Baggage Procedures in YYZ

Old Apr 18, 13, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Baggage Procedures in YYZ

I've heard and read about some new changes regarding baggage while connecting in YYZ, however I'm still not sure of the following. I will be flying RDU-YYZ-YOW-(short meeting)-YYZ in one day. I have someone willing to meet me in YYZ to pick up my bag until I return later that day, so I don't have to deal with collecting and re-checking my bag in YYZ and YOW.

The way I remember connecting from US to domestic flights (recently), is retrieving my luggage on the carousel after Customs/Nexus, then proceeding out the door and on to the bag drop for the domestic connection. Is this still what happens when flying US-YYZ-within Canada, or are all bags now checked through to the final destination?
Old Apr 18, 13, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC Super Elite, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ACA321 View Post
The way I remember connecting from US to domestic flights (recently), is retrieving my luggage on the carousel after Customs/Nexus, then proceeding out the door and on to the bag drop for the domestic connection. Is this still what happens when flying US-YYZ-within Canada, or are all bags now checked through to the final destination?
The transborder bag changes are only for outbound (i.e. YYZ onwards to a U.S. destination). If you're arriving domestically, you still have to clear immigration and customs (with your bag) and will be able to do what you want.

Although keep in mind your bag is actually tagged to your final destination. You're supposed to clear customs with it and drop it off on the connections carousel. If this is all on one PNR, not sure what happens if your bag is tagged all the way through and you get on a plane (YYZ YOW) without your bag.
Old Apr 18, 13, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
When you check in, just check the bag until YYZ. Simple.
Old Apr 18, 13, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
When you check in, just check the bag until YYZ. Simple.
Not necessarily. Agent may consider OP doing a Hidden City ticket and not permit short checking. They're getting wise to this because transborder fares between US cities and YYZ can be double the fare to a Canadian city beyond YYZ. However, since OP can show a return ticket to YYZ that same day, may not be a problem.
Old Apr 19, 13, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if asking to have the bag tagged only to YYZ would appear as trying to get around hidden city ticketing to the agent (UA is handling check in at RDU), although I fully intend to take the YYZ-YOW-YYZ flights. I have a brief but important meeting in YOW and don't need my checked bag- would love to use only carry-on but have other engagements and an overseas trip after getting back to YYZ. Hopefully the agent will play nice if I show a return boarding pass (will do OLCI for YYZ-YOW-YYZ).

I'm not sure I want to see what happens if I fail to reload the bags should they be checked through to YOW. Can't afford being loaded off that part of the itinerary and denied boarding!
Old Apr 19, 13, 9:54 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by yvr76 View Post
Although keep in mind your bag is actually tagged to your final destination. You're supposed to clear customs with it and drop it off on the connections carousel. If this is all on one PNR, not sure what happens if your bag is tagged all the way through and you get on a plane (YYZ YOW) without your bag.
This happened on my friend's flight this week. (about 5-7 pax left their checked bags at YYZ carousel and boarded connection to YOW).

CBSA met the aircraft in YOW, held everyone up for about 20 minutes, announced the offending pax names and seat numbers on the PA and took them away. Not sure what happened to them.
Old Apr 19, 13, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by D582 View Post
This happened on my friend's flight this week. (about 5-7 pax left their checked bags at YYZ carousel and boarded connection to YOW).

CBSA met the aircraft in YOW, held everyone up for about 20 minutes, announced the offending pax names and seat numbers on the PA and took them away. Not sure what happened to them.
Wow, seems quite extreme. I wonder how much of that had to do with them having left them on the carousel vs. having actually claimed the bags so they weren't left lying around the airport. I also wonder if a flag would be raised if the UA agent in RDU only tags the bag to YYZ...maybe it's best just to deal with the checked bag all the way through as ticketed.
Old Apr 19, 13, 10:34 am

Programs: AC Super Elite, Bonvoy Titanium
Can OP just have his bag originally checked through, and then just go to the connections counter in YYZ and have an agent remove the bag (but not the pax) from the ongoing flight?
Old Apr 19, 13, 10:58 am

I had a similar situation last week.
I checked the bag toYYZ only, and that solved the problem.

In any case, even if they tag the bag to final destination, since you have to pick up the bag anyways in YYZ, you can remove the tag and exit, then check in later when you are ready.
Old Apr 20, 13, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Update- here's how the situation played out: UA agent in RDU could only check the bag through to YOW (or so she said), however the agent at the connecting bag drop on YYZ removed the tags, and more importantly from the reservation as well. There were no issues when I explained the situation, but I was advised that the most important thing when doing this is having the note that you're traveling with bags removed from the reservation, or you'll have trouble as another poster described above.

As a pleasant aside, OLCI is now available from RDU.
Old Feb 5, 14, 10:01 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite
I usually carry on but am flying through YYZ and onwards to the US soon, likely with checked luggage this time.

I'm superficially familiar with the new connecting luggage process with US customs but have one question:

What happens when your luggage doesn't arrive in the connections area promptly, and you've got to get to a soon-departing YYZ-US flight? Are you required to miss the connection while waiting for bags? Or can you abandon your luggage, rush to the connection, and have the bag follow you later?

Thanks
Old Feb 6, 14, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by sweden05 View Post
I usually carry on but am flying through YYZ and onwards to the US soon, likely with checked luggage this time.

I'm superficially familiar with the new connecting luggage process with US customs but have one question:

What happens when your luggage doesn't arrive in the connections area promptly, and you've got to get to a soon-departing YYZ-US flight? Are you required to miss the connection while waiting for bags? Or can you abandon your luggage, rush to the connection, and have the bag follow you later?

Thanks
The SOP is to have you wait for your bags. Check with the Agent at the desk in the hold area (before they let you through to US customs area) for any options.
Old May 24, 15, 10:33 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by ACA321 View Post
Wow, seems quite extreme.
Not really. Canada is VERY sensitive to this issue since the Air India tragedy of the 1980s.

Search this Thread