Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Free" J class YYZ-LHR tickets cost $1136

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Free" J class YYZ-LHR tickets cost $1136

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2013, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E50k, MM
Originally Posted by ensco
AP has value if your are SE and want to use points in high season. That's it.
Which describes me perfectly, but I still reserve the right to ..... and moan about the Scamcharges.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by wayner92
Which describes me perfectly, but I still reserve the right to ..... and moan about the Scamcharges.
Well, you DID moan and you are STILL flying with them.

You are EXACTLY what AC wants! Another satisfied AC customer! Enjoy your trip

Now... WHAT was the point of this entire thread again (besides getting to 35 posts)?

Last edited by sp4294; May 2, 2013 at 10:17 pm
Old May 3, 2013, 2:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I do not get it. I truly do not get it. I fly twice a year from Vancouver to Europe and back. I like business Typically a business class trip from YVR to Europe on AC is 4500 CAD at least but more often than not it's more than $5000.

I can trick a trip to Europe (yes, US transit but only one way, oh well, just had my NEXUS interview today) for 90 000 miles plus less than 600 in fees. That makes one point worth 5 cents (!) when I can buy them for 3c directly from Aeroplan and it's not too hard to get them for 2 cent (Plastiq is 2 cents exactly, SPG is even better: buy 20 000 SPG points with their 15% discount, on transfer you get 5000 from SPG, 4000 from Air Canada making it less than 1.8c) occasionally even less (50K points with AMEX for $500 that's 1c).

What am I missing here? Even if you were to pay $1000 in fees and we presume your equivalent ticket is $4500 ticket, your 90k miles replace paying $3500 making one mile value close to 3.9c. There's a saving in Aeroplan even for that case.

In other words, if I pay two cents for my miles and 1000 dollars in fees, I am paying $2800 for an YVR-Europe business class return. Do you guys know a way to buy YVR-Europe return below $3000 on business class with just dollars and no miles trickery? (Note. Air Transat Club class is not business, gimme a break.)

Maybe United's program is better but as I do not fly enough (by far) to have a meaningful status / point accumulation just by flying -- instead I rely on purchases, cards (I use an Aeroplan Visa card) to have enough points and I doubt Canada offers many good chances for United.

Edit: if the problem is that the reward tickets are supposed to be free, I can't care less, sorry.

Last edited by chx1975; May 3, 2013 at 12:25 pm
Old May 8, 2013, 4:36 pm

I just tried to book multiple YYZ - USA flights (one way) in June. United.com shows lots of availability for my date of travel, but when I called Aeroplan and fed them the various (United) flight details, they said they showed no availability. The agent kept trying to get my to fly AC and therefore pay the scamcharges.

Is it possible that united.com shows availability that is in fact not open to Aeroplan? Should I keep calling back and trying for another agent, supervisor, or am I stuck?
Old May 8, 2013, 4:45 pm

Programs: SE 100K MM,UA Gold, Marriott Titanium,Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by INEC
I just tried to book multiple YYZ - USA flights (one way) in June. United.com shows lots of availability for my date of travel, but when I called Aeroplan and fed them the various (United) flight details, they said they showed no availability. The agent kept trying to get my to fly AC and therefore pay the scamcharges.

Is it possible that united.com shows availability that is in fact not open to Aeroplan? Should I keep calling back and trying for another agent, supervisor, or am I stuck?
were you seeing Saver (BLUE) award inventory? This is the only ones that you can access via aeroplan.
Old May 8, 2013, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by INEC

not unless you are trying to book out of an elite United account. And of course as mentioned, they must be blue - saver awards.

Also, fees wont correspond, Aeroplan adds extra govt taxes (NAV CAN?) on top of scamcharges.
Old May 8, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
not unless you are trying to book out of an elite United account. And of course as mentioned, they must be blue - saver awards.

