Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost Luggage on AC Flight

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2013, 8:28 am
Original Poster

I'm new to this community and I am reaching out as I loaded an untagged suitcase (no airport tag and no personal tag) on the the conveyor belt after crossing at US customs in Toronto traveling to Washington. Don't ask as to why I did not print and put an airport tag on it and you, like me may be wondering why the Air Canada porter, looked at my bag, I asked "Am I all set to go?", he looked my suitcase and looked at me and said "Yes.' He would have seen that there was no tag when he lifted my suitcase on to the conveyer belt.
I called Air Canada's worldwide baggage tracer only to learn that it is located in India and they have no idea how to advise or even what the process of locating the luggage (not their fault as they are just trying to earn an honest living). I also know about the baggage disclaimer form to fill out and return to Montreal but wonder what else I can do.

I'm requesting help from this community as you are seasoned travellers and the tips that I have read in the forums and blog seem valuable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many, many thanks.

Ildi Wiley

Last edited by Cholula; May 4, 2013 at 10:12 am Reason: Removed personal info
Old May 4, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Is there anything in your bag that identifies you? Business card, papers, confirmation form? If so, there's a good, not great, chance you'll get it back.

If you've got medications in there, you should say so. (Don't specify whether you need those medications right away if you don't actually need them right away.)
Old May 4, 2013, 10:14 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
ildiwiley, welcome to FT and we hope you recover your baggage.

We've removed your phone number as the LAST thing you want to do on a public bulletin board is list personal, identifying information.

If anyone has info for you, they can use the PM (Private Messaging) system built into FT.

We'll move this to the AC Forum where it's more likely to be seen.

Cholula
CommunityBuzz! Co-Moderator
Old May 4, 2013, 10:29 am

Minor detail, but the conveyor belt attendant is a GTAA employee, not an Air Canada employee.

I'll echo jerry305's question: are there any identifying marks on the bag? Description? I may be in a position to help you.

Follow-Up question: on which date did this actually occur?
Old May 4, 2013, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by ildiwiley
I called Air Canada's worldwide baggage tracer only to learn that it is located in India
There is a website as well

http://www.worldtracer.aero/filedsp/ac.htm

good luck! you need it with AC.
Old May 4, 2013, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If OP loaded a bag without an AC barcoded (or handwritten) tag, it's unlikely that the bag has gone anywhere and is most likely in quarrantine (due to pre-clearance) at departure point. This one will be most likely dealt with by physically going to the AC bag office at the airport on return (or having someone head there).
Old May 4, 2013, 1:44 pm

I lost a bag in YYZ transferring from Intl to Transborder (was tagged though). Reported it on arrival then 5 days later filled out the paperwork. It was found and returned six weeks later.

Be as specific as possible as to the bag and contents when you do your paperwork. Brands, Colours, Shoe Sizes. The more data, the better. As stated though, if your bag was untagged, it is sitting in YYZ, and a visit to the baggage counter there may help you.
Old May 4, 2013, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
There is a website as well

http://www.worldtracer.aero/filedsp/ac.htm

good luck! you need it with AC.
If I'm reading the OP correctly, AC did not create a Property Irregularity Report so there would be no file reference and thus nothing to search.
Old May 4, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Originally Posted by ildiwiley
I'm new to this community and I am reaching out as I loaded an untagged suitcase (no airport tag and no personal tag) on the the conveyor belt after crossing at US customs in Toronto traveling to Washington. Don't ask as to why I did not print and put an airport tag on it and you, like me may be wondering why the Air Canada porter, looked at my bag, I asked "Am I all set to go?", he looked my suitcase and looked at me and said "Yes.' He would have seen that there was no tag when he lifted my suitcase on to the conveyer belt.
I called Air Canada's worldwide baggage tracer only to learn that it is located in India and they have no idea how to advise or even what the process of locating the luggage (not their fault as they are just trying to earn an honest living). I also know about the baggage disclaimer form to fill out and return to Montreal but wonder what else I can do.

I'm requesting help from this community as you are seasoned travellers and the tips that I have read in the forums and blog seem valuable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many, many thanks.

Ildi Wiley
I smell a rat here.
Old May 4, 2013, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I have identification in my suitcase, business cards, and documents.
This happened on Wednesday, May 1st.
Please let me know if I can contact you.

THANK YOU so much for your help.
Old May 4, 2013, 3:43 pm

Feel free to contact, but really you need to start with AC and report the luggage missing.
Old May 4, 2013, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

THANK YOU!

This incident took place on May 1st. Yes, I have several business documents in my suitcase to identify me as the owner.

THANK YOU to each of you who took the time to offer me help.
Old May 4, 2013, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for taking care of this on my behalf. How do I get to the AC Forum?
Old May 4, 2013, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by PropWasher
I smell a rat here.
It happens. Far more often than you think.
Old May 4, 2013, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYZC2
It happens. Far more often than you think.
What happens?

People try to bypass the checked luggage fee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.