Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada warns of quarterly loss in preliminary results

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada warns of quarterly loss in preliminary results

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2013, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by arf04
What a load of nonsense. Illogical too. Do you actually mean "Many passengers actually only travel to destinations served by their airline"? None of the several different ways this can be taken makes a load of sense.

Silly.
I was being sarcastic - did you read the comment I quoted?

Try reading the posts in context FFS
Old Apr 22, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC E75K / Marriott Silver Elite / SPG
Originally Posted by tcook052
http://ca.reuters.com/article/busine...93L0DA20130422

Air Canada's Class B shares were down 13.3 percent at C$2.60 at midmorning on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
Well don't we want to buy when the stocks are trading at a low price?
I am sure it can rebound in the near future with the new 777 and Rouge airline.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Flyer4Ever
Well don't we want to buy when the stocks are trading at a low price?
Of course but now isn't the low it's the high:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...-earnings.html

The stock had been on a tear, rising from a low of 82 cents last year to a peak of $3.40 earlier this month.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I guess all the recent announcements of record load factors did not help the bottom line.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 5:59 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

My thoughts exactly. In fact it appears to have hurt them, especially given their excuse that they had too many leisure travellers - the very type of traveller they are now trying to attract with rogue.

"We lose money on every passenger, but we make up for it in volume."
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:01 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Doubly odd when you consider recent comments on another thread about how AC's announcements of record loads were supposed evidence of the the airline doing much better now under the new management.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by KenHamer

Doubly odd when you consider recent comments on another thread about how AC's announcements of record loads were supposed evidence of the the airline doing much better now under the new management.
When AC posts improved results, you're the first to chime in that every airline is reporting improved results.

When AC warns of a miss, Why don't you take the time to compare to other airline's results?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:55 pm
Original Member

Mostly 'cause most other airlines have not yet released their numbers.

But my main complaint is that airlines release essentially meaningless "load factors" as evidence that everything is rosy when in fact loads are used as a red herring to hide the real (and usually not so good) situation.

But I don't think I've ever heard an airline blame an operating loss on an overly high load factor before now.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:58 pm
Original Member

Which to say I don't consider increasing load factors as evidence of improved performance.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by KenHamer
But I don't think I've ever heard an airline blame an operating loss on an overly high load factor before now.
Where did they say that?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:23 pm

Programs: AC2MM SE Fairmont Presidents club
AC needs to take Customer Service for Dummies! That might help stem the tide of frequent flyers flying off with other carriers!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:34 pm

Programs: AC Elite
Regarding the A340-300, C-FYLD was delivered to AC on 29-04-1997 then it was leased to Iberia on 05-06-2008. It has been withdrawn from service and in storage since 27-02-2013. I think AC can't lease it and they are losing money.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fin 645
Also cited among many reasons (excuses?) for the loss was "a higher proportion of leisure passengers versus business passengers". Maybe the move to other carriers is real.
Heh, they had to poke us in the eye and dare us.

Good job AC marketing. Good job.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Vagus
Regarding the A340-300, C-FYLD was delivered to AC on 29-04-1997 then it was leased to Iberia on 05-06-2008. It has been withdrawn from service and in storage since 27-02-2013. I think AC can't lease it and they are losing money.
After AC stopped flying C-FYLD it flew cargo for Gestair then was picked up by IB 01Jul09 before being parked in Feb. this year but would agree the $24M is likely outstanding lease obligation AC is writing off on this aircraft.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Clipper801
The many changes last year, e.g., introduction of the Tango fare on many international routes, higher tier thresholds, etc., AC has successfully pruned many Elites for 2013.

Will this group continue to fly AC or will they be actively seeking alternatives when they fly since they now have no or just meaningless status, e.g., the A25K?

Also, the introduction of Premium Economy by some airlines also "changes the game".
Last year at this time I would be booking an upgradeable fare on Air Canada to Las Vegas and using eUpgrades to do it.

This year I am buying a Delta ticket.

They were really successful in getting rid of a lot of business. They very clearly isolated their "bottom feeders" and chased them away. Some got sucked into programs like the 25k level which doesn't really do anything at all. I mean say you were a 25k level and consistently attempted to use your puny number of upgrades, you'd be paying a premium all year long on tickets then getting boned on R space and the crumbs left over by the 37 tiers above you.

So at the end of the year, in order to get your one or two "free upgrades" you'd have shoveled over a huge accumulated chunk of change. Probably more than it would have cost you to just LMU the "free upgrades" you were given. And then leapfrog over guys waiting in the upgrade queue anyway.

It's a negative tier with negative benefits.

Screw that. Amex gave me Gold on Delta baby. Fire and forget business class seat here I come. If it's there it's mine, if not oh well.

The best part of it is that I paid $300 for the ticket vs. the $1300 AC wanted to charge me.

I'd never even have considered it before but it's so in my interest to do so because that benefit plan is not so useful to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.