Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYZ-NRT: How much would you pay for LMUP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2013, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum

Hi all,

I am new to AC (can't remember the last time I flew to Japan on anything but NH/SQ), so forgive my ignorance, but I wanted to know how people rate the J product specifically on the YYZ-NRT flight. I believe it will be a 777 with herringbone seating, but I know nothing more than what is described on the website.

Factoring in the comfort, ease of sleeping, food, booze, and MLL (keeping in mind I can purchase that for $50 at any time), how much do you think J is worth over Y? For those of you with experience flying this flight, has the LMUP price usually been worth it for you?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 12, 2013, 5:08 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
On UA, you could fly YYZ-SFO-NRT with an upgrade for $550 plus 30,000 miles, I believe. This should be the floor for your AC upgrade price calculations.

I personally find the UA J seat more comfortable than the AC J seat, although the privacy on AC configuration is better for solo travelers.
Old May 12, 2013, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew YYC-NRT and the LMUP was $750.
The opportunity to sleep six hours was worth every dollar !
Old May 12, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
It's a 13 hour flight so I would probably pay quite a lot to be sitting in J... Depending on how much you paid in the first place, the price differential between Flex and Z is about 3K, between Flex and Lat about 1.5K... (picked randomly)...

So I would probably pay up to $1k and maybe more depending on the situation. This is hypothetical for me anyway as I probably wouldn't go if I had to travel in Y
Old May 12, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Originally Posted by mcrw00
Hi all,

I am new to AC (can't remember the last time I flew to Japan on anything but NH/SQ), so forgive my ignorance, but I wanted to know how people rate the J product specifically on the YYZ-NRT flight. I believe it will be a 777 with herringbone seating, but I know nothing more than what is described on the website.

Factoring in the comfort, ease of sleeping, food, booze, and MLL (keeping in mind I can purchase that for $50 at any time), how much do you think J is worth over Y? For those of you with experience flying this flight, has the LMUP price usually been worth it for you?

Thanks in advance!
YYZ-NRT is a great flight with lots of J space for upgrade on a weekday. I've been on AC 1 and 2 several times and the Japanese meal option is excellent. Hard and soft products are quite good.

In terms of LMU vs other options: here're the options:
1) Buy Flex fare and hope for LMU availability at T-24 OLCI
2) Buy Lattitude fare and get instant upgrade confirmation
3) Buy Z fare and be on Exec First confirmed
4) Buy a Flex fare and have one of the good Samaritan FTers who's an SE to upgrade you with their eCredits.

Find out fare difference b/w Flex, Latitude and Z class fare. LMU in my experience YYZ-NRT or NRt-YYZ has been about $800 a few years ago. So, if the fare difference between Flex and Latititude/Z fare class are around that much, I'd go for Option 2 or 3.
Old May 12, 2013, 6:18 pm

How much something is worth to you is a totally personal subjective decision. All people here can help with is provide comparisons to other value propositions.

By *far* the main benefit of business class is the lie-flat bed. The better service and better food and lounge (which technically doesn't come with an AC LMUP) and whatever else are all worth a few bucks but don't justify spending many hundreds of dollars.

If you sleep better on the plane and that saves you a day of vacation then depending on how easily vacation days come to you and how much you're paying for this vacation you may well get hundreds of dollars of value out of it.

On the other hand if you save hundreds of dollars on the flight and spend that on your vacation instead that might improve your vacation by a larger margin....
Old May 13, 2013, 1:18 am

Programs: AC SE100K
it's definitely subjective.

some people would pay $127,000 for the opportunity to sleep on a 5 hour flight.
Old May 15, 2013, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys,

Thank you for all of your insights. I should have mentioned this in the original post, but I already hold a Tango Y ticket for the flight (booking code P), so my options appear to be quite limited. Does Tango shoot up the LMUP offering price significantly as compared to Flex? Can eUpgrade credits even be used with TPAC Tango fares at all?

Of course I understand that the value of premium cabins (or any good/service, for that matter) is inherently subjective, but the comparisons are quite helpful in bringing me to a decision. I have flown J on carriers where I would have paid thousands for the seat (new NH) and also on those where I have felt almost ripped off (UA), so I am just trying to place AC on the spectrum.
Old May 15, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Hi guys,

Thank you for all of your insights. I should have mentioned this in the original post, but I already hold a Tango Y ticket for the flight (booking code P), so my options appear to be quite limited. Does Tango shoot up the LMUP offering price significantly as compared to Flex? Can eUpgrade credits even be used with TPAC Tango fares at all?

Of course I understand that the value of premium cabins (or any good/service, for that matter) is inherently subjective, but the comparisons are quite helpful in bringing me to a decision. I have flown J on carriers where I would have paid thousands for the seat (new NH) and also on those where I have felt almost ripped off (UA), so I am just trying to place AC on the spectrum.
Why don't you see how much it is to upgrade to Z fare? Tango fare you don't earn any miles which would be a shame!
Old May 15, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Lately NRT-YYZ LMU was offered at ~1400. YYZ-HKG 1200. Tango fare.

No problem getting into MLL with the LMU boarding pass.
Old May 15, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Sorry to slightly divert the thread, but I have a similar question - I hold economy tickets Tango (K) for YYZ-CDG and Flex (S) from LHR-YVR. Does anyone know how much the LMUP might cost for either of these segments?
Old May 15, 2013, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by padregusmao
it's definitely subjective.

some people would pay $127,000 for the opportunity to sleep on a 5 hour flight.
I didn't think Netanyahu knew the cost. That's what the article says.

Originally Posted by lily23
Sorry to slightly divert the thread, but I have a similar question - I hold economy tickets Tango (K) for YYZ-CDG and Flex (S) from LHR-YVR. Does anyone know how much the LMUP might cost for either of these segments?
You can check this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ades-here.html.
Old May 15, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Originally Posted by yerffej201
I didn't think Netanyahu knew the cost. That's what the article says.
I think politicians are aware, and assume that they can always get away with it... Somehow this story reminded me of a famous "microphone gaffe":

U.S. President Barack Obama and French President Nicolas Sarkozy were caught on an open microphone making comments in a private conversation about Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. "I can't bear Netanyahu, he's a liar," Mr. Sarkozy told Mr. Obama, who replied: "You're fed up with him, but I have to deal with him every day." They were both unaware that microphones in the meeting room were on. It would not be the first time politicians were unaware of the open microphone.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...article640307/
Old May 19, 2013, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
Why don't you see how much it is to upgrade to Z fare? Tango fare you don't earn any miles which would be a shame!
How much would it cost (ballpark) to go from Tango to Z, and would that be something I would need to discuss with an agent? If I paid for that upgrade and got it confirmed before 24h prior, would the LMUP price at OLCI be adjusted down?

Last edited by mcrw00; May 19, 2013 at 9:52 pm Reason: typo
Old May 19, 2013, 10:02 pm

How much would it cost (ballpark) to go from Tango to Z, and would that be something I would need to discuss with an agent? If I paid for that upgrade and got it confirmed before 24h prior, would the LMUP price at OLCI be adjusted down?
Z is executive lowest, so there would be no need for a further upgrade. You would have purchased a business class ticket. check AS.com and see what Executive lowest is going for on your flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.