Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Can anyone explain this inability to eUp on H?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

I have a RTW ticket (fare class H) in/out of YVR coming up.

AC segments include AC63 (YVR-ICN) heading out, and AC33 (YYZ-YVR) heading home.

On AC site under "Manage My Bookings" fare class for both is listed as "Flex,H" (standard for RTW)

On the e-upgrade screen, the AC63 flight says "The purchased fare class for this flight does not allow for upgrades.", while the AC33 flight says "Upgrades can only be requested within 4 days of departure"

I'm confused and annoyed that the AC63 flight is not eligible for upgrade. It's the same fare class as the other flight which is?! Why might this be? Do I have any options available to me to get upgraded?

I'm Elite35K with plenty of eUpgrade points. UGH!
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC SE
As an E35, the only Flex fare you can upgrade on overseas flights is a U fare. H fare class is upgradeable for North America flights, but to upgrade an H fare overseas, you need to be E50 or higher. One of the new 'enhancements' for 2013.

https://www.aircanada.com/en/aeropla...des/howto.html
Old Apr 27, 2013, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gcashin
As an E35, the only Flex fare you can upgrade on overseas flights is a U fare. H fare class is upgradeable for North America flights, but to upgrade an H fare overseas, you need to be E50 or higher. One of the new 'enhancements' for 2013.

Thanks. I'm really hating this new tier structure.

Edit: one other question, is there any kind of "marketplace" for SuperElite to "gift" their benefit of nominating a friend for 50K Elite status?

Last edited by VirtualRain; Apr 27, 2013 at 1:19 pm
Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by gcashin

You posted the right link, but the wrong letter. You meant OP needs M class.

Only small consolation is # of eUps required would be lower in M...
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by YULcookiemonster
You posted the right link, but the wrong letter. You meant OP needs M class.

Only small consolation is # of eUps required would be lower in M...
Good catch - yes, I had meant M but typed U! Guess I was thinking back to the days of the paper upgrade certificates where the eligibility for M and U were the same.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
As others have mentioned you canīt upgrade bookings in H class on intīl routes as an E35. However, you could book a regular Y RTW with 29k miles allowance (instead of the special Y RTW fare with 26k miles allowances) which is booked into M instead of H and would allow you to upgrade the intīl segments.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
As others have mentioned you canīt upgrade bookings in H class on intīl routes as an E35. However, you could book a regular Y RTW with 29k miles allowance (instead of the special Y RTW fare with 26k miles allowances) which is booked into M instead of H and would allow you to upgrade the intīl segments.
Yeah, the M-class RTW fare is $1500 more and my company would not go for that.

What's the possibility of the gate agent offering me an upgrade even though I don't qualify under the new rules (assuming there are seats available)?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by VirtualRain

What's the possibility of the gate agent offering me an upgrade even though I don't qualify under the new rules (assuming there are seats available)?
0. "Welcome to the new enhanced 2013 Air Canada where our core focus is not frequent high paying customers, it's, well, we aren't sure, but, not you."
Old Apr 30, 2013, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by VirtualRain

Close to zero, Iīd think. The system wonīt allow the agent to process the upgrade if the booking class isnīt eligible, so youīd need an agent who overrides the system and basically gives you a free upgrade, something they canīt easily do without getting in trouble unless of course the flight is oversold.

Donīt what country youīre departing from or what routing youīve planned, but it may make sense to depart from a different country (if convenient) and/or purchase a Circle Pacifc Fare instead of a RTW fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.