Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

interesting comparison of upgrading...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

First time through the Delta upgrade process as a Gold Medallion. Point by point comparison:

1. Ticket cost: $300 with Delta, $1,300 with Air Canada.

2. Schedule: shorter flight with Delta.

3. Upgrade: Delta complimentary upgrade without point counting and assigning, vs. Air Canada's eUpgrades (use them now and cry later, or cry now and use them later, or maybe end the year with a full account that's wasted)

4. Applying for the upgrade: Delta, automatic 3 day window. AC have to load a slow and clumsy page on the website and apply for the upgrade.

5. Upgrade space: Delta, if the seat is free, you can possibly get it. Want better chances, take a less loaded flight. AC: R space games, flight by flight, day by day, destination by destination, case by case basis. Want better chances, you can take a less loaded flight but no guarantee because the calculations of the R games are arcane.

6. Waitlist: Delta missing the upgrade at the 3 day window, during checkin you're told how many people are on the waitlist already and how many seats are available. You can presumably then decide what your chances are looking like and skip early checkin and try for a paid upgrade on the day of boarding. With 3 seats free and 2 people on the waitlist, I chose to check in and take my chances. After checkin, the waitlist is displayed to me along with my priority (which became #1 on the list). The priorities are listed clearly on Delta's site which follow status primarily, then status sorted out by fares. So if someone bought a higher fare than me and are also gold, they will skip to the front of me (how terribly logical). AC: black magic. We know status applies but none of it is published (as far as I know) and you can't get the waitlist priority on the website for your flight (as far as I know).

7. PE: Delta lets me have a PE seat for no charge, and opened up 3 at checkin time, and I was able to move into one before I checked in. So my fallback case is not so bad. AC: I'd be paying for it.

So far on all 7 points Delta wins this. That means even dollar for dollar AC is not competitive at least for me on this flight.

And me, I'd never have known this if AC didn't gut the FF program and turn me into a price shopper. So, I was surprised to be paying 25% of the price and getting a better product.

Plus, I got comped to Gold by Amex. Didn't have to earn it the hard way.

The downside is that I'll have to do a border crossing to get to a US airport, but the $900 I saved on the ticket will easily pay for a sedan there and back, which will be more comfortable than the Dash-8.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Actually pretty impressed with Delta after an invol. reroute due to the Lufthansa strike. I think they'd be the most competitive with AC for next year's SkyTrax. Their staff are relatively surly though, AC is not quite as bad than my experience so far.

However having to ferry to a US airport kinda sucks. What route are you talking about?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Be careful. DL has restricted inventory classes for both free elite upgrades and upgrades using miles or SWUs (which require higher coach fare classes). However, unoccupied FC seats are assigned at the gate for upgrades, before being given to nonrevs or sold as cash upgrades.

What was the AmEx deal for comped GM?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by tyberius
The downside is that I'll have to do a border crossing to get to a US airport, but the $900 I saved on the ticket will easily pay for a sedan there and back, which will be more comfortable than the Dash-8.
Having to go thru the US is my no. 1 pet peeve with all these US airlines which are, in some ways, better than AC. I can't stand not being able to lock the baggage if I go through the US.

But if I am going to the US specifically, I might give DL a try.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Amex Centurion in Canada comps DL GM.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by jarusoba
Having to go thru the US is my no. 1 pet peeve with all these US airlines which are, in some ways, better than AC. I can't stand not being able to lock the baggage if I go through the US.

you can lock your luggage in the usa if you have TSA locks on them. and unannounced in canada if you lock your luggage they have the right to break the lock to look inside. Also according to my local airport they don't have TSA keys in Canada so even if you have TSA locks they will break them to look inside...

just a heads up
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Be careful. DL has restricted inventory classes for both free elite upgrades and upgrades using miles or SWUs (which require higher coach fare classes). However, unoccupied FC seats are assigned at the gate for upgrades, before being given to nonrevs or sold as cash upgrades.

My upgrade cleared somewhere between 14 and 8 hours in advance of the flight. Huzzah.

Was able to change my seat after checking in too, before the upgrade cleared. Got my pick of the seats after upgrade.

So far, all is good.

Looking forward to having internet on my flight.

MLL is a half grade better than the Delta lounge though.

One bad thing was the curbside checkin. "I'm your valet, I'll be taking care of your luggage".

Me: blank look. Ok, thanks. Go to walk away.

Her: SIR I AM YOUR VALET AND WILL BE TAKING CARE OF YOUR LUGGAGE.

Me: ohhh. Is Canadian $5 ok?

Her: I've got change if you need it for US.

At least it was fast.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:33 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
I don;t think locks need to be broken. Simply jam a pen between the zipper teeth,and voila !
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by jarusoba

I tried DL last week from YVR - MSP. Paid an extra $29 ew for PE. It was actually quite good (for $29) - I was satisfied.

Last Nov I went YVR - ORD on UA in J for $560 ew. Also quite satisfied. Try doing that on AC.

I use zip ties on my bags. At least then I know whether they've rifled them.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyyz
Actually pretty impressed with Delta..
I have to agree. One of my best meals was DL, LHR-JFK in January. Maybe it's because my expectations were so low.
The day before I flew NZ. Very underwhelming. Maybe my expectations were to high.

Were DL could improve is the snack basket under 1500 miles in F.
To add, DL is very generous with rerouting when a schedule change is involved.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
It may sound harsh but AC needs to go through another bankruptcy to clean up their act.

They have mostly image problem in front of the travelling public and all the other issues discussed here on FT.

I used to be a supporter of AC but no more.

Once again: Never love the thing that cannot love you back.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 7:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

And to bookend my upgrade experience:

1. Aircraft was indeed kind of aged. Seat was comfy though.

2. Gotta pay for movies even in "first class", that kind of blew, but still looking to the price of my ticket vs. AC, I don't mind.

3. Service was very good. Food was good too.

4. Woman beside me was in first/business for the first time in her life. She kept asking me if we had to pay for booze. She was very incredulous that something might be included. Her wide eyed enjoyment of it made me enjoy it even more.

5. Flight was on time, smooth landing, no problems.

6. Waited 5 mins for baggage to come out, but it was a long walk to the carousel.

7. Return flight upgraded 5 minutes into the 4 day window, without me requesting anything. Which is curious because it's supposed to be a 3 day window for Gold. So bonus points to Delta.

Overall: recommend, will fly again, much better experience than e-pointing it, but I think for intercontinental on the lay flat bed I'd prefer not to play this form of lotto, but keep an option to buy something like Latitude and manually upgrade at the time of booking. Except Latitude seems to come in higher than Z as of late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.