Also, fees wont correspond, Aeroplan adds extra govt taxes (NAV CAN?) on top of scamcharges.
It does happen from time to time on regional flights that united.com shows extra availability that can't be booked by star alliance partner airlines. I've experienced this myself on ewr-yow. Couldn't book on any partners (AC, US) but could book with my UA miles.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by arcticbull
It does happen from time to time on regional flights that united.com shows extra availability that can't be booked by star alliance partner airlines. I've experienced this myself on ewr-yow. Couldn't book on any partners (AC, US) but could book with my UA miles.
The only way thats possible if the flight is operated by Silver or Cape.

The rest should be available to others - its generic I inventory.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by AC854
Lots of folk weighing in re the fees charges BUT a couple more considerations for those of us in the West, (a) most if not all offered aeroplan rewards for J YVR/LHR start at 180,000 (b) trying to get a direct J seat (i.e. not via Toronto/Montreal or Ottawa) is like wishing for a ride on the concorde. At least you guys (and gals) in the centre of the universe actually go to LHR when the door closes - for us YVR via YYZ to LHR is painful indeed. I'll acknowledge that Y seat availability is a seperate matter.
Not to hijack this thread (well maybe), but I have been suffering from the above the last few months, trying to get some j seats on aeroplan to europe for the end of June. Some just showed up on lufthansa...biz class all the way (we are going to france) so there is availability...yes loads of fees, but at least they are there.
Cheers from 30000 feet on Alaska Airlines (with a 50 dollar LMU YVR to lax)...

Yay!

Lornag
Old May 9, 2013, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
I really don't understand the paranoia about going through the USA, especially considering we are a country where 90% of us live within 100 miles of the border.

I am wondering if everyone who complains about transiting through the USA should either apply for a pardon, or stop smoking weed... ?
Old May 9, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Boogie711
I really don't understand the paranoia about going through the USA, especially considering we are a country where 90% of us live within 100 miles of the border.

I am wondering if everyone who complains about transiting through the USA should either apply for a pardon, or stop smoking weed... ?
What is there not to understand? Without Nexus/GE, it's an enormous pain in the butt. I've had colleagues spend 3-4 hours waiting to pass immigration at MIA and JFK just to save some $$$ on their airfare.

Some people, especially infrequent flyers who aren't familiar with every airport in North America and who don't belong to trusted traveller programs, would happily spend their money on a Canadian airline instead of transiting through the US. And I haven't even mentioned the crooks who work for the TSA...

Not all Canadians are pot smokers or criminals
Old May 9, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Originally Posted by rankourabu
No, on united.com, those fees are for using United miles - not useless Aeroplan miles. You use Aeroplan - you pay the fees.
Not true. I recently booked YQR-EZE on the AE website (by the way, the AE site allowed me to book 7 tickets all together in the same flights!). Flights on United (well, one short leg on AC) and total taxes/fees came to $138 per ticket.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Boogie711

Paranoia? Maybe.

I don't like my checked baggage to be rampaged by dirty, dishonest TSA thugs without my presence. If they don't trust me, why do I trust them?

90% of us live within 160 km of the border doesn't mean that I belong to that country.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by ffsim
What is there not to understand? Without Nexus/GE, it's an enormous pain in the butt. I've had colleagues spend 3-4 hours waiting to pass immigration at MIA and JFK just to save some $$$ on their airfare.

Sorry for wandering off topic, but I have to ask - is that typical at MIA and JFK?

I have only transited from overseas to Canada through ORD and found US customs (I have no Nexus/GE) there to be a not-too-painful process besides just having to wait a bit... not unlike waiting in a longish customs line at YYZ. I think the longest I ever waited was like maybe 30 minutes tops?

Are the lines in other US airports that much worse? If so I will take it into account when planning connections...
Old May 9, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by heraclitus

Sorry for wandering off topic, but I have to ask - is that typical at MIA and JFK?
I'm not sure if it's typical or not -- my colleagues only made the "mistake" of connecting in the US once at each airport

That being said, I assume the delay was in large part due to a high number of arriving international flights. Maybe they were just unlucky, but they weren't interested in gathering further empirical data

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.