Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC is asking for a fee for a SE / Preferred Seat!!

Old May 16, 13, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SEMM

Trying to select my seats for a US flight ... on an Aeroplan reward ... Preferred seat they want to charge me 25$+tax ... As a super elite ... (this is online) ... the reservation DOES include my SE Aeroplan number ...

Rule is : Preferred and rouge Plus seats for Aeroplan flight rewards are complimentary for Altitude Super Elite 100K members and charges apply for all other customers.

Anyone experienced the same thing???
Old May 16, 13, 1:35 am

AP cannot assign those seats.
Call AC reso to do it.
Old May 16, 13, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E35, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Yup, same here. Other annoying part is that we've got a trip on AP award booking on AC with preferred seats on one leg of the trip - I tried to change the seats for a different segment (not preferred seats) and it tried to charge me for the preferred seats on the other segment again (even though they were already booked and I didn't change them).

So if you want to change any of the other seats for your trip in the future, you'll have to call AC reservations. It's pretty annoying to have to call every time, but at least they can usually sort it out within a few minutes.
Old May 16, 13, 11:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World View Post
Trying to select my seats for a US flight ... on an Aeroplan reward ... Preferred seat they want to charge me 25$+tax ... As a super elite ... (this is online) ... the reservation DOES include my SE Aeroplan number ...

Rule is : Preferred and rouge Plus seats for Aeroplan flight rewards are complimentary for Altitude Super Elite 100K members and charges apply for all other customers.

US doesn't offer preferred seats to elites of other *A airlines. The Preferred Seats on US is only free for elite members of US's Dividend Miles.
Old May 16, 13, 1:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC E75K/SPG-Marriott Titanium/Accor-FPC Plat/IHG Plat/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
If you are referring to an AC Transborder flight (which I think you are) vs a US Airways segment, then yes, there have been issues with this benefit being complimentary online for quite some time. Also, be advised that not every AC call centre agent will know about this benefit, and I have had back and forths with a few agents before they come back and confirm at no charge.
Old May 17, 13, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca View Post
US doesn't offer preferred seats to elites of other *A airlines. The Preferred Seats on US is only free for elite members of US's Dividend Miles.
I flew SFO-CLT-CLE-CLT-SFO, and was able to get free exit row seats during OLCI on everything except CLE-CLT (~1 hour flight). On that one flight, they wanted $25. Very strange, but I'll take what I can get.
Old May 17, 13, 10:44 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
AS a SE with rewards tickets you have to call AC and they will give you the seat, AP cant. If on UA or US its a crap shoot. US usually gives you good seats where UA will not. at the gate or OLCI you may be able to score a good seat, but I always ask at the counter and they are usually good about it.

Good luck and enjoy
Old May 19, 13, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SEMM
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca View Post
These flights are ALL segments on AIR CANADA METAL ... to the "US" = USA this is what I meant ...
Old May 20, 13, 8:30 am

Programs: AC-SE (MM), SPG-Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World View Post

Same deal with me at Easter on an AC flight to FLL. $25 to change to one of the preferred seats.

Search this Thread