Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2021, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...l#post32476554
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 7:52 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Hi all -

Just a little PSA for those of you who used to travel all the time and used the Gogo monthly pass:

I recalled an email from last April that said they were waiving fees, so I never thought twice about it since then. I traveled last week for the first time in 14 months, and when I went to do expenses for the first time, I realized my CC has been being charged $65.95 a month since May of last year. Clearly my fault for not paying attention, but 11 payments for $725.45 was a pretty big mistake on my end! I was able to get them to refund the amount over the live chat on the Gogo website, so problem solved, but good to check your cards! They first offered 22 free single-use credits, but a very easy 'no thank you' got the refund processed.

So, check your cards!
YYC3722 likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 2:52 pm

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE
DAZN on AC WIFI

Has anyone with a DAZN account tried to stream a live sports event using the AC on-board WIFI?
I'm curious if access through the app would be blocked either by AC or due to a non-Canadian IP address.
It looks like my flight (AC56 YYZ-DXB) will track toward NFLD before heading over the ocean, within the Go-Go coverage map during the time I would like to catch the night NFL game. How spotty is the streaming quality on the 787 when within North American airspace?
Old May 28, 2021, 3:11 pm

The widebody wifi doesn't use the system indicated by that coverage map. You should have coverage for basically the whole flight.

As for streaming, I've never had trouble with Canadian services. US services have been harder due to the overhead of the VPN.
YOW_RTW likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 3:54 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YOW_RTW
Has anyone with a DAZN account tried to stream a live sports event using the AC on-board WIFI?
Yes, I have.

I'm curious if access through the app would be blocked either by AC or due to a non-Canadian IP address.
You'll have a Canadian IP, so Dazn won't hassle you.

How spotty is the streaming quality on the 787 when within North American airspace?
The cow has already addressed coverage somewhat. I'll just add that coverage is often poor (or non-existent) for long stretches of TATLs due to poor satellite coverage near the pole, but YYZ-DXB doesn't generally track very far north, so you should have decent connectivity for most, if not all, of the flight.
lsquare and YOW_RTW like this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 1:37 pm

Flew A333 FIN 939 today, aircanada.com indicated no Wi-Fi but it was definitely installed.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 4:22 pm

I bought the "Ultimate" option on my flight today. It seems to be available on all aircraft with the high speed system.

It's better than streaming. I was easily able to do Hulu over VPN, which has previously been challenging.

On another note, no wifi on the MAX. As if this aircraft didn't have enough problems...
Old Jul 5, 2021, 5:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I bought the "Ultimate" option on my flight today. It seems to be available on all aircraft with the high speed system.

It's better than streaming. I was easily able to do Hulu over VPN, which has previously been challenging.

On another note, no wifi on the MAX. As if this aircraft didn't have enough problems...
I appreciate AC was cutting costs during COVID but it seemed like the perfect time to get WiFi done... Have to take this plane YYT-YUL on Saturday. I cannot say I am looking forward to it. Give me more A220s, please
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Did anyone else get a free wifi code from TD/Aeroplan and successfully use it? Mine didn't work for me last night.
Has anyone figured out how to use this free TD wifi code? I’ve tried it on 2 flights and can’t figure out where to enter the code.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Has anyone figured out how to use this free TD wifi code? I’ve tried it on 2 flights and can’t figure out where to enter the code.
When you go through the checkout process there is always a spot to enter a code.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
I received a code for a flight to YYZ (i have booked a few) as a TD Visa cc holder, but I could not figure out the reason (e.g., whether it was a revenue flight, award flight, or whether I was seated in J or in Y.).

I just received another code and this time, I was able to ascertain that it was as TD cardholder and for a Y reward flight booking made in the last couple of days.

Last edited by TTC900Rocket; Jul 16, 2021 at 8:01 am Reason: Posted additional WIFI Code
Old Jul 15, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
I really wish they offered such a code for for international flights as well. As a TD infinite Privilege cardholder, I used to be able to sign up for 6 free vouchers on the GoGo site, but that stopped last year. I was then able to exchange one for a valid international code, when chatting with CS while on the flight as their T&Cs for the offer stated international flights as well.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 2:54 pm

Finally got a copy of this:

Additional Document - 737 Wi-Fi Deactivation

IN-FLIGHT SERVICE

February 04, 2021

737 Wi-Fi Deactivation to provide a - more reliable service to customers

Dear Colleagues,

After extensive verifications of the 737 Thales In-flight Entertainment (IFE) and Wi-Fi systems by various departments at Air Canada, it was found that the Thales FlytLive connectivity system was not able to provide reliable Wi-Fi service onboard of B737MAX aircraft. In order to protect our brand and prevent poor service provided to our customers, the system will be deactivated onboard all the 737 aircrafts until a reliable solution is found. Customers and crew will not have access to onboard Wi-Fi.

Please DO NOT raise any cabin defect against the connectivity system because it is permanently deactivated at this moment, until a solution is found.

As crew, you may notice some status messages in the ICMT Attendant Control panel

(ACP). These are expected due to the connectivity system deactivation.

1. On the Splash screen, Entertainment will show red because of all connectivity LRUS are off-line.

[ Photo of screen ]

2. Under All Cabin GUI screen, on the right bottom corner, red dot will show instead of green because of all connectivity LRUS are off-line.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:20 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
The mind boggles how AC or Thales could do a rollout of these systems without extensive testing.

I know (from personal experience) that hardware is hard and High-Gig RF is even harder, but this isn't exactly a rare aircraft. But good to know if I get Maxed anytime soon.

Thanks canadiancow for the inside info.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 2:46 pm

I'm really annoyed with the CR9 situation.

I'm flying to YVR on Friday (first trip "to" Canada in 2021!), and I've picked the last (1650) departure, because I can't risk not having wifi on either of the earlier options (this one is late enough that I don't need to be connected).

But I'd really like to have dinner in YVR, so the 1230 option is my preference... if it has wifi.

I might just change my flight to the 1230, work from SFO all day, and get the GA to check with the crew if they have wifi. If not, switch back to the 1650. Or I guess once the inbound is airborne, I can just check against the wiki.

But that's such a hassle for something that really shouldn't be an issue, especially given AC's site claims all the CR9s have wifi.
Bohemian1 and YYC3722 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.