Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:16 am

Wifi to Sydney

Booked to fly to Sydney via Singapore in February and wondered what the chances are that the 777 might have wifi?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Scallops
Booked to fly to Sydney via Singapore in February and wondered what the chances are that the 777 might have wifi?
sorry, are you flying YVR SYD SIN and wondering if the YVR SYD flight would have wifi? Or SIN SYD YVR?
the mention of SIN is throwing me off
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
So which 77W fins have Wifi?

Also,does AC actually charge for wifi for J on TPAC/TATL routes?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
So which 77W fins have Wifi?

Also,does AC actually charge for wifi for J on TPAC/TATL routes?
They do.

They actually offered me 4 different rates:
  • 1h General Browsing $14.00
  • Full flight General Browsing $28.50
  • 1h Streaming $25.00
  • Full flight streaming $42.50
Of note, they said this:

Streaming:
Gogo expects that users of this pass will typically experience download speeds of 3-22Mbps for the first 240MB downloaded within an hour, and upload speeds of 250-500 Kbps for the first 20MB. [...]400 Kbps-2Mbps for the remainder of the hour [...] [and] uploads speeds of 100-200 Kbps.
[...]
We expect that users will typically experience latency between 600-1000ms
General Browsing:
Gogo expects that users of this pass will typically experience download speeds of 3-13Mbps for the first 120MB downloaded within an hour, and upload speeds of 250-500 Kbps for the first 20MB. [...]400 Kbps-1Mbps for the remainder of the hour [...] [and] uploads speeds of 100-200 Kbps.
[...]
We expect that users will typically experience latency between 600-1000ms
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
La... I can... ten... deal...cy with. Wai .ting.. ting ..a .. tir0e... 9.. mitutenu.. fight... login for a render ... page to ... makes less it.... worth nothing .... than ./
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
GoGo ATG issues during the past week or so?

Has anyone been having issues connecting to the ground using GoGo on the narrow body aircraft?

For the past week or so, I have noticed a regular issue with the authentication portion of the connection process - to the point where using GoGo on Rapidair flights was pretty much pointless, since there is only about 35 or so minutes flight time where Internet access is useful.

The symptoms are pretty much the same for all flights. The Air Canada logo show up, then the various pass options are presented, but as soon as I try to sign in and redeem my pass, the process just hangs while trying to communicate with airborne.gogoinflight.com/

Initial connection to the in-aircraft wifi access point:

Air Canada pricing and GoGo pass redemption page:

GoGo ATG authentication always fails:

Last edited by jaysona; Jan 2, 2018 at 9:46 pm
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by jaysona
Has anyone been having issues connecting to the ground using GoGo on the narrow body aircraft?

For the past week or so, I have noticed a regular issue with the authentication portion of the connection process - to the point where using GoGo on Rapidair flights was pretty much pointless, since there is only about 35 or so minutes flight time where Internet access is useful.

The symptoms are pretty much the same for all flights. The Air Canada logo show up, then the various pass options are presented, but as soon as I try to sign in and redeem my pass, the process just hangs while trying to communicate with airborne.gogoinflight.com/

Have you tried turning it off and on?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Have you tried turning it off and on?
Turning what on and off?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:55 pm

Yes, and I've got an open ticket with a contact there for it that you've reminded me to follow up on.

The issue is buy.gogoinflight.com, which is where you are being redirected when you click on login, or one of the packages. It resolves, but the server isn't responsive. It seems like their settings aren't properly allowing the traffic through much of the time.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Yes, I had that issue for about 50% of my EYW flights. It would take 30-120 minutes before it would start working.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
I was on FIN 742 yesterday (AC31 YYZ-PEK) and noticed Wi-Fi equipment near door L1.

I was able to connect to the Gogo portal (gogoinflight) but could not access the internet at all. Of course, most of AC31 is outside of the coverage area but I'm not sure if AC intends to wait until all FINs are equipped or they plan to do a gradual rollout.

Anyway, one thing the Gogo portal showed is the coverage map which I thought was worth posting here. Interesting that China, India and Australia are completely excluded.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by gabdusch
Anyway, one thing the Gogo portal showed is the coverage map which I thought was worth posting here. Interesting that China, India and Australia are completely excluded.
When the coverage follows international borders that closely it looks more like a regulatory issue than a technical one.
gabdusch likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by gabdusch
I was on FIN 742 yesterday (AC31 YYZ-PEK) and noticed Wi-Fi equipment near door L1.

I was able to connect to the Gogo portal (gogoinflight) but could not access the internet at all. Of course, most of AC31 is outside of the coverage area but I'm not sure if AC intends to wait until all FINs are equipped or they plan to do a gradual rollout.

In-flight wi-fi in India is not allowed as per the government. Indian security agencies are not convinced it is safe. Airlines who have wi-fi must turn it off while flying over India.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:37 pm

FIN501 at YYZ earlier today.

http://www.jaysona.com/ft/ac-ap/7M8/7m8wifi.jpg
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
FIN501 at YYZ earlier today.
Ah! I see you're puzzled by the hump! See, that's where they put the satellite wi-fi antenna.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.