Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Fixed it for you:
I hear ya. Fortunately, though, the information in this thread comes straight from the team who is doing the installs.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:59 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I hear ya. Fortunately, though, the information in this thread comes straight from the team who is doing the installs.
Apparently my attempt at some generic FT humour on a Friday was a fail. At least for the folks in YEG.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Apparently my attempt at some generic FT humour on a Friday was a fail. At least for the folks in YEG.
I laughed. And, I'm not in YEG.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:00 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I laughed. And, I'm not in YEG.
Good point. In fact, you're often not there. Shouldn't you perhaps be Not_in_YEG_SE4Life?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Good point. In fact, you're often not there. Shouldn't you perhaps be Not_in_YEG_SE4Life?
Well, my vehicle spends a lot of time at YEG.
ffsim likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Well, my vehicle spends a lot of time at YEG.
Do you have lifetime status with the YEG parking folks too?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
So you were able to redeem Gogo passes on an international flight? That’s very interesting. I got some free ones with my Infinite Privileged Visa card and thought they were only valid on NA flights. Was $21 the cost for the messaging or streaming pass?
yes, and the $21 price was for the entire flight. It was not the messaging bundle since it only listed a few compatible apps.
wysiwyg likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by expert7700
yes, and the $21 price was for the entire flight. It was not the messaging bundle since it only listed a few compatible apps.
thanks for sharing. I’ll try this Wednesday on AC1 and report back inflight, if successful!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
Posting this from AC1. If you have GOGO passes, you can use them as long as they are meant for international flights. North American passes won’t appear.
Prices on my flight:
stream: 1 hr: $11.00 or $32.00 for the flight
browse: 1 hr $14.00 or $26.00 for the flight

This is not a typo, the stream is cheaper than browse for the 1 hr.

I got a complimentary pass and I think I have stream. Speed test returned ~20mbps down and 2 up. Very high ping, as expected for satellite.

Was streaming from the Bell Fibe TV app and quality was good with the occasional freeze or reduced quality, but otherwise good.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
Posting this from AC1. If you have GOGO passes, you can use them as long as they are meant for international flights. North American passes won’t appear.
Prices on my flight:
stream: 1 hr: $11.00 or $32.00 for the flight
browse: 1 hr $14.00 or $26.00 for the flight

This is not a typo, the stream is cheaper than browse for the 1 hr.

I got a complimentary pass and I think I have stream. Speed test returned ~20mbps down and 2 up. Very high ping, as expected for satellite.

Was streaming from the Bell Fibe TV app and quality was good with the occasional freeze or reduced quality, but otherwise good.
Is that a price increase for 2019?

I'm pretty sure the cost was $21 for browsing / $26 for streaming on all my int'l flights last year.

Also, a signficant price hike for the hourly rates, making it a rather unattractive value proposition.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I posted a number of times upthread - some including screen shots with pricing since at least October. These were YYZ-HKG

Simple Browsing $5 for 1 hour, $26 for entire flight
Streaming $11 for 1 hour, $32 for entire flight

plus taxes

And I also commented that I tested the browsing and the streaming and the results for me were the same in terms of email and web and iMessage

Just found the screen shots I had saved from the flight in November

Last edited by 24left; Jan 9, 2019 at 3:23 pm
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:10 pm

So, I've never gotten an e-mail receipt from AC/Thales for the WiFi on my 7M8 flight the other day. Anyone else had issues? I've never had this problem with Gogo-equipped aircraft.
I eventually wrote AC, using the customer service form for receipts. This was technically a transaction with Thales rather than AC, but I found no website for Thales for this, so didn't know where else to go.

AC had the flight number, PNR, etc, and I think I referred to Thales in the note I sent, yet I got this idiotic reply from AC (after a number of days):

Originally Posted by Ticket copy and usage [email protected]
​​​​​The best way to obtain Gogo purchase receipts is to sign in to the appropriate Gogo account:

* Go to gogoair.com and click Sign In
* You will see your initial Gogo charge in the Purchase History section
* Click on the Details (+) link next to the charge to open your Gogo charges
* Click the printer symbol to print your own copy of the receipt

If you have any further questions, we can be reached at 877-350-0038, 24/7. You can also contact us via Live Chat by clicking https://custhelp.gogoinflight.com while you're in the air or on the ground.

Thank you,
Your Friend at Gogo Customer Service
Note that even though this looks like it came from Gogo, it came directly from AC.

I wrote them back straight away to point out their error, and have not heard back after >3 days. I'm very close to trying to do a chargeback with Amex rather than deal with this nonsense anymore.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
77W Fin 747 AC30 Pek-yvr

Stream pass: $11-1hr $32-full flight
Browse pass: $14-1hr $26-full flight

Yes, the 1hr option was cheaper at the faster streaming speed

Once again my full flight stream pass cut off about 2hours before landing, asking me to "choose a plan and pay" a second time. This time I didn't want to waste a second pass or pay and fight the charge, so I just pretended I was on a Dreaminer and went without internet the last 2 hours. Actually browsing Aircanada.com for free still worked (but not the mobile app, because that'd be way too high tech to white-list and make that work for free).
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I eventually wrote AC, using the customer service form for receipts. This was technically a transaction with Thales rather than AC, but I found no website for Thales for this, so didn't know where else to go.

AC had the flight number, PNR, etc, and I think I referred to Thales in the note I sent, yet I got this idiotic reply from AC (after a number of days):

Note that even though this looks like it came from Gogo, it came directly from AC.

I wrote them back straight away to point out their error, and have not heard back after >3 days. I'm very close to trying to do a chargeback with Amex rather than deal with this nonsense anymore.
Making it so that buying AC wifi is playing the lotto with having a receipt for my expense report is an excellent way to drive away business travel customers from using the product. I can and often do expense in flight wifi, but if I'm not sure I'll get a receipt it's not worth the hassle.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Hello,

Can someone add 7M8 Fin 505 to the list. AC753 YYZ/SFO on Jan 15 (sent from the flight)

Apparently just installed. Note that it works well connectivity but the Thales system doesn't allow you to sign in to redeem passes (not clear you could use those passes on Thales). It gives an error when you try to "Sign In" but
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.