Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Are there plans to install WiFi on any Rouge aircraft?
It's already on their 319 and 321. It's not yet on the 763 but is scheduled to be installed.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by rehoult
It's already on their 319 and 321. It's not yet on the 763 but is scheduled to be installed.
Thank you. Can someone please edit the wiki to reflect the Rouge 321 misinformation as it contains incorrect info.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Thank you. Can someone please edit the wiki to reflect the Rouge 321 misinformation as it contains incorrect info.
Done.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
Are the prices online accurate? When I search for a flight (ie AC1) it shows wifi being available with option to purchase before. The cost for the one way flight is $21, which is reasonable. Page seems to be geared at North American flights though with surface to air connectivity. Are the prices for TPAC posted anywhere?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:50 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jinxer226
Looks like Air Canada updated their WiFi web page. It shows the fleet WiFi installation progress.
I would take that with a grain of salt. It says all 21 CR9s have WiFi, but the 5 new-build CR9s have been flying for about 18 months with no WiFi. I did manage to avoid any CR9 flights in May, but I flew on a couple different fins in late April and there was no sign of WiFi, nor do any of those birds appear to have been taken out of service for a few days for WiFi install in the past few weeks. It's possible that I'm wrong and they do now have WiFi, but I'm skeptical.

You have enough posts and time on the board to edit the wiki, you know.

Originally Posted by wysiwyg
Are the prices online accurate? When I search for a flight (ie AC1) it shows wifi being available with option to purchase before. The cost for the one way flight is $21, which is reasonable. Page seems to be geared at North American flights though with surface to air connectivity. Are the prices for TPAC posted anywhere?
Accurate? Well, if you purchase online before your flight, you will pay the price stated online and get a pass for a flight. If you wait to purchase on the aircraft, the price will be different. If you're flying one short segment, e.g. YYZ-YUL, the price will likely be lower than $21 on the plane. But if you're flying LGA-YYZ-YYC, paying $21 for the full itinerary in advance (if it truly is good for connecting flights as the website says) will be far cheaper than buying separate LGA-YYZ and YYZ-YYC passes, and likely cheaper than the price of a day pass.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite, Delta PM, *G, Skyteam ElitePlus, Nexus,
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I would take that with a grain of salt. It says all 21 CR9s have WiFi, but the 5 new-build CR9s have been flying for about 18 months with no WiFi. I did manage to avoid any CR9 flights in May, but I flew on a couple different fins in late April and there was no sign of WiFi, nor do any of those birds appear to have been taken out of service for a few days for WiFi install in the past few weeks. It's possible that I'm wrong and they do now have WiFi, but I'm skeptical.
According to the website, I will have WiFi available on my B77L on Thursday. As long as they don't change the fin on me. I will update you guys on the status on FIN 701, the first B77L with WiFI installed.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
AC is tweeting this link today https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ard/wi-fi.html which says 19 of 19 77W's and 1 of 6 77L's now have Wi-Fi.
--
13F
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
AC is tweeting this link today https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ard/wi-fi.html which says 19 of 19 77W's and 1 of 6 77L's now have Wi-Fi.
--
13F
First experience with the WiFi on the 777 deadheading to FRA. The connectivity was extremely good far surpassing recent experiences on two other Star Carriers.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
--
13F
I guess we can update the wiki about the 77Ws

Though I'm extremely disappointed about the Dreamliners.

I "hope" they have a bunch set up, just not turned on. Although that might annoy me even more. Ugh.

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
First experience with the WiFi on the 777 deadheading to FRA. The connectivity was extremely good far surpassing recent experiences on two other Star Carriers.
I am very disappointed you're not on 739 today. Luckily, wifi is working, so I can publicly express my dissatisfaction

And yes, I acknowledge that I never told you I was on 739 today
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Okay I am streaming Hulu (restricted to US only) on YYZ-SFO with my AC monthly pass. I am EXTREMELY impressed right now.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ and wysiwyg like this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite, Delta PM, *G, Skyteam ElitePlus, Nexus,
Wifi confirmed on fin 701. Very spotty over China. And there was no connection over the pole!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Wifi confirmed on fin 701. Very spotty over China. And there was no connection over the pole!
Geostationary satellites (which is what GoGo use presently) don't provide polar coverage. Low Earth Orbit (LEO) constellations do. (Iridium NEXT as an example).
GoGo coverage map here: (Scroll down a bit to find it) https://www.gogoair.com/commercial/i...t-systems/2ku/
wysiwyg and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:06 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
According to the website, I will have WiFi available on my B77L on Thursday. As long as they don't change the fin on me. I will update you guys on the status on FIN 701, the first B77L with WiFI installed.
Glad to hear you ended up having WiFi on your flight.

However, the website tool will not be reliable until all fins of a type have WiFi installed because aircraft are not assigned to flights until about 48 hours out, and even then the assigned fin will usually change several times between when it's first visible publicly (based on what's on FR24) and the flight. Unless one is checking just a few hours before a fight, when the fin is fairly locked in, the tool's result will be a guess, at best.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Adam Smith

However, the website tool will not be reliable until all fins of a type have WiFi installed because aircraft are not assigned to flights until about 48 hours out, and even then the assigned fin will usually change several times between when it's first visible publicly (based on what's on FR24) and the flight. Unless one is checking just a few hours before a fight, when the fin is fairly locked in, the tool's result will be a guess, at best.
THIS. And thank you for the reminder.

Not everyone understands when or how aircraft are assigned, that swaps can happen, that wifi may not work on an aircraft that had it installed (and may have worked on a previous flight), and that there are dead zones around the planet. As many of us know, some of this info is in the link posted above by @AtlanticXpat

This morning's Altitude Report had a segment about the wifi....

....which links to the AC page https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ard/wi-fi.html

I noted these 2 pieces of info

On the AC page with this bit is a list of all the aircraft and the percent of completed installation of wifi

And this bit

Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
It’s funny that on Air Canada’s page, they claim you “Can now stream your favourite TV show or movie during your flight just as you would at home.”, while when you try to pre-purchase a plan on the gogo site, it says “Gogo does not support live video or streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO GO.”

Has anyone pre-purchased a $21 one way pass and used it on an international flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.