Altitude Cards

Old May 19, 13, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Altitude Cards

Can the card that came with my altitude package be used instead of my aeroplan card at other sponsors or do I need to carry both?
Old May 19, 13, 10:49 am

The two are the same. Same mag stripe, same barcode, same number.
Old May 20, 13, 2:57 am

Programs: AC E50K
The Altitude card will stop working on March 1 every year. Cannot even use in Esso to get points for filling gas. The tangerine card works ALL the time.
Old May 20, 13, 3:06 am

Programs: A3 *G; AC
I only have the Altitude card. Do I need to have a tangerine card as well?
Old May 20, 13, 3:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by Spot planes View Post
The Altitude card will stop working on March 1 every year. Cannot even use in Esso to get points for filling gas. The tangerine card works ALL the time.
I didn't even see a to let the OP know that you were joking....
Old May 20, 13, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Are you sure about this? I've been using a 3-year old SE card at several partner vendors and miles have always posted, last being at Home Hardware about two months ago. There is no expiry to elite cards in this regard, just vis a vis your AC elite benefits. And when you stop being an elite, you don't get a tangerine AE card automatically, it must be requested.
Old May 20, 13, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq View Post
I didn't even see a to let the OP know that you were joking....
How do you know s/he wasn't serious? To me this reads as incorrect information that misleads people and if it was a joke, then some sort of emoticom should have been used.
Old May 20, 13, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Hyatt Globalist
Yeah... No. The cards work forever at retailers.
Old May 20, 13, 3:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC E75K/SPG-Marriott Titanium/Accor-FPC Plat/IHG Plat/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
BS. Both the bar code and the stripe work perfectly at Rexall and Esso. I only use the old ones at Esso pay at the pump and keep it in the car.
Old May 20, 13, 5:31 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
The only problem I got was shortly after the Altitude cards were introduced, several different ESSO station attendants did double-takes and asked if it was an Aeroplan card. Guess they're used to the Tangerines.
Old May 21, 13, 2:49 am

Programs: AC E50K
My son's Elite card stop working March 1 this year after he lost his status (no status). His old tangerine card worked. Would that be an isolated incident?
Old May 21, 13, 3:21 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
My son's Elite card stop working March 1 this year after he lost his status (no status). His old tangerine card worked. Would that be an isolated incident?
I'm sure it was. I only use expired cards at Esso, and have never had a problem. I keep the expired cards in my car and regular wallet, the current card
stays in my travel wallet.
Old May 21, 13, 10:20 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC E75K/SPG-Marriott Titanium/Accor-FPC Plat/IHG Plat/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by yqtyyz View Post
The only problem I got was shortly after the Altitude cards were introduced, several different ESSO station attendants did double-takes and asked if it was an Aeroplan card. Guess they're used to the Tangerines.
The attendant at the Esso in Elkhorn, MB advised me that "we don't take Air Miles, you need an orange one, or no go". I assured him that we are good to go. Those E75K cards are VERY blue.
Old May 21, 13, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PointWeasel View Post
The attendant at the Esso in Elkhorn, MB advised me that "we don't take Air Miles, you need an orange one, or no go". I assured him that we are good to go. Those E75K cards are VERY blue.
I've never had an orange one. My old one was white (from ~10 years ago). My new one is the E35K one.

I find it hard to believe they would explicitly ask for an "orange one". I don't even know what it looks like
Old May 21, 13, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E75K (*G), NEXUS
Is there a difference between "using the old card" with a human service attendant versus using it in the self-serve card-reading pump? Perhaps the success-having reports are self-servers and the rejection-having reports are those who tried to give the non-orange card to a person.

Search this Thread