Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
So you were able to redeem Gogo passes on an international flight? That’s very interesting. I got some free ones with my Infinite Privileged Visa card and thought they were only valid on NA flights. Was $21 the cost for the messaging or streaming pass?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SilverChris
AC64 ICN-YVR on Jan 6 seems to be getting FIN 831 according to the app but the website's wifi tracker says "no wifi". Which one should I believe?
I wouldn't completely trust the FIN yet. Lots can change in 3 days.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I wouldn't completely trust the FIN yet. Lots can change in 3 days.
Seems to have changed to FIN 840 which also has WiFi ^
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:12 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
So, I've never gotten an e-mail receipt from AC/Thales for the WiFi on my 7M8 flight the other day. Anyone else had issues? I've never had this problem with Gogo-equipped aircraft.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
So, I've never gotten an e-mail receipt from AC/Thales for the WiFi on my 7M8 flight the other day. Anyone else had issues? I've never had this problem with Gogo-equipped aircraft.
Did you check to see if you were charged?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Did you check to see if you were charged?
Oh yes, I was charged instantly.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Seems to have changed to FIN 840 which also has WiFi ^
Yesterday, my flight for tomorrow showed DIN 631. Now it shows 693. It could change by tomorrow morning. Who knows? That is just how it goes.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond
Yesterday, my flight for tomorrow showed DIN 631. Now it shows 693. It could change by tomorrow morning. Who knows? That is just how it goes.
I like that your flight has a Drug Identification Number (DIN). Any particular side effects?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by monsieurcumulus
I like that your flight has a Drug Identification Number (DIN). Any particular side effects?
Cramping, fatigue, back pain, irritability, etc...
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Actually, AC uses 3 different systems.
1) GTA - This system is mostly on the regional jets, and it starts to get spotty as you get north of the US border.
2) GTA4 - This is found on most of the other narrow bodies. It works better in the Northern parts of Canada
3) Satellite - This system is in the wide bodies. I am not sure which system will be in the 7M8s.
FA just told me that they are testing wifi (sounds like Satellite) on three 737's. She mentioned the fin's, which I believe are 501, 508, and 512 or 513. She said testing was just for employees at this point, and the wifi screen comes up as Telus, not gogo or ACwifi.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
FA just told me that they are testing wifi (sounds like Satellite) on three 737's. She mentioned the fin's, which I believe are 501, 508, and 512 or 513. She said testing was just for employees at this point, and the wifi screen comes up as Telus, not gogo or ACwifi.
She is out of date. Just read the wiki and the report from Adam.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
She is out of date. Just read the wiki and the report from Adam.
Well, it was her first day back after a 2 week break. I thoight she said Telus, but obviously she meant Thales. Sorry, I did not read far enough upthread before posting....
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:11 pm

Thales is a French company, so the proper pronunciation does actually sound somewhat like Telus with the hard T rather than usual English th sound.

The login screen does say Thales, but it also has AC branding on it, kind of like how Gogo is a Gogo page but has AC branding. As for it being limited to employees, that's definitely wrong, since I was able to purchase it (and not get a receipt).
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Well, it was her first day back after a 2 week break. I thoight she said Telus, but obviously she meant Thales. Sorry, I did not read far enough upthread before posting....
Perhaps it should be mandatory for FAs to read FT post-vacation, for the most current information.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:16 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Fixed it for you:

Perhaps it should be mandatory for FAs to read FT post-vacation, for the most current information speculation.
Yhztraveller likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.