Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

De-Icing in May!? Common? Has anyone experienced?

Old May 1, 13, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Flew AC146 (YYCYYZ redeye) last night ...... As we pushed back a couple minutes after midnight (technically very early May 1st) the Captain comes on and says we require some de-icing of the leading edges. De-icing in May!?!?!
Has anyone experienced this? I know the weather is wild out west but I couldn’t believe my ears.
This, contrasted with the LAS-YYC flight I took into Calgary that evening where it measured 101’F at liftoff on the field.
Old May 1, 13, 9:14 am
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Yes, experienced it a few times in April/May and I´m sure they wouldn´t do it if it weren´t necessary. Temperatures were below zero in AB yesterday with freezing rain and strong winds in some areas, so seems like a good idea to me.
Old May 1, 13, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It depends on the weather.

For what it's worth, I've had delays in PHX because it was too hot to take off. Or at least that's what they told us.
Old May 1, 13, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
Yes, experienced it a few times in April/May and I´m sure they wouldn´t do it if it weren´t necessary. Temperatures were below zero in AB yesterday with freezing rain and strong winds in some areas, so seems like a good idea to me.
Really wasn't questioning the Captain's skill or decision making ability.

Just shocked by the weather. I've only been via YYC a handful.

I guess I was further blown away by the extreme heat just a 2h15m flight south
Old May 1, 13, 9:28 am

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
We had a lot of snow in Edmonton the last two days..... De-Icing is the last of our problems - apperently we are still in the dead of winter of here...
Old May 1, 13, 9:31 am

Programs: AC*SE100K
Given that it was snowing in Denver last week, I don't find this surprising. We are 3550 ft
Old May 1, 13, 9:36 am

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Ritz-Carlton Rewards Silver, Le Club Accor Silver
Yup. And, frankly, this is, well, the only reason we fly AC (and only AC) to and from Canada. They know how to handle the extreme weather. We have taken flights (from Ottawa) in the dead of winter, and they have de-iced more than once, because the plane was sitting there too long. AC is a crappy airline in a lot of ways, but in terms of handling weather and safety issues, they seem to do a good job of it. Knock wood.
Old May 1, 13, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There will be de-icing at MSP today and tomorrow, probably also snowplows on the runways to get rid of 3-6" inches of slush predicted.
Old May 1, 13, 10:01 am
Original Poster

I cannot believe how out of the loop I am on the weather issues right now!? Just hit weather.com

Wondered why no one on the plane even batted an eyelash when Capt announced de-ice requirement.

BBL season starts Apr 1 .... I don't remember many snow games for Twins or Rockies??
Old May 1, 13, 10:06 am

This must have been as surprising to an "Easterner" as when my plane got de-iced at YYC on August 23rd, at the other end of Alberta summer.
Old May 1, 13, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow View Post
I cannot believe how out of the loop I am on the weather issues right now!? Just hit weather.com

Wondered why no one on the plane even batted an eyelash when Capt announced de-ice requirement.

BBL season starts Apr 1 .... I don't remember many snow games for Twins or Rockies??

Well, it's snowing in Denver today, in fact it's been quite a blizzard. AC has even waived change fees for DEN. But Rockies are playing on the road, in presumably warm Los Angeles.
Old May 1, 13, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hazcaddy View Post
This must have been as surprising to an "Easterner" as when my plane got de-iced at YYC on August 23rd, at the other end of Alberta summer.
That is mind boggling. De icing on Aug23.
Had no idea. wow
Old May 1, 13, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-2MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
When I checked weather this morning (8:30 edt), it was -8C in Calgary...
Old May 1, 13, 12:57 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
-8 in Calgary, I just cut my lawn in shorts, here in Ottawa where its 22 and I return to my office in Calgary tomorrow, where I will not be wearing shorts! the reality is just settling in!
Old May 1, 13, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr View Post
-8 in Calgary, I just cut my lawn in shorts, here in Ottawa where its 22 and I return to my office in Calgary tomorrow, where I will not be wearing shorts! the reality is just settling in!
Well, it was around 22°C in Edmonton last Friday, but the good weather didn´t last very long.

Search this Thread