Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Free" J class YYZ-LHR tickets cost $1136

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Free" J class YYZ-LHR tickets cost $1136

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2013, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by wayner92
As Bob Dylan said, "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.".
wait, you started this thread complaining about the insane fees that Air Canada charges you on Aeroplan tickets, which is fact

But you claim that Air Canada is the best in North America - which we can debate forever, and I am not gonna argue against your opinion.

You cant have it both ways - if you really feel Air Canada is the best thing in aviation, than you cant complain about them stealing $770 from you on an Aeroplan booking.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
Ah I see. You get 100% status miles plus 100% bonus on LH as 1K; I just avoid that airline or fly in a fare bucket that earns 100% status. BTW there doesn't seem to be a dedicated mini-RTW/RTW thread on UA forum, unlike AC, which would've helped me decide if I should switch entirely to UA even for status collection. Although some threads have very creative extensive 1-way flights to minimize mileage requirement and taxes but maximize in J/F! I agree changing reward itineraries especially for new J/F seat openings for free on UA is nice!
bolded - to those of us who fly 100k+ out of pocket on vacations, this is simply not an option.
To these two who fly 100K+ out of pocket on vacations, this is the ONLY option.

With an AC B fare, one can assure of an upgrade while there is no need to go through the US. And a B fare can be changed at any time. Better than Z fare.
Old May 2, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jarusoba
To these two who fly 100K+ out of pocket on vacations, this is the ONLY option.

With an AC B fare, one can assure of an upgrade while there is no need to go through the US. And a B fare can be changed at any time. Better than Z fare.
Not everyone has a silver spoon, some of us value our money, and will not be fleeced by AC - when one can buy a W fare on UA - and have the upgrade confirmed months/weeks ahead.
Old May 2, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA 1K, AC 35K, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Not everyone has a silver spoon, some of us value our money, and will not be fleeced by AC - when one can buy a W fare on UA - and have the upgrade confirmed months/weeks ahead.
Amen brother!
Old May 2, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
wait, you started this thread complaining about the insane fees that Air Canada charges you on Aeroplan tickets, which is fact

But you claim that Air Canada is the best in North America - which we can debate forever, and I am not gonna argue against your opinion.

You cant have it both ways - if you really feel Air Canada is the best thing in aviation, than you cant complain about them stealing $770 from you on an Aeroplan booking.
^
If you love AC so much, then shut up and pay whatever they demands from you... simple as that. For the common folks, we voted with our wallets! I don't complain anymore because I am not held hostage by AC/Aeroplan anymore!
Old May 2, 2013, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver

Stolen as in past tense as OP has opted for AC and noted so in this post.

J Class YYZ-LHR return

Total in Canadian dollars : $1,136.46

$770 is Fuel Scamcharge

90,000 points
Old May 2, 2013, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E50k, MM

You are putting words in my mouth, I never said that AC was the best thing in aviation. Just because AC is screwing us consumers with a scamcharge of $770 doesn't mean that they don't, IMHO, offer better services and lounges than UA, Delta, etc.

I believe that Motel 6 often (always?) includes free Wifi with their room charges while Four Seasons often charges you an additional fee of $20 which, IMHO, is a scam. Does that make Motel 6 a better hotel chain than Four Seasons? I would say no. And just because UA doesn't charge a Fuel Surcharge for Reward tickets doesn't make them a better airline than AC.
Old May 2, 2013, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And just because UA doesn't charge a Fuel Surcharge for Reward tickets doesn't make them a better airline than AC.
No, several other things do - such as free economy plus, full mileage earning on all fares, etc.

Again, if you are going to continue flying AC - and moreover, continue to accrue Aeroplan miles while doing so - you have no basis to complain when it comes to $770 fuel surcharge - its your choice.
Old May 2, 2013, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E50k, MM
Again, if you are going to continue flying AC - and moreover, continue to accrue Aeroplan miles while doing so - you have no basis to complain when it comes to $770 fuel surcharge - its your choice.
So who do you recommend when my frequent trips are YYZ-LHR and YYZ-HKG? I could fly BA but I hear their scamcharges are just as bad. I could look into Cathay but the timing of their YYZ-HKG flight isn't ideal as you leave YYZ at 0140 and land in HKG at 0500. But if Cathay doesn't do scamcharges then that is the option.

I guess the other option is to collect my points on UA MP.
Old May 2, 2013, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So who do you recommend when my frequent trips are YYZ-LHR and YYZ-HKG? I could fly BA but I hear their scamcharges are just as bad. I could look into Cathay but the timing of their YYZ-HKG flight isn't ideal as you leave YYZ at 0140 and land in HKG at 0500. But if Cathay doesn't do scamcharges then that is the option.

I guess the other option is to collect my points on UA MP.
You know, you can still fly your beloved AC - and collect UA MP - that is what many here are doing.

It depends entirely on what you are looking for, upgrades on AC = Aeroplan = high redemption fees. If you value awards more = UA MP.
Old May 2, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
I don't have a silver spoon either. If I did, I would fly Gulf Stream.

I also value my money. But I value more the fact that I don't have to go via the US when I fly AC.

Originally Posted by huntk
Amen brother!
Old May 2, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: aeroplan Elite, Priority Club. HHonours
Originally Posted by tcook052
Stolen as in past tense as OP has opted for AC and noted so in this post.

Lots of folk weighing in re the fees charges BUT a couple more considerations for those of us in the West, (a) most if not all offered aeroplan rewards for J YVR/LHR start at 180,000 (b) trying to get a direct J seat (i.e. not via Toronto/Montreal or Ottawa) is like wishing for a ride on the concorde. At least you guys (and gals) in the centre of the universe actually go to LHR when the door closes - for us YVR via YYZ to LHR is painful indeed. I'll acknowledge that Y seat availability is a seperate matter.
Old May 2, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Originally Posted by jarusoba
I also value my money. But I value more the fact that I don't have to go via the US when I fly AC.
Everyone have their own priority and price.
Some value miles accumulation, other value avoiding connecting via USA.

Unless you are willing to pay Flex fare and play Aerolotto...
Then you can always fly AC direct (with Tango fare) and accumulate with UA Mileage Plus for 100% of the miles. Essentially the best of both worlds IMO...
Old May 2, 2013, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by iamaho
Everyone have their own priority and price.
Some value miles accumulation, other value avoiding connecting via USA.

Unless you are willing to pay Flex fare and play Aerolotto...
Then you can always fly AC direct (with Tango fare) and accumulate with UA Mileage Plus for 100% of the miles. Essentially the best of both worlds IMO...
No, I'm not willing to pay Flex fare and play Aerolotto. I want to pay Latitude fare and upgrade right away.

And I DON'T want to sit in the back! Not even E+.
Old May 2, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: AC*SE,MM
AP has value if your are SE and want to use points in high season. That's it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.