Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC or LH for YYZ-FRA in Y

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

AC or LH for YYZ-FRA in Y

I'm going to be flying YYZ-FRA in Y in July, and was wondering if either AC or LH is better over the other in Y for TATL flights.
I have E75 status with AC, so I could pick preferred seats if I fly with AC, but if LH has better service/seats in Y, then I'd be willing to try LH this time.
I could also try upgrading if I fly with AC, but I'm planning on saving my upgrade credits this time.
Any recommendations or preferences?
Old May 9, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by agjil
I'm going to be flying YYZ-FRA in Y in July, and was wondering if either AC or LH is better over the other in Y for TATL flights.
I have E75 status with AC, so I could pick preferred seats if I fly with AC, but if LH has better service/seats in Y, then I'd be willing to try LH this time.
I could also try upgrading if I fly with AC, but I'm planning on saving my upgrade credits this time.
I just had to make the same choice, in the end I went with LH, but AC metal saved a grand and booked into (V) flex. Got Bulkheads both ways, upgd at airport only, but its summer so you never know how aerolotto will play out.
LH seats tend to be tighter than AC to FRA, and there is less padding, so not as comfy. Other than that they are pretty much even right down to the catering.

Last edited by yul36; May 13, 2013 at 8:27 pm
Old May 9, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Is your fare class a Y fare or is it a discounted fare?

I find the LH fares to be horrible in earning AQS / AQM so I avoid LH altogether.

This is my summary having flown both:-

Seat/leg space for 6'3 person: AC > LH
Food quality: LH > AC
Movie selection: AC > LH
In flight entertainment system: AC > LH (AC can watch movies during take-off)
In flight internet: LH > AC (though pricey)
Attitude and service: AC > LH
Aeroplan miles, AQM/AQS: AC > LH

Good luck with your decision and enjoy your flight!
Cheers,
Old May 9, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Beware of LH flights if you want to earn AP miles...

http://www.aircanada.com/shared/en/c...ileage_lh.html

http://www3.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...fthansaAirways

Last edited by iamaho; May 9, 2013 at 8:37 pm
Old May 9, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Just to clarify, yul36 bought the LH codeshare which was operated by AC. Normally I am not a fan of codeshares, but this one seems to be pretty ironclad. Multiple flights plus unlikely to hit bad weather means that it SHOULD go without issues.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I rarely suggest AC, but on this route, go with AC over LH. Yes the F&B is somewhat better on LH, but it's really only 1 meal. If food is important, pack your own meal.
Old May 10, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: AC Altitude 35K, AA, Marriott Silver Elite, NEXUS
would vote AC..have flown both...although did think the german crew were the freindliest I have ever seen....but seat was better, IFE better, food about same and be careful of booking class...
Old May 10, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
AC for sure

Flew LH last July to FRA. Seats are less comfortable. IFE selection is poor, think if I remember there were approx 16 movies incl foreign languages and kids movies. FAs are friendly but generally missing. Washrooms were downstairs. But they were on time.
Old May 10, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA MP - 1K
Originally Posted by cooleddie
Is your fare class a Y fare or is it a discounted fare?

I find the LH fares to be horrible in earning AQS / AQM so I avoid LH altogether.

This is my summary having flown both:-

Seat/leg space for 6'3 person: AC > LH
Food quality: LH > AC
Movie selection: AC > LH
In flight entertainment system: AC > LH (AC can watch movies during take-off)
In flight internet: LH > AC (though pricey)
Attitude and service: AC > LH
Aeroplan miles, AQM/AQS: AC > LH

Good luck with your decision and enjoy your flight!
Cheers,
+1 on the summary!
Old May 10, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I don't know that there's a huge difference between AC and LH in Y ... one's as uncomfortable as the other. On the YYZ-FRA route AC usually runs 777's with their sardine can 3-3-3 layout. It's not so bad if you can score an aisle seat, but the bad news is you will have two other people wanting to get past you to hit the can.

LH usually uses an A340 on that route, with 2-4-2 seating in Y. At least it's one less person climbing over you to visit the crapper. As others have noted, just watch your fare class so you don't get screwed for the miles.
Old May 13, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by Symmetre
On the YYZ-FRA route AC usually runs 777's with their sardine can 3-3-3 layout.
I think 3-3-3 is pretty standard for the 777 across airlines. The 3-4-3 layout on AC's new 3-cabin planes starting in July will be the sardine can!
Old May 13, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
The 2 seats in row 18 are worth the price of admission, in my opinion. I always seek those out upon booking, and if I lose out in the Aerolotto, it's far, far better than being stuck in the middle of the 3-3-3.

Does Lufthansa allow for advanced seating selection if one calls their reservation line? I've only ever dealt with LH for a reward ticket, but I've got a flight to Rome on LH in economy, and although it's only a bit over an hour, would love to have a window seat.
Old May 13, 2013, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Arcanum
I think 3-3-3 is pretty standard for the 777 across airlines. The 3-4-3 layout on AC's new 3-cabin planes starting in July will be the sardine can!
+1

The 3-3-3 layout has wider seats than 2-4-2 in a 340 (and AC has more legroom to boot).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.