Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Free" J class YYZ-LHR tickets cost $1136

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Free" J class YYZ-LHR tickets cost $1136

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Yes, AC and LH get charged lots of scamcharges on AE reward. Unfortunately for those who want to be SE or E75K you will still clock >100K on AE points so you'll have to burn them somehow every year anyway.
Old May 1, 2013, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Ps the LH F flights on UA, u sure they are not the infamous phantom availability?
LOL. That is another thread.
Old May 1, 2013, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E50k, MM
So is the best thing then to join UA MP and then use that FF number for accumulating points when flying AC? I will still be flying AC as I go to London at least once a quarter and the only other option is BA which doesn't seem any better when it comes to Scamcharges.

Is there any downside to accumulating my points on UA MP rather than Aeroplan?
Old May 1, 2013, 7:57 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by wayner92

Is there any downside to accumulating my points on UA MP rather than Aeroplan?
Yes, you will lose your SE status and won't be able to access enhanced reward availability on Air Canada.
Old May 1, 2013, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by ABG
Yes, you will lose your SE status and won't be able to access enhanced reward availability on Air Canada.
Agreed. UA status is not worth it in my opinion unless you're 1K member since there're so many US travellers with UA status that your status is really diluted both in terms of domestic and international upgrades on UA metal flights, which are in my opinion not worth pursuing. However, if you want to minimize tax surcharges on reward travel and have access to a US-based credit card, go for the Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA which gets you 1:1 transfer to your UA MP account and can be used to redeem upgrades and flight rewards. I would say keep your SE status and the concierge service access, and spill any extra miles after 100K to UA MP for reward redemption and UA upgrade purposes.
Old May 1, 2013, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
... if have access to a US-based credit card, go for the Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA which gets you 1:1 transfer to your UA MP account and can be used to redeem upgrades and flight rewards.
If you have access to US-based credit cards, that opens up a whole new world.
There are a lot of other Chase cards for accumulating UA miles without having to fly UA, plus 30K to 75K mile sign up/first or minimal spend bonuses and bonus miles for category spending (5x office supplies and telco/cell/cable). I have 5 Chase cards (Mrs. SFO has 3) and in the past 12 months, we've added over 700K to our UA accounts with only 10K from actual UA flights.
Old May 1, 2013, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
If you have access to US-based credit cards, that opens up a whole new world.
There are a lot of other Chase cards for accumulating UA miles without having to fly UA, plus 30K to 75K mile sign up/first or minimal spend bonuses and bonus miles for category spending (5x office supplies and telco/cell/cable). I have 5 Chase cards (Mrs. SFO has 3) and in the past 12 months, we've added over 700K to our UA accounts with only 10K from actual UA flights.
Wow, you must be a CC churning guru! I don't have a business account and won't accumulate that much; just mostly for travel and personal charges. I fly UA only domestically for AE points and AC status. So far Chase Sapphire preferred seems best since there's no foreign transaction fees for overseas usage. Got 40K signing bonus which is great. Kind of wish they have the similar AE point multiplier conversion promotion (e.g. from SPG points). I used to accumulate AMEX SPG and convert to AE points with promotion and bonus but with AE scamcharges I've switched 100% to Chase Visa for UA miles accumulation.

My wallet is also not that big to fit 5 Chase cards.
Old May 1, 2013, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I have SE status, and accidentally got UA 1K status as well last year. (I flew close to 300K revenue miles last year and decided to not put all my eggs in one basket.) Lucky me after the latest round of enhancements announced in Oct 2012!

OP, just so you fully grasp how much AC is ripping you off (sorry but there is no other way to say it), I did a quick search on UA. I have no idea what your travel dates are so I just picked 2 days where there was availability on AC in J class.

Oct 15 AC856 YYZ-LHR
Oct 19 AC869 LHR-YYZ

To book this ticket would cost you 100K Mileage Plus miles + $318.60. And as you've noted earlier, most of this amount is because of LHR's exorbitant fees. So do you think UA is absorbing the extra $800 that AE wants to charge you or do you think those fuel surcharges are something AC dreamed up to pad the bottom line?

I will really miss AC but I've had enough of them sticking their hand in my wallet. I am neither wealthy nor on an expense account, which is why this will be my last year as SE. Sniff.
Wow - you are Mrs. AC! If you are bailing, I'm definitely considering the switch...
Old May 1, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by slaman
Wow - you are Mrs. AC! If you are bailing, I'm definitely considering the switch...
It makes ZERO sense for those of us who pay for their own flights and/or fly 100k+ for vacations in a year, to stay with AC... Absolutely ZERO. Paying double for flex just to earn miles and have a chance of an upgrade, only for it not to clear later - makes zero sense.
Old May 1, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
If I could get a UA-affiliated credit card here in Canada, I'd leave AE in a heartbeat.

But I guess there is a reason you can get umpteen different airline affiliated credit cards in Canada except UA.
Old May 1, 2013, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
It makes ZERO sense for those of us who pay for their own flights and/or fly 100k+ for vacations in a year, to stay with AC... Absolutely ZERO. Paying double for flex just to earn miles and have a chance of an upgrade, only for it not to clear later - makes zero sense.
Agreed. My situation has been different - I domestically travel on the company dime always in Flex fare. I stay with AC since I want the ability to eupgrade these flights...

I travel in F once a year on a reward ticket with my wife - so I guess status doesn't matter for those flights since I get all the benefits anyways.

However, my situation has changed - I won't be travelling for work as much, and will need to rely on CC churning to accumulate miles. I should start accumulating in a different program now I guess...

I just hate flying through the States for international travel, so I would only use UA for award redemptions... and the selling factor for me with AC is the flexibility of the stop-overs and the routing... I'm flying YYZ-WAW-FRA (stop) - VIE (dest) - WAW (stop) - YYZ on my next ticket. Not sure you can do that with UA?

My parents (with my booking help of course), are flying YEG-YYZ-FRA (stop) - IST (dest) - FRA - YYZ (stop) - YEG all on one ticket as well.
Old May 1, 2013, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by heraclitus
If I could get a UA-affiliated credit card here in Canada, I'd leave AE in a heartbeat.

But I guess there is a reason you can get umpteen different airline affiliated credit cards in Canada except UA.
Was about to suggest SPG Amex, but noticed UA is one of their few transfer partners that doesn't work on a 1:1 ratio.

I hear the US Airways programme is good and Starwood does a 1:1 transfer to that programme.
Old May 1, 2013, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm flying YYZ-WAW-FRA (stop) - VIE (dest) - WAW (stop) - YYZ on my next ticket. Not sure you can do that with UA?
My parents (with my booking help of course), are flying YEG-YYZ-FRA (stop) - IST (dest) - FRA - YYZ (stop) - YEG all on one ticket as well.
As long as you are using *A airlines, UA can do it.
Old May 1, 2013, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I just hate flying through the States for international travel, so I would only use UA for award redemptions... and the selling factor for me with AC is the flexibility of the stop-overs and the routing... I'm flying YYZ-WAW-FRA (stop) - VIE (dest) - WAW (stop) - YYZ on my next ticket. Not sure you can do that with UA?

Flying thru the States is no big deal with GE.
You can do 1 stopover + 2 open jaws with UA
You can do one ways for half mileage - and if you know how - add stopovers to one way awards

Your ticket probabl cost upwards of $900 in J in scamcharges - and would have cost about $200 with UA. That is a HUGE differencfe. One that cannot be justified.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Purely a financial decision. I would have preferred to stick with AC but they've enhanced me to the point of no return.

Everyone has different circumstances, but as a purely leisure flier who pays for all her own tickets, AC no longer makes sense for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.