US customs and immigration (they're US citizens) at YVR (and therefore their flight will be treated as a domestic on arrival)?

This apparently matters to car service companies when deciding how much to charge to come in and get you with a sign...
Old Jul 20, 13, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543 View Post
Can I tag onto this thread with a related question?

In-laws are traveling tomorrow night YVR-EWR on AC. Will they clear US customs and immigration (they're US citizens) at YVR (and therefore their flight will be treated as a domestic on arrival)?

This apparently matters to car service companies when deciding how much to charge to come in and get you with a sign...
Yes, they will clear C&I at YVR.

Search this Thread