Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by jaysona
Originally Posted by FirstTimeAcPoster
Ah! I see you're puzzled by the hump! See, that's where they put the satellite wi-fi antenna.

Ya, I've been trying to teach Jayson how in-flight Wi-Fi works for awhile now.... he doesn't listen.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by gabdusch
I was on FIN 742 yesterday (AC31 YYZ-PEK) and noticed Wi-Fi equipment near door L1.

I was able to connect to the Gogo portal (gogoinflight) but could not access the internet at all. Of course, most of AC31 is outside of the coverage area but I'm not sure if AC intends to wait until all FINs are equipped or they plan to do a gradual rollout.

Anyway, one thing the Gogo portal showed is the coverage map which I thought was worth posting here. Interesting that China, India and Australia are completely excluded.
I believe that to provide Satcoms services in India (which is a highly regulated market where you can't, as a private individual, legally own a satellite phone for example) the satellite operator needs to "land" traffic to an earth station in country. Similar dynamic for China. The gap in Australia coverage is a bit of a surprise. ViaSat provides Ka band coverage in Australia so perhaps its a competitive thing.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:08 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by smallmj
When the coverage follows international borders that closely it looks more like a regulatory issue than a technical one.
WiFi is also not available over China on other carriers, including LH, so it's not just an AC issue.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
WiFi is also not available over China on other carriers, including LH, so it's not just an AC issue.
What cannot be censored will not be permitted.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
I'm on a rouge 767 this week, unfortunately it's showing no WiFi

There's now a tool to search if your flight will have wi-fi for flights departing within 5 days:
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ard/wi-fi.html

EDIT: Nevermind, the tool is based off of old information. For example, all the 77W (28J) all have wi-fi, but the tool is showing no wi-fi for a bunch of flights that are 77W (28J) equipment. I wish they would just publish a list of which FINs have it.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by philelite
There's now a tool to search if your flight will have wi-fi for flights departing within 5 days:
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ard/wi-fi.html

EDIT: Nevermind, the tool is based off of old information. For example, all the 77W (28J) all have wi-fi, but the tool is showing no wi-fi for a bunch of flights that are 77W (28J) equipment. I wish they would just publish a list of which FINs have it.
Typical of AC IT to build a tool that will deliver incorrect and/or useless results. I'm not even sure how they expect this to work in theory when they have things like a fleet of CRAs that have WiFi and CR9s that don't, yet they certainly don't know five days out whether a flight will be a CRA or CR9.

WiFi working not too badly this morning. Not the best I've seen, but better than a lot of my experiences in the past few months.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Has anyone been able to maintain an SSH connection on the ground-based Gogo?

I keep getting "Connection to xx.xx.xx.xx port 22: Broken pipe" after a few minutes.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by philelite
AC007 definitely had Wi-Fi, and over China as well. The new coverage map now shows coverage for most of the world. I'll see if I can grab that on the return flight.

Comments:

1. If the plane supports Wi-Fi, there will be a Wi-Fi logo on the right-hand side wall as your enter the plane from the jet bridge.

2. The SSID is "ACWiFi", which should be the only network available at 35,000 feet. Bandwidth was pretty good, with only a slight lag... although I was one of the only people using it. $10 for a 13.5 hour flight is a decent deal. We'll see how long they keep the promotional pricing.

3. While my Apple iPhone/iPad Safari browser had no trouble redirecting to the GoGo landing page, my Win7 laptop Chrome browser would not redirect from either an HTTP or HTTPS address. Manually typing in the whitelisted URL "www.gogoair.com" in the browser seemed to redirect it correctly.

4. If you log onto a second device with your GoGo account while in flight, the internet connection with switch to your second device.

5. Interestingly, you can still do Google searches outside of the paywall. However, clicking on any of the search results (or any other URL for that matter) won't work until you actually log in and pay.

Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
​​​​​​​The AC wifi checker seems to be updated now. It shows several 772s with Wifi now.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR72
The AC wifi checker seems to be updated now. It shows several 772s with Wifi now.
That seems to contradict some other sources from AC

For example, the flight status page in the app.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Surprising. On my recent YVR - LHR, slow internet was priced at $28.95. Fast internet, supposedly suitable for streaming, was priced at $42.50. It was anything but fast, and definitely very laggy.

Originally Posted by roadracer
AC007 definitely had Wi-Fi, and over China as well. The new coverage map now shows coverage for most of the world. I'll see if I can grab that on the return flight.

Comments:

1. If the plane supports Wi-Fi, there will be a Wi-Fi logo on the right-hand side wall as your enter the plane from the jet bridge.

2. The SSID is "ACWiFi", which should be the only network available at 35,000 feet. Bandwidth was pretty good, with only a slight lag... although I was one of the only people using it. $10 for a 13.5 hour flight is a decent deal. We'll see how long they keep the promotional pricing.

3. While my Apple iPhone/iPad Safari browser had no trouble redirecting to the GoGo landing page, my Win7 laptop Chrome browser would not redirect from either an HTTP or HTTPS address. Manually typing in the whitelisted URL "www.gogoair.com" in the browser seemed to redirect it correctly.

4. If you log onto a second device with your GoGo account while in flight, the internet connection with switch to your second device.

5. Interestingly, you can still do Google searches outside of the paywall. However, clicking on any of the search results (or any other URL for that matter) won't work until you actually log in and pay.

Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by roadracer

On the narrowbody WiFi, I've had the same with #3 on my work laptop for the past few months (Chrome or IE), but not on my Windows 8 Surface Pro 3. I believe it's something to do with security settings as I have also been unable to get on to WS's WiFi at all or use the WiFi at a friend's place where I was staying recently.

#4 is the same on the narrowbodies as well; you're only allowed one device at a time.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Posting this live from AC62 ICN-YYZ, on fin 742 (40J 77W)

Special (introductory?) pricing of 10$CAD for the whole flight (instead of 28.50$) with a disclaimer that we might experience reduced coverage over the poles.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by gabdusch
Posting this live from AC62 ICN-YYZ, on fin 742 (40J 77W)

Special (introductory?) pricing of 10$CAD for the whole flight (instead of 28.50$) with a disclaimer that we might experience reduced coverage over the poles.
Had the same offer on a HKG-YYZ flight last week on a 77W. And WiFi was quite good too.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Wifi is either available or not available over China depending on whether or not the crew bothers to turn it off. I had full coverage on UA flights EWR/HKG that went eastbound and down through communist China where the crew was napping, eating, gossiping or otherwise too busy to bother to turn it off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.