Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Final "M" in my name omitted from reservation

Old Apr 28, 13, 3:44 am
uwr
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 1K

I bought tickets for four people SEA-YVR-YUL-YQB on AC, returning YUL-ORD-SEA on UA. Flights are in June. Presumably because of the complexity of the multi-city itinerary on more than one airline, the fare was $200 per person less on Orbitz than on the AC or UA websites, so (against my better judgment) I bought on Orbitz and saved $800 in total.

Because AC does not allow online seat reservations for tickets booked via a travel agent (or even on a partner airline's website), I had to call to reserve the four seats together.

After I reserved the seats, I received a confirmation email from AC with the last letter ("M") omitted from my first name. However, the original email from Orbitz showed the correct spelling of my name.

I called AC again, and I was told that their system thought that the "M" was a title ("Monsieur"). AC says that it is the fault of the Orbitz computer and that I have to call Orbitz within 72 hours of my flight to correct the error. Supposedly, AC can't make the correction greater than 72 hours before the flight.

Although I am *G, I have no status on AC, and it takes a long time to get through, so I didn't call them back to get another opinion. I called Orbitz to inquire, but I was on hold for more than 50 minutes, and I had to hang up.

Any advice? Has anyone here run into this problem before?

(I have learned my lesson and in the future will not book AC flights with Orbitz. Their customer service is not good, and their computer system doesn't seem to communicate appropriately with AC's.)
Old Apr 28, 13, 6:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by uwr View Post
I bought tickets for four people SEA-YVR-YUL-YQB on AC, returning YUL-ORD-SEA on UA. Flights are in June. Presumably because of the complexity of the multi-city itinerary on more than one airline, the fare was $200 per person less on Orbitz than on the AC or UA websites, so (against my better judgment) I bought on Orbitz and saved $800 in total.

Because AC does not allow online seat reservations for tickets booked via a travel agent (or even on a partner airline's website), I had to call to reserve the four seats together.

After I reserved the seats, I received a confirmation email from AC with the last letter ("M") omitted from my first name. However, the original email from Orbitz showed the correct spelling of my name.

I called AC again, and I was told that their system thought that the "M" was a title ("Monsieur"). AC says that it is the fault of the Orbitz computer and that I have to call Orbitz within 72 hours of my flight to correct the error. Supposedly, AC can't make the correction greater than 72 hours before the flight.

Although I am *G, I have no status on AC, and it takes a long time to get through, so I didn't call them back to get another opinion. I called Orbitz to inquire, but I was on hold for more than 50 minutes, and I had to hang up.

Any advice? Has anyone here run into this problem before?

(I have learned my lesson and in the future will not book AC flights with Orbitz. Their customer service is not good, and their computer system doesn't seem to communicate appropriately with AC's.)
Call AC Res, and even if there´s some glitch that phyisically cannot be changed because of the ORBITZ booking, they will make a notation on your file.
Old Apr 28, 13, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uwr View Post
Its been COMING SOON for a year now
Old Apr 28, 13, 9:32 am

Programs: AC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

When I book tickets through certain websites when my name is displayed, it drops a letter from my first name and combines it with a middle initial and makes that a title.. It's quite odd. But I always call AC and check and they tell me in the backend the name is correct.
Old Apr 28, 13, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K
My name is often displayed FirstnameMiddleInitial LastName with my middle initial being tacked onto my first name.

That has probably happened to me 20+ times. I used to call in to get it corrected until a few agents told me to ignore the problem, and I have never had an issue.
Old Apr 28, 13, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by YYCYYZ View Post
My name is often displayed FirstnameMiddleInitial LastName with my middle initial being tacked onto my first name.

That has probably happened to me 20+ times. I used to call in to get it corrected until a few agents told me to ignore the problem, and I have never had an issue.
It was for me.

First Name and Middle Name are extremely common French names. Middle initial displayed as 'M' and agent insisted that stands for 'Monsieur' and that she couldn't check me in as my gender was incorrect.

(This conversation took place with an Anglophone agent in Canada, not at CDG, where they don't bat an eye at my name as they hear/speak/type it I am sure dozens of times a day) I had to get a manager involved to prove that I am female and that 'M' doesn't mean 'Mister' in this case.
Old May 11, 13, 11:04 pm
uwr
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 1K
Thanks for the replies.

Search this Thread