Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: US to International Connection at YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: US to International Connection at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:43 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I'm flying LGA-YYZ-HKG next week. I think I understand the process from the links and responses provided above but just one question out of curiosity: as far as I can tell, I will not need to reclear security at YYZ -- is that right?

I'm just curious, how does AC keep US arrivals separate from other international arrivals (which I assume *would* need to reclear security before boarding a connecting flight?)? Presumably if US arrivals and other international arrivals co-mingle in the same arrivals area then everyone would need to be re-screened, right?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by bgriff
I'm flying LGA-YYZ-HKG next week. I think I understand the process from the links and responses provided above but just one question out of curiosity: as far as I can tell, I will not need to reclear security at YYZ -- is that right?

I'm just curious, how does AC keep US arrivals separate from other international arrivals (which I assume *would* need to reclear security before boarding a connecting flight?)? Presumably if US arrivals and other international arrivals co-mingle in the same arrivals area then everyone would need to be re-screened, right?
International (including from the US) to International do not need to re-clear security at YYZ.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:13 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by D582
International (including from the US) to International do not need to re-clear security at YYZ.
Interesting, and surprising -- in most countries I'm aware of you do need to, for at least some countries one might arrive from.

While we're on the topic, do I get to use the high-speed moving walkway in the course of a US-to-international connection? I have long been curious about it.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
The high speed walkway depends on what gate you arrive at (if your gate is in the middle of the pier, you cannot enter that walkway, though there are other regular moving walkways in segments), and whether it is down for maintenance or overnight repairs.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
The Transfer Desk is actually Canadian Border Authority, and you present a landing card and passport. Its somewhat informal. Make a wrong turn and your in the normal arrivals and greater security. So be sure you know what your doing. Its not a simple gate to gate transfer in either case. Thus my postings of AC's videos upthread.. Remeber, in either case you are actuually dealing with Goverment Officials and not airport personel. Safe Travels..
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
I have SFO-YYZ / YYZ-EWR on separate tickets.
1) Will I need to clear immigration in YYZ?
2) Will I need to re-clear security in YYZ?
Thanks.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by dfreeman02
I have SFO-YYZ / YYZ-EWR on separate tickets.
1) Will I need to clear immigration in YYZ?
2) Will I need to re-clear security in YYZ?
Thanks.
1. Yes. If you have your YYZ-EWR boarding card, then you have two options. a) You can choose to go through Canadian immigration and customs, then head back to the US departures area and go through US CBP, or b) Follow the signs for US connections and go directly to US CBP. If you don't have your boarding card, then your only option is "a" with a stop at check-in.

2. Yes, regardless of choosing option a or b above.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
1. Yes. If you have your YYZ-EWR boarding card, then you have two options. a) You can choose to go through Canadian immigration and customs, then head back to the US departures area and go through US CBP, or b) Follow the signs for US connections and go directly to US CBP. If you don't have your boarding card, then your only option is "a" with a stop at check-in.
Are you sure? Doesn't AC have a transit desk there? I know there's something AC-related there, but I've never paid much attention.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Are you sure? Doesn't AC have a transit desk there? I know there's something AC-related there, but I've never paid much attention.
No, I guess not 100% sure as I haven't done that type of connection at YYZ in a long while. I would hope there would be something there.

However, at a transit desk you might then get asked 'where are you coming in from?' which could invite more questions as to why you are flying SFO-YYZ-EWR even though they are on separate tickets.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm flying IAD-YYZ (UA ERJ) and YYZ-LHR (LH codeshare operated by AC) on separate tickets. I don't think I'll be able to check in online because I can't pull up the reservation on AC's Web site with either the AC or LH PNRs no matter what I try.

Is there an AC transfer desk before Canadian border security? Otherwise do I have to enter Canada and go to the landside AC check-in desk?

I have 2:05 to make the connection. Is there much danger of me missing the 60 minute check-in cutoff if I have to go to the regular check-in counters?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doppy
I don't think I'll be able to check in online because I can't pull up the reservation on AC's Web site with either the AC or LH PNRs no matter what I try.
That does not sound good. Any other place where you can see your ticket, as actually have been issued? Might be time for a couple of phone calls? I would make clear this is under control and the ticket actually exists. Getting to YYZ until you can check is not by any means a good idea.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stranger
That does not sound good. Any other place where you can see your ticket, as actually have been issued? Might be time for a couple of phone calls? I would make clear this is under control and the ticket actually exists. Getting to YYZ until you can check is not by any means a good idea.
I called again to verify the AC PNR and apparently I can't read my handwriting and had written a G when it was supposed to be a 6.

Now I can see the reservation online!
Flying Machine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.