FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Question: YYZ-FRA-PRG or YYZ-MUC-PRG? Aeroplan redemption questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1468402-yyz-fra-prg-yyz-muc-prg-aeroplan-redemption-questions.html)

theOtherHolmes May 19, 2013 8:04 am

YYZ-FRA-PRG or YYZ-MUC-PRG? Aeroplan redemption questions

Booking J reward travel for next April for two people. YYZ-PRA is the first leg. Looks like it's available for the dates we want, but we have two options:

YYZ - FRA - PRA: AC872 (777-300) to FRA, 1hr15min at FRA then LH1392 to PRA.

YYZ - MUC - PRA: AC846 (Airbus330-300) to MUC, 1hr20min at MUC then LH1690 to PRA.

My question is, 1) which is a better J product (comfort, width/ pitch, meals, not necessarily needing to chat with my partner) in late April 2013? 777 or 330?

2) is 1hr 15min. enough of a connection at FRA? Would our flight out of YYZ be delayed? (I assume it's fairly easy to rebook on next flight to PRA though given it's the LH hub).

3) We are prepared to pay the scamcharges for 1-stop to PRA (unfortunately LX at ZRH is either sold out in reward or unavailable yet), as comfort and easy travel are most important to us. We are not elites with AP but hold Amex Plats, though we don't plan on staying at either Germany airport too long if we can get to PRA ASAP. Generally speaking, is FRA that bad? MUC is much superior etc etc?

4) Does AC plan on revamping their J class in YYZ- FRA/ MUC soon? Changing to the "new" flatbeds? I'm claustrophobic and find the current J a bit daunting.

5) According to AP chart, it's 105K AP miles needed for Euro 2 travel in J, correct? Two stopovers etc. included? We will eventually travel to Greece (final destination) then head to Rome then back to YYZ. What's the best J product I can book from Rome to YYZ? Or from anywhere in Italy? Thanks a lot!

Thanks. I would like to book the flight today (assuming AP is open today Sunday May 19 til midnight). is AP open tomorrow (Victoria Day)?

H.

Wings100 May 19, 2013 8:16 am

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes (Post 20775337)
Booking J reward travel for next April for two people. YYZ-PRA is the first leg. Looks like it's available for the dates we want, but we have two options:

YYZ - MUC - PRA: AC846 (Airbus330-300) to MUC, 1hr20min at MUC then LH1690 to PRA.

My question is, 1) which is a better J product (comfort, width/ pitch, meals, not necessarily needing to chat with my partner) in late April 2013? 777 or 330?

2) is 1hr 15min. enough of a connection at FRA? Would our flight out of YYZ be delayed? (I assume it's fairly easy to rebook on next flight to PRA though given it's the LH hub).

3) We are prepared to pay the scamcharges for 1-stop to PRA (unfortunately LX at ZRH is either sold out in reward or unavailable yet), as comfort and easy travel are most important to us. We are not elites with AP but hold Amex Plats, though we don't plan on staying at either Germany airport too long if we can get to PRA ASAP. Generally speaking, is FRA that bad? MUC is much superior etc etc?

4) Does AC plan on revamping their J class in YYZ- FRA/ MUC soon? Changing to the "new" flatbeds? I'm claustrophobic and find the current J a bit daunting.

5) According to AP chart, it's 105K AP miles needed for Euro 2 travel in J, correct? Two stopovers etc. included? We will eventually travel to Greece (final destination) then head to Rome then back to YYZ. What's the best J product I can book from Rome to YYZ? Or from anywhere in Italy? Thanks a lot!

Thanks. I would like to book the flight today (assuming AP is open today Sunday May 19 til midnight). is AP open tomorrow (Victoria Day)?

H.

Product is about the same. 777 a bigger plane. Connection easier in MUC, harder to do in that time frame in FRA but they will put you on the next connection and more options for that in FRA....request Concierge assistance

gtpdiddy May 19, 2013 8:24 am

Dear OP:

>>>>>Both are same seating arrangements: Herringbone. 77W may upgrade to the new 3-cabin configuration and if they fly YYZ-FRA in that config you'll have a staggered 1-2-2 config like in Swiss Air. Both hard products are fine, and meals will be same.

>>>>>MUC is a much better airport to connect, especially if flight is delayed, although FRA has likely more flights to PRA so if you miss a connection you can likely fly out the same day. If you have a J ticket all the way you can relax at the LH Business Lounge while waiting.

>>>>I would recommend MUC then if you want easy of connection. If you have mobility issues you can certainly request wheelchair assistance which can definitely get you through quickly to make a tight FRA connection. It's a life saver in FRA.

