Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

IFE not working, like to change offered comp

Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Silver, Enterprise+

The IFE system was completely kaput for the entire flight for all passengers on flight 1072 from DEN to YUL. SD did inform the passengers of this as it was decided not get the IFE fixed in Denver as it would take at least 30 minutes if not more and the crew thought it was better to respect schedule than take a chance to get it fixed and delay the flight. The SD told us that we would get a claim form that would give us a choice of compensation when reporting it online. They passed out blue claim cards to all passengers including J (I was sitting in 3F). If filled out the claim request online and was never offered any option of compensation. I was given a claim number and immediately received an email offering 5% on next flight.

Can I request a different compensation? Since my boss pays for my flights, I'd rather get a more personal compensation such as miles or $. How do I go about doing this? What is the delay and the chance of succeeding?

Thanx.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:03 am

Programs: AC*SE
You never take a personal flight?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:08 am

Also be aware that the 5% discount only applies to the base fare (before YQ) so it isnt actually even a true 5% discount. On international flights where the YQ is sometimes greater than the base fare these discounts are pathetic. AC as a result loves them...
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
You never go on vacation???

5% seems low, usually its 15% isnt it?

And as mentioned, 5% is only off base fare. So for a $1000 ticket to Europe, you'd expect to get $50 off - but you ll only get 5% of the base fare (maybe around $300) - so $15 off.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
I haven't turned on my IFE in over a year. I just watch on iPad everytime.

As for OP.You must be kidding ?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Nope, I do not fly for personal, only for business. For vacation, I do road trips with the family. Although with my points I would like to take them to Europe if I can keep the scamcharges to a minimum...

And as mentioned, with 5% off base fare, it is almost ridiculous. I have read in another thread that some were able to get 7500 miles as comp. At least that is 50% off economy base fare for short haul, if you want to compare.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
IFE never "works" for me because there are no captions (other than a limited number of Francophone movies some of which are, like, 8 minutes). So 4% of the population NEVER has access to IFE. As useless as it is, as virtually all of my flights are work, a 5% would at least be a symbolic apology. (As a practical remedy, iPad is no solution either - can't get captions on iTunes last I checked.)
Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: AC*E
On my recent flight from MCO-YYZ, my son's IFE was broken. Sadly, I had been counting on it to entertain him for the 2.5-hr flight. I was going to ask for the claim form/coupon code, but the FA offered him a BOB meal instead, so we got a pizza for the inconvenience.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
The blue compensation forms for 5% off base fare of future travel on AC are standard for domestic travel. If you were in a pod in J for domestic travel the compensation is more but otherwise the 5% discount code will be the most you can get in your situation.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyquiet
(As a practical remedy, iPad is no solution either - can't get captions on iTunes last I checked.)
Google Play Movies supports captions, and the Nexus 7 and 10 are really awesome tablets, so that's an option for you.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mountaingrl
The blue compensation forms for 5% off base fare of future travel on AC are standard for domestic travel. If you were in a pod in J for domestic travel the compensation is more but otherwise the 5% discount code will be the most you can get in your situation.
As mentioned in the original post, I was in J on a flight from Denver. I sent an email to Customer Relations and will see what comes out of it.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: status-free
Another option when you don't actually use the IFE is to let the FA know that you can switch seats if somebody else (e.g., with a child) really really wants it and theirs isn't working. Whenever I've done this, I've been informally rewarded by the FA (although that's not why I do it).

<Edit: no, not what you're thinking. Really, people.>
Old Apr 19, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by mugsy1
Nope, I do not fly for personal, only for business. For vacation, I do road trips with the family. Although with my points I would like to take them to Europe if I can keep the scamcharges to a minimum...

And as mentioned, with 5% off base fare, it is almost ridiculous. I have read in another thread that some were able to get 7500 miles as comp. At least that is 50% off economy base fare for short haul, if you want to compare.
You might have read that on a long haul overseas flight in J class like YYZ-HKG. Even then good luck.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 5:15 pm

Dude.

Buy an iPad.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Originally Posted by mugsy1
As mentioned in the original post, I was in J on a flight from Denver. I sent an email to Customer Relations and will see what comes out of it.
You said you were in J DEN-YUL - that is a E90 so it is domestic J. In domestic J you will get a 5% off compensation form for a IFE failure etc.- we have gotten quite a few of those discount codes.

If you were flying in J on a 763 domestically (ie.in a pod) you would have gotten a different compensation form (with choice for money off a future flight or Aeroplan miles). In that case you would receive a $75 MCO for use on a future flight and if it was on an international flight the MCO would be for $100 (or choice of Aeroplan miles but who would choose them as they are not status miles).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.