Worth10 eUps YEG-YYZ on E90?

Old May 4, 2013, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired

Is it worth it? Its a 6am flight, but I usually find the E90s pretty comfortable. Perhaps I am just anxious to burn the eUps since I am newly minted...
Old May 4, 2013, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by danapop
Is it worth it? Its a 6am flight, but I usually find the E90s pretty comfortable. Perhaps I am just anxious to burn the eUps since I am newly minted...
Depends how many you have and what other trips you are planning before the end of the year. If you are rationing them, I'd use them on the longer west bound return (dinner and drinks) flight, or TPAC/TATL.
Old May 4, 2013, 6:11 pm

What status are you? What routes do you normally fly? What is the seat availability looking like? Where are you currently sitting?

You're going to need to answer all these in order for us to determine if it would be a good use of your credits. But at the end of the day, it is ultimately your call.
Old May 4, 2013, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hydrogen
What status are you? What routes do you normally fly? What is the seat availability looking like? Where are you currently sitting?

You're going to need to answer all these in order for us to determine if it would be a good use of your credits. But at the end of the day, it is ultimately your call.
Agreed.

I'm sure there will be people here who would say that anything in North America isn't worth it. For me, all my flights are in NA, and I upgrade myself on every AC flight (or at least try to), but I fly M so I have the credits.
Old May 4, 2013, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired

E35 (just minted last week). I will hit E50 at the send of this week, E75 but August 1 and maybe if I am lucky SE by the october deadline.

The bulk of my travel is YEG-YYZ or YEG-YUL or occasional YEG-YYZ-YVR. I sent in a cost analysis last week to my employer about flight passes basically showing cost neutral with increased flexibility so I expect that to be approved.

Right now I am sitting in 12a. And r=2 right now.
Old May 4, 2013, 7:45 pm

E35 (just minted last week). I will hit E50 at the send of this week, E75 but August 1 and maybe if I am lucky SE by the october deadline.

The bulk of my travel is YEG-YYZ or YEG-YUL or occasional YEG-YYZ-YVR. I sent in a cost analysis last week to my employer about flight passes basically showing cost neutral with increased flexibility so I expect that to be approved.

If you're going to be switching to what I assume are M flight passes, that should significantly decrease how many eUps are necessary.

Will you have enough to upgrade all your flights this year? If not, I'd save these 10, and use them to upgrade 2.5 future trips on M fares (as those will only require 4).
Old May 4, 2013, 7:49 pm

Yes, as mentioned, can you use up ~100 credits by 02/14 (assuming you compound E35/50/75 credits)?

If you can't use them all, upgrade.
If you can use them all, don't upgrade.

Also, do you like omelets? I also believe that AC doesn't serve alcohol on such early flights.
Old May 4, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: AC SE
Yes, as mentioned, can you use up ~100 credits by 02/14 (assuming you compound E35/50/75 credits)?

If you can't use them all, upgrade.
If you can use them all, don't upgrade.

Also, do you like omelets? I also believe that AC doesn't serve alcohol on such early flights.
If most of your flying is between YEG and YYZ/YUL, why not, what else are you going to use them for? (although its definitely worth using them for red eyes)

For me, it depends what the rest of your day looks like and how much sleep you will have had. I dont usually eup NA, but have between YEG and YYZ twice this year. I figure for the 6 am flight, I will have had 4 hrs sleep max, given the time it takes me to get out to the airport. If I have to be functional later in the day, its worth it to me..
Old May 4, 2013, 11:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Considering TPAC routes for upgrades are nearly 3 times the price over Flex over Tango, I've started just burning my eUps on YEG-YYZ or YEG-YOW as I know I can't use them going to Asia. I still find Flex fares to be reasonable on going TATL, but, I find more Asia trips in my future than Europe.. Which of course begs the question.. Why the hell am I flying AC? Yeah, that's changed now and going forward i'm a UA customer going to Asia 5-6 times a year.

Let's all vote with our wallets.
Old May 5, 2013, 1:49 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
I agree with the comment that if you will be switching to a flight pass, don't bother spending 10 credits where you will soon be able to use fewer.

Also, which flights do you normally take? I've noticed certain flights are impossible for me to upgrade, and others seem to clear all the time. I do YEG-YUL-YEG regularly, and find 176 eastbound to always clear, but 143 westbound to almost never clear. I think it's worth it for you to check if you're going to be on the same flights regularly. No point saving credits if the flights you're going to be taking always seem to have full J cabins a week out! There's alot of variation on routes based on time of flight and even day of week, so if you're doing the same route, worth checking.

J on the E90 is nice- if you can get a single seat. I find it easier to work on my laptop, and the food is usually not bad, especially considering you probably won't want to hang around the MLL much at 5 am! That being said, I don't mind Y on the E90 either, so if it makes sense for you to save your credits, you're not doomed to a tight middle seat in the back row! Plus, it's eastbound, usually shorter, and it's early enough that you'll probably just want to sleep!
Old May 5, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
If you're going to fly all of that this year and get early recognition on the new statuses, then you'll have loads of e-Ups so I would upgrade without question. They'll all expire by Feb 2014, and you'll be kicking yourself if you have any expire.

Someone said they don't serve alcohol in the mornings, but they do--likely not on the cart though since people normally don't want alcohol at 6 am.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by YQMer
Someone said they don't serve alcohol in the mornings, but they do--likely not on the cart though since people normally don't want alcohol at 6 am.
Where do they hide it? I haven't heard of/seen it on early morning flights. Even the MLL doesn't serve until, what, 10/11am?
Old May 5, 2013, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by YQMer
If you're going to fly all of that this year and get early recognition on the new statuses, then you'll have loads of e-Ups so I would upgrade without question. They'll all expire by Feb 2014, and you'll be kicking yourself if you have any expire.
Do we have any evidence that these will stack this year?
Old May 5, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Starwood Gold
go for it!

I would try to upgrade. Doesnt always mean that your upgrade will come through when you want it. I am also E35 and recently tried to use it after a long flight MUC-YEG. My upgrade did not come through as there were many others with higher status that got upgraded before me.
Old May 5, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Do we have any evidence that these will stack this year?
No, but--even with all that has happened over the past few years--I would be surprised if they didn't stack. They always have, even with eUps before. It's too much of an IT challenge to claw them back likely, and no one has likely thought of it (until your and my posts)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.