Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

United Business First Ticket Maps to AC Tango?!

Old May 7, 13, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite 100K, Fairmont Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5 Star

Hi All,

I booked a set of United Business (United P class) tickets through United for an upcoming vacation because the fare was favorable for the class of travel relative to what Air Canada was charging to get to the same location (KOA). Part of the journey is on AC metal with United codeshare flights. P is Business class on United but AC uses P for Tango. When I called AC to confirm a meal selection for the AC-metal portions of the journey (which United couldn't do for the AC-operated segments for some reason), the agent said "You can't book a meal - that's an economy flight." I assured her we had booked United Business and pointed out the seats are 3A/C which are definitely not Economy. She agreed, and when I asked her why she would have assumed we were in Economy, she said P is Tango on AC, and she assumed the codes were the same across airlines.

This got me wondering, so I just used my AC record locater to take a look at the AC itinerary online, and indeed the AC reservation system shows that my ticket is in Tango!

Is this a known glitch in the AC system? I'm going to bring a paper copy of my tickets in hopes that nothing goes awry on the journey.
Old May 7, 13, 10:32 am

Doesn't UA P map to AC Z?
Old May 7, 13, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hydrogen View Post
Doesn't UA P map to AC Z?
Sure did last time I booked one.
Old May 7, 13, 10:43 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC E75K/SPG-Marriott Titanium/Accor-FPC Plat/IHG Plat/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
P should map to Z but be warned that with some partners, P is now earning only 100% mileage on true flight numbers. OS/SN/LH are all playing that game now.

As an interesting side, note from planning from travel yesterday:

- A3 discounted Business Class booked into A class displays as Tango on AC
- AC Rouge "Premium Economy/Premium Rouge" books into O class...not to be confused with the O class we all love for First Class *A redemptions.
Old May 7, 13, 11:13 am

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
How do you guys figure out the fare mapping? If is based on past experiences? Or is there an actual way to know?

I asked this question last month and got a very detailed answer but have no idea how to get that sort of info on my own. It would be nice to not have to worry about being surprised, but who knows...
Old May 7, 13, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by PointWeasel View Post
P should map to Z but be warned that with some partners, P is now earning only 100% mileage on true flight numbers. OS/SN/LH are all playing that game now.
But the fare is frequently cheaper.

The savings often more than "justify" the fortfeiture of the COS.
Old May 7, 13, 12:26 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Sometimes I wonder if 26 letters is simply not enough for all the fare bucket options...
Old May 7, 13, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite 100K, Fairmont Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5 Star
Stranger and hydrogen got me worried, so I called AC again and they said everything looked fine on their end. Meanwhile, a very kind AC employee PM-ed me (you know who you are - thanks again!) and offered to look into things more carefully. Here's what he reported back. Apparently the web site displays the incorrect P class even though AC's computer has everything correctly recorded. When an AC employee sees the reservation on their computer, if they look all the way to the right they can see that the reservation is booked in J class and they can see the Z booking code. But at first glance, an agent might incorrectly assume P class if they don't inspect the record closely enough.

Anyway, it's all good. Thanks to all who responded.
Old May 7, 13, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyer View Post
and she assumed the codes were the same across airlines.
Silly assumption! R code on BA used to be Concorde, a long way from R on AC...
Old May 7, 13, 1:36 pm

Programs: Altitude SE100K
Originally Posted by Jagboi View Post
Silly assumption! R code on BA used to be Concorde, a long way from R on AC...
Well, R space on the Concorde is pretty much permanently zeroed out now. Much like many AC flights.
Old May 7, 13, 1:44 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Does anyone know what S class on UA ticket but AC metal maps to? Do I get 100% AQM?

Same question for UA A class operated by AC: On the UA website it says First (A) but on AC A class is Tango so definitely not "First"...

I want to make sure before I book anything.
Old May 7, 13, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Livyer View Post
Well, R space on the Concorde is pretty much permanently zeroed out now.
It is a shame. I remember seeing a charter deal in 1997 from Toronto to London, BA Concorde one way, QE2 the other for $3,000. I've always regretted not doing it, but I didn't have $3k to spare then.
Old May 7, 13, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PointWeasel View Post
True. Big improvement from the period when P on LH yielded 0 miles though.
Old May 7, 13, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Livyer View Post
Well, R space on the Concorde is pretty much permanently zeroed out now. Much like many AC flights.
R on SQ is also much different from R on AC
Old May 7, 13, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
My experience, the mirror of OP's situation, AC code (Z fare class) on UA metal maps to P and only earns 25% CoS bonus on an intra-US flight.

Search this Thread