>>>See above. If you want privacy take the last row of the first part of the J cabin, most private. It's not clausterphobic on either configuration, nor it really matters with the aircraft type, though 77W will have a wider body.

>>> You may consider booking YYZ-PRA then Greece-Rome-YYZ as an open jaw. If you plan to stay in Rome then maybe YYZ-PRA then Rome-YYZ as open jaw and buy a discount airline fare intra-Europe.

>>>>AP is open 24/7 or until midnight?

hydrogen May 19, 2013 9:01 am

Originally Posted by gtpdiddy (Post 20775403)

>>>>AP is open 24/7 or until midnight?

7 days a week, 7am to midnight EST. I think they take tomorrow off though.

global happy traveller May 19, 2013 9:22 am

how is it urgent when your travelling in 2014 :p;):D

theOtherHolmes May 19, 2013 10:33 am

Booking Reward Flight via AP Call Centre with Two AP Accounts

Hi, here is another question I have for our upcoming flight booking in J:

I will call AP to book our Europe trip flights today for my partner and I. Each of us has about 120K in AP miles in our respective account and the booking requires 105K miles for each roundtrip (Euro2) flight.

Can we ask the agent to book two tickets on the same itinerary with miles from two accounts? My partner will be there to authorize if required.

If so, will the charge for booking be $25 or $50?

Also, what if we can't book the tickets on the same itinerary? Can we ask to book two exactly the same roundtrip tickets by the same agent in one call?

Thanks very much in advance, I understand the answer may be somewhere here already discussed but as I'm rushing to file our taxes as well, I don't have much time to dig around. Really appreciate all your help so far!

H.

yycworldtraveler May 19, 2013 10:51 am

The call centre booking fee is $30/ticket (i.e. per person).

If the miles are coming from 2 accounts you will get 2 PNR's. The agent can not do the booking as one file.

Edit...OK, I guess you could have 1 file if you wanted to pay AE $.02/mile to transfer the miles into a single account and then make the booking...but that would be a crazy thing to do.

iamaho May 19, 2013 10:53 am

Yes.
Before you start, tell the agent that you need 2 J tickets and the miles are coming from 2 accounts. Then you will be on the same itinerary as the agent will tell you if that particular flight does not have 2 seats available.
Fees are $30 x 2 + taxes.

iamaho May 19, 2013 10:56 am

1 hour 15 is not a comfortable connection in FRA, you'd be running and still probably miss your connecting flight. Go for MUC...

scotchmeup May 19, 2013 11:06 am

Originally Posted by gtpdiddy (Post 20775403)
Dear OP:

>>> You may consider booking YYZ-PRA then Greece-Rome-YYZ as an open jaw. If you plan to stay in Rome then maybe YYZ-PRA then Rome-YYZ as open jaw and buy a discount airline fare intra-Europe.

For more options from PRG take a look at SmartWings for a intraeurope link to connect ends of an open jaw. It may give you some ideas of how easy it can be to get around (and low cost) link. As part of an all J intineray into NAP and out of ZUR ,Am using them this Summer from Croatia to PRG. Also check out Easy Jet who have good options as well.

Stranger May 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Actually, if I were going to Prague, rather than spend 105k miles, I might fly to Dresden for 90k miles and take the train. Or if renting a car, I would rent in Dresden.

Stranger May 19, 2013 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by iamaho (Post 20776048)
1 hour 15 is not a comfortable connection in FRA, you'd be running and still probably miss your connecting flight. Go for MUC...

As long as a connection is within the legal limit, not your problem. No reason to feel uncomfortable.

If you miss it, they'll rebook you on the next flight, which is precisely where you end up if giving up without even trying. Better going for a chance to get to destination as early as reasonable.

Additionally, I have never missed a connection at FRA. Even short ones, such as 45 minutes for connections with no security, which is legal.

rankourabu May 19, 2013 6:04 pm

You forgot YYZ-WAW-PRG.

Much lower scamcharges (half), brand new 787, flat beds, not pods, better to travel for two. Easier connection than FRA or MUC.

theOtherHolmes May 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 20777810)
You forgot YYZ-WAW-PRG.

Much lower scamcharges (half), brand new 787, flat beds, not pods, better to travel for two. Easier connection than FRA or MUC.

Thanks for the tip. However, I can't seem to find availability direct YYZ- WAW leg for April 2014. When does LOT release their award seats to AP?

rankourabu May 20, 2013 12:22 am

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes (Post 20778168)
Thanks for the tip. However, I can't seem to find availability direct YYZ- WAW leg for April 2014. When does LOT release their award seats to AP?

330 days... You are looking at this a bit early, but that can be a good thing.

Book United with tight connections and no scamcharges, wait for the inevitable schedule change, voila, you are rebooked for free on AC with no scamcharges due to sched change.