Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by antirealist
Same here, a couple of times. No SSID is being broadcast "because we are too far from the US border..."
Oh, my SD knew it was down - there was no disagreement there. ( he actually did check on his phone if the SSID was displaying ). But I got a long speach about how they are "not allowed to reset it" and that the "buttons are only there for emergencys". Etc.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
When it happened to me a couple of weeks ago, they kept up the line about being too far from the border, but eventually took me seriously and communicated with HQ about it by ACARS - the SD even showed me the messages. In the end the pilots just pulled the circuit breaker, the system rebooted and worked perfectly