I'm a big guy (apparently)

Old Apr 30, 13, 11:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I'm a big guy (apparently)

On my flight from YYZ-YVR today, the FA said I was big but should slow down my drinking, does this Asian girl have any right to say this?
Old Apr 30, 13, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by AClove View Post
does this Asian girl have any right to say this?
Depends on how many drinks you were crushing. Not many things more annoying on a plane than some clown crushing drinks at a break neck pace like they've never seen alcohol.
I want to flip these guys a $20 to buy himself a mickey when we land and go up to his lonely room and go to town . . . Lame

Can you imagine the stares a fat person would get if they took the ice cream and mashed it into their faces and kept bugging the FAs for more!?? A booze pig is far worse in my mind
Old Apr 30, 13, 11:53 pm
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
On my flight from YYZ-YVR today, the FA said I was big but should slow down my drinking, does this Asian girl have any right to say this?
Yes, absolutely, itīs the FAīs responsibility to ensure that pax are not intoxicated.

Now there are of course always two sides to the story, but I have not once experienced an Air Canada FA who would cut off a pax without good reason (i.e. pax having had a few too many drinks already).

IME it also depends on what you drink. Five generous glasses of wine? No problem, at least IME. Five G&T? Iīve seen FAs making similar comments / offering a soft drink instead. Even though both pax would have consumed the same amount of alcohol, I think there is a general tendency to believe that wine drinkers cause less trouble than pax who have a few too many shots.
Old Apr 30, 13, 11:53 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow View Post
Not many things more annoying on a plane than some clown crushing drinks at a break neck pace like they've never seen alcohol.
Really?? I bet I could make a pretty big list of far more irritating things.
Old Apr 30, 13, 11:55 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
Yes, absolutely, itīs the FAīs responsibility to ensure that pax are not intoxicated.

Now there are of course always two sides to the story, but I have not once experienced an Air Canada FA who would cut off a pax without good reason (i.e. pax having had a few too many drinks already).

IME it also depends on what you drink. Five generous glasses of wine? No problem, at least IME. Five G&T? Iīve seen FAs making similar comments to your experience / offering a softdrink instead. Even though both pax would have consumed the same amount of alcohol, I think there is a general tendency to believe that wine drinkers cause less trouble.
I was cut off after 3 mini glasses of wine, when I asked for a 4th about 30 minutes past dinner service on an AC long haul.

I hadn't moved from my seat. Had my headphones on the entire time watching a movie. Hadn't drank before my flight.

Was the strangest thing. I think that the FA's either miscounted or mixed me up with another passenger.
Old Apr 30, 13, 11:58 pm
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I was cut off after 3 mini glasses of wine, when I asked for a 4th about 30 minutes past dinner service on an AC long haul.

I hadn't moved from my seat. Had my headphones on the entire time watching a movie. Hadn't drank before my flight.

Was the strangest thing. I think that the FA's either miscounted or mixed me up with another passenger.
Wow, thatīs strange. Especially since FAs seem to be more generous when serving drinks to SEs IME. Thinking she may have been confused...

Itīs usually me who needs to tell the FA I donīt need any more wine. (Not that I over-indulge, but IMO a few glasses of wine improve the overall flying experience.)
Old May 1, 13, 12:04 am

I would say it depends on exactly what she said, how many drinks you had and, yes, on your body size/type.

As on overall issue, the FA absolutely has the right and authority to regulate how much you drink. It is no doubt a difficult issue for anybody that has to cut off somebody, and there is no one right way to handle it. Personally, I have never been cut off but I would at least appreciate it if the FA said something along the lines of, 'sure, I can get you one more beer, but this will have to be the last one for a while'.

Last edited by will2288; May 1, 13 at 3:25 am
Old May 1, 13, 12:07 am

Programs: AC.SE
[...] Asian girl [...]
Trying to figure out what this has to do with anything...
Old May 1, 13, 12:14 am

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Originally Posted by ylwae View Post
Thinking the same thing here.
Old May 1, 13, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
I have not once experienced an Air Canada FA who would cut off a pax without good reason
Itīs usually me who needs to tell the FA I donīt need any more wine.
I find I get served about the same amount of alcohol on a SFO-YVR trip (~2 hours) as a YVR-YUL/YYZ trip (~5 hours).

I don't know what it is, but on the longer flights on the 320/321, they just aren't trying as hard to keep me topped up, and sometimes I have to ask.

Whereas on the E190, it gets to the point where I really hesitate when they ask if I want more. I've never said no yet, but I've come pretty close.

I'm always sitting there quietly watching a movie on my tablet, and I'm always polite with the FAs, but I get very different treatment based on nothing more than the flight length or aircraft size.

If a FA tried to cut me off, and I did not believe I needed to be (and I'm pretty good about knowing this), I'd probably say so, politely. If that didn't help, I'm not sure what I'd do. There are reasons I like flying J, and the alcohol is one of them . I certainly wouldn't shout or get violent, but I'd probably write up a complaint after the flight.
Old May 1, 13, 12:48 am

Programs: AC S100K, Bonvoy Titanium
does this Asian girl have any right to say this
Old May 1, 13, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by teriyaki View Post
Thinking the same thing here.
Me 3.
Old May 1, 13, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by ylwae View Post
I just assumed it meant she was smaller and therefore didn't necessarily know the OP's capacity for booze.
Old May 1, 13, 3:00 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
If its a Friday afternoon...

...I'm having cocktails on my way home.
Never had anyone cut me off, but I've been asked twice if I was driving, once i explained both times I was taking a limo, they never stopped pouring.
I never had an issue with someone wanting to stop me if they thought I was gonna jump in my car.
Old May 1, 13, 3:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Yes she does. Being "slowed down" and being cut off are two very different things.

Last edited by ACYYZ/SD; May 1, 13 at 3:36 am

Search this Thread