Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada warns of quarterly loss in preliminary results

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada warns of quarterly loss in preliminary results

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2013, 7:56 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
The highly cited delays/stress due to funding cuts in USA will, no doubt, help AC's 2nd quarter.

Will be sure to re-visit this thread in 3 months time ......
Oops!

So much for that strategy...
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:53 am

goodbye AC

I am now flying BUF YHZ for less money and greater comfort than I would on AC. As a former SE I have seen all FF appreciation from AC stop so I left.
I fly AC only to burn off my remaining AE points and then no more.
I am 1K with UA and although they are not perfect they do a great deal for me when flights change or weather causes delays. This is something completely foreign to AC, helping pax get around flight troubles.
There is no justification for the tango flex fare gap other than Execs don't care about pax loyalty and they want to gut the FF program completely by making benefits horribly expensive.
Old May 3, 2013, 6:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle11695514/

Air Canada confirmed its earlier report of a tough first quarter, as demand for higher fare seats waned.

The results were better than last year year, however. Air Canada lost $260-million in the quarter, or 95 cent a share, compared with a loss of $274-million, 99 cents a share in the same period a year ago.

The winter months can typically be tough, with higher costs associated with delays and deicing due to the weather. Yet signs of revenue pressures is a concern, say analysts.
Old May 3, 2013, 8:08 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Really, even with all the scamcharges (most) of the general public is coughing up without a second thought?

I'll echo what everyone else here has said -- the migration of business fliers away from AC appear to be materializing.
Old May 3, 2013, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattking2000

I'll echo what everyone else here has said -- the migration of business fliers away from AC appear to be materializing.
Only anecdotal so far.

Plus, mostly "bottom feeders" like most of us.

Whom they don't care for in the first place.
Old May 5, 2013, 2:52 pm

around $500 cheaper

Originally Posted by Clipper801
I just booked a leisure TATL trip in business class this summer with another airline and the fare was $700/person cheaper than AC.

A month ago, I flew TPAC on CX Premium Economy for $200 cheaper than AC Flex.
Checked a few dates in July; YYZ-HKG-YYZ:

lowest flex fare around $3,200/$3,300

lowest CX PE around $2,700
Old May 5, 2013, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewE

Upgrade from CX PE to J is 27,500 Asia Miles each way.

CX also has 10 flights weekly.
Old May 5, 2013, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by AndrewE

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Upgrade from CX PE to J is 27,500 Asia Miles each way.
Meanwhile at AC, "demand for higher fare seats waned".
Old May 5, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by mattking2000
n of business fliers away from AC appear to be materializing.
I don't believe this is what is happening. I really think it is the much larger gap from Tango to anything higher along the Altitude tier changes. The gap up to a higher fare as been astronomical at times lately.
Old May 6, 2013, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Dorian
I really think it is the much larger gap from Tango to anything higher along the Altitude tier changes. The gap up to a higher fare as been astronomical at times lately.
I agree with your view of the situation.

When AC increased the price of the aerolotto ticket and took away the ability to attain any meaningful Attitude status, it changed the buying behaviour.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by YEG Guy
The crowd here is quite ready to jump on AC for mopre leisure vs business flyers. It would have helped to fully quote the AC PR, the explanation of higher proportion of leisure passengers is due to the timing of Easter. 2012 Easter was in Q2 while 2013 Easter is Q1. Once 1/2 year results come out, things will be back to normal.

FYI, WS has the reported the same issue (negative effects on quarter due to position of Easter) for about the past 10 years.
Appears WS had the same easter effect as AC. From their Q1-2013 conference call and earnings release, as told by the Financial Post:

“We are pleased with the continued year-over-year growth in traffic, and have experienced the same soft patch reported by other North American carriers in April,” Mr. Saretsky said.

He attributed the decline in April to the timing of Easter and Passover this year, the cancellation of the Thomas Cook capacity purchase commitments it was unable to resell so late in the season, and the loss of one-time benefit from Air Canada’s labour uncertainty during the month a year ago.

“We are however seeing stronger bookings in May and June,” Mr. Saretesky said
http://business.financialpost.com/20...-factor-slips/

Bolded parts are mine. Almost the same thing was said by Calin R during the AC Q1 news release.

Last edited by WR Cage; May 7, 2013 at 9:41 am Reason: quote attribution
Old May 7, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by YEG Guy
Appears WS had the same easter effect as AC. From their Q1-2013 conference call and earnings release, as told by the Financial Post:
You seem to have conveniently missed the fact that unlike AC, WS had a "record first-quarter result" part.

Bolding mine
Old May 7, 2013, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by yeg2where
You seem to have conveniently missed the fact that unlike AC, WS had a "record first-quarter result" part.

Bolding mine
You seem to have missed the part where both airlines were talking about the reduced average ticket price.
Old May 7, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: AC SE
In the article linked to by YEG guy, WS report an increase in yield Q1.
Old May 7, 2013, 6:44 pm

Pacific yields up...

Some of the comments here suggest that some think the reduction in premium revenue was on the Pacific. I don't understand why anyone would think that since AC's Transpacific yields and LFs were up in Q1. It was by far the best revenue performer for AC.

The yield reduction was the result of pricing pressure on Transborder and South America. The US airlines added significant capacity (close to 10 %) yoy in Q3/Q4 last year which is when and why the South American yields were down around 5% yoy. Delta's CEO stated in their Q1 conference call that he expects those yields to improve by the 2nd half of the year and the US carriers are projecting minimal increases in capacity on all their international routes so that problem for AC will probably be solved with time.

The transborder market is the result of Porter and WJ increasing capacity to the US NE. This will probably weigh on yields until 2014 (less growth forecasted yoy) so for now I guess we can enjoy slightly better pricing/choice on those routes.

Your comparison of AC vs. Cathay pricing probably just means AC is already close to fully booked on those flights. While Cathay may not be. I purchased a ticket in March on Cathay (SGN-HKG-YYZ) due to it being cheaper. AC was 5000, Cathay was 1800. Of course AC was fully booked in the back one way making them much more expensive because I would have been forced to buy exec of one of the legs. Unfortunately I'm an ECON traveller haha.

And surprisingly I preferred the AC Econ service over Cathay. Very minimal water service in the back which to me is a must on a 15 hr flight. I don't like being forced to call on FA to get a glass of water. On AC, they perform water services much more often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.