Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:25 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Is it just me or is the WiFi getting worse? I don't know whether it's just because more people are using it or whether it's something to do with equipment, but it seems slower these days. I don't know how people here can talk about streaming video content when I can't even get a 3MB e-mail downloaded.

Also, last night when I bought WiFi on a YVR-YYC, it showed be $12.95 with no tax for $12.95 total. But when I checked my receipt this morning, it shows $0.91 worth of PST and $0.65 worth of GST for $14.51 total. Anyone else had a problem like that?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Unfortunately due to weather, my YVR-SFO flight connecting to United was delayed and AC rebooked me against my wishes on the YVR-TPE nonstop which aside from what I expect to be substandard service and food offerings compared to what I expected on UA Polaris, I now discover there is no inflight wifi and I am essentially unreachable for 14 hours. How does a supposedly global airline not offer any form of inflight connectivity on long haul widebodies in 2017?
skybluesea likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Is it just me or is the WiFi getting worse? I don't know whether it's just because more people are using it or whether it's something to do with equipment, but it seems slower these days. I don't know how people here can talk about streaming video content when I can't even get a 3MB e-mail downloaded.

Also, last night when I bought WiFi on a YVR-YYC, it showed be $12.95 with no tax for $12.95 total. But when I checked my receipt this morning, it shows $0.91 worth of PST and $0.65 worth of GST for $14.51 total. Anyone else had a problem like that?
Yes it is getting worse. I often find it won't even let me (or anyone else judging by looking around) log on for 30+ mins (up to 2 hours) after we have climbed above 10,000 ft. That is across a variety of aircraft and geographies in NA.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Unfortunately due to weather, my YVR-SFO flight connecting to United was delayed and AC rebooked me against my wishes on the YVR-TPE nonstop which aside from what I expect to be substandard service and food offerings compared to what I expected on UA Polaris, I now discover there is no inflight wifi and I am essentially unreachable for 14 hours. How does a supposedly global airline not offer any form of inflight connectivity on long haul widebodies in 2017?
Most of us would welcome this disconnection! Nonetheless AC is far from alone when it comes to lack of wifi on long haul flights.
​​​
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Noticed that Netflix works now on GOGO ground-based wifi
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ridefar
Yes it is getting worse. I often find it won't even let me (or anyone else judging by looking around) log on for 30+ mins (up to 2 hours) after we have climbed above 10,000 ft. That is across a variety of aircraft and geographies in NA.
I don't think I've had that, but I've had long stretches where it's basically impossible to load even simple web pages.

Originally Posted by philelite
Noticed that Netflix works now on GOGO ground-based wifi
Is that's what's on the rouge planes? Any of the mainline fleet have it yet?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
I don't think I've had that, but I've had long stretches where it's basically impossible to load even simple web pages.

Is that's what's on the rouge planes? Any of the mainline fleet have it yet?
this is mainline on E90
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ridefar
I want to make it explicitly clear that at least half of my 20ish flights in October/November with wifi had this issue.

This is a real problem.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I want to make it explicitly clear that at least half of my 20ish flights in October/November with wifi had this issue.

This is a real problem.
Was it because the system needed a reset (I had that happen once a couple weeks ago) or just wasn't working properly?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:01 am

Was it because the system needed a reset (I had that happen once a couple weeks ago) or just wasn't working properly?
It just wouldn't work for the first 30-120 minutes. No reset was required.

You could get up to the page that listed prices, but as soon as I clicked "login", it just hung.

One flight, I just managed to get my Aeroplan number in the EYW box at about 11k feet, on descent.

I actually need to write Gogo about this, because it seriously impacted the pass I paid for.

And I had other EYWers on some of these flights, so I know it's not just me.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:09 am

I actually need to write Gogo about this, because it seriously impacted the pass I paid for.
Let us know where you get to with that. I haven't yet had an experience quite that bad, so I haven't yet bothered, but I'm tempted for last night's flight.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Based on what @canadiancow advised on another thread, perhaps this thread needs to be updated by those who have info on the 777's that have wifi active, unless "active" is some annoying term that could mean something like "installed, active, but not turned on" or some crap like that.

It's active on 13 fins of the 777 fleet.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29197311-post12.html
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Based on what @canadiancow advised on another thread, perhaps this thread needs to be updated by those who have info on the 777's that have wifi active, unless "active" is some annoying term that could mean something like "installed, active, but not turned on" or some crap like that.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29197311-post12.html
"Active" meaning you can use it.

It's active on all the 28J 77W planes. I don't know what FINs those are, but I'm sure someone does.

I don't have a list of the others though.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
It just wouldn't work for the first 30-120 minutes. No reset was required.

You could get up to the page that listed prices, but as soon as I clicked "login", it just hung.

One flight, I just managed to get my Aeroplan number in the EYW box at about 11k feet, on descent.

And I had other EYWers on some of these flights, so I know it's not just me.
I actually wrote Gogo two weeks ago, and still haven't heard back. TY for the reminder to follow up.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by YOWzer
Had wifi on yvr-yow recently.
Just tried the WIFI on the plane from St John's to YYZ. The speed was okay but not fast though. The prices are affordable but hoping to get a lower rate.

Acceptable!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.