Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: US to International Connection at YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: US to International Connection at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2013, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
US to International Connection at YYZ

I did a search, but could not find the answer.

I plan to fly Washngton DC to Paris on Air Canada with an hour connection in Toronto. Both legs are on Air Canada.

The connection time is one hour.

My question is whether I need to claim bags and clear both custom immigration in Toronto? One hour does not seem to be enough time. I hope it is as simple as check the bags all the though to Paris when I check in at DCA, and no immigration clearance.

I would appreciate an response to my question.

thank you!
Old Apr 28, 2013, 1:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I did a search, but could not find the answer.

I plan to fly Washngton DC to Paris on Air Canada with an hour connection in Toronto. Both legs are on Air Canada.

The connection time is one hour.

My question is whether I need to claim bags and clear both custom immigration in Toronto? One hour does not seem to be enough time. I hope it is as simple as check the bags all the though to Paris when I check in at DCA, and no immigration clearance.

I would appreciate an response to my question.

thank you!
This is a really straightforward and easy connection.
Assuming you are on one PNR, your bags should go straight through to CDG.
Make sure you fill out the immigration card - even though you are only in transit - before getting off the plane from DCA.
At YYZ, follow the signs for connections. It's a good 5-6 min walk from your gate. Then you make a sharp left at the International transit/connection desk - can't remember exactly what it's called - agent looks at your passport and you're on your way. Make a left again and walk down a really long moving walkway and you'll find yourself by the MLL and your departure gates.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...z_us_intl.html

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Apr 28, 2013 at 1:46 am Reason: added link
Old Apr 28, 2013, 1:47 am

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Video describing the process: (from 1:35 onwards may be of particular interest to you as it describe the process of arrival from USA and connecting onwards to an International flight)
http://youtu.be/SL0JiXRtRHg

http://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting_from_usa.aspx#
Connecting to Another International Destination – Within Terminal 1
If your baggage is tagged to your connecting flight follow the signs to your connecting gate. You will then be processed through Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) at their Satellite Primary Inspection Line, dedicated for connecting passengers.

If your baggage is not tagged through to your final destination, please follow the Baggage Claim signs to retrieve your baggage for CBSA processing. Then proceed to your departing airline’s counter for check in. Please note you will be required to undergo security screening prior to entering the departure gate area.

For further information please refer to one of the various Connections Centres and flight information screens throughout the terminal.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 3:48 am

Programs: AC:50K
I flew LAS-YYZ-LHR in December, and my gate-to-gate connection time -- from stepping off my incoming plane to sitting down in the departure lounge -- was 9 minutes. No need to collect bags, and at the miniature customs & immigration kiosk they don't ask many questions -- you're not really entering Canada, so what do they care anyway?

The only tricky part is that following the signs for connections, you come off a long moving walkway and the customs desk for international connections is a *sharp* left turn -- and most people are walking right past it because they're not making international connections. So just take your time -- you've got lots of it -- and keep an eye out for a customs & immigration kiosk to your left.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Like others have said - it should not take more than 10 minutes.

However the DCA-YYZ flights (if they are CRJs) - park in the 'barn' terminal of YYZ - the walk to the main terminal is like 8 minutes
Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Thanks so much for all the helpful and detailed responses. I really appreciate them.

I have booked the AC flight DCA-YYZ-CDG, and will experience the AC 773ER business cabin, which I have had great experience before. It will be a very nice change after flying UA exclusively overwater this year.
Old May 1, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Barring no delays inbound DCA-YYZ (glad US furlough is over!) you should be able to easily make the connection as other posters have pointed out. Are you in J going DCA-YYZ? I agree with other posters. If your aircraft is the small CRJ definitely switch to an earlier flight with larger aircraft to allow a longer connection. Well worth it and you get to relax at the int'l MLL.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
This is a really straightforward and easy connection.
Assuming you are on one PNR, your bags should go straight through to CDG.
Make sure you fill out the immigration card - even though you are only in transit - before getting off the plane from DCA.
At YYZ, follow the signs for connections. It's a good 5-6 min walk from your gate. Then you make a sharp left at the International transit/connection desk - can't remember exactly what it's called - agent looks at your passport and you're on your way. Make a left again and walk down a really long moving walkway and you'll find yourself by the MLL and your departure gates.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...z_us_intl.html
Is it the same process with Carry On? Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Aug 16, 2014, 3:16 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Is it the same process with Carry On? Thanks and Safe Travels
If you have a boarding pass for your connecting flight and connecting through Terminal 1 you should be able to use the International transit desk.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Reviving an old thread to ask if anything has changed. We're flying STL-YYZ-NRT in June with two young children and a one-hour connection. The prospect of a 10-minute transfer is appealing but since the STL-YYZ leg is on a CRJ, will we have to make our way to AC 5 from a remote location?

Thank you.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by hoyateach
Reviving an old thread to ask if anything has changed. We're flying STL-YYZ-NRT in June with two young children and a one-hour connection. The prospect of a 10-minute transfer is appealing but since the STL-YYZ leg is on a CRJ, will we have to make our way to AC 5 from a remote location?

Thank you.
You will be fine. Flights from STL use a regular jetbridge gate.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by D582
You will be fine. Flights from STL use a regular jetbridge gate.
My apologies for the delayed check-in and my thanks for your response.

I'm looking forward to the trip. I haven't transited YYZ since... 1988, I think... so I imagine a couple of things have changed since then. Lots of new construction, shinier buildings, and I'm sure the Leafs have won the Cup at least once in the last quarter-century, right?

...what's that? Oh. Sorry.

Well, then... um... thanks for the feedback!
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

Thank you.

Also, AC 5 flies to HND. AC 1 is the direct flight to NRT.

....so I imagine a couple of things have changed since then. Lots of new construction, shinier buildings, and I'm sure the Leafs have won the Cup at least once in the last quarter-century, right?

You haven't missed anything. The earth is still cooling up here in the Centre of the Universe.

(and for you locals, yes, I couldn't resist)
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
My apologies for the delayed check-in and my thanks for your response.

I'm looking forward to the trip. I haven't transited YYZ since... 1988, I think... so I imagine a couple of things have changed since then. Lots of new construction, shinier buildings, and I'm sure the Leafs have won the Cup at least once in the last quarter-century, right?

Excellent videos in the following AC link. Take a peek..

https://www.aircanada.com/en/news/130218.html
Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Also, AC 5 flies to HND. AC 1 is the direct flight to NRT.
Ah, yes, of course. I've flown into NRT so many times it's become reflex to think of it when I think of Tokyo. Good catch.

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Excellent videos in the following AC link. Take a peek..

https://www.aircanada.com/en/news/130218.html
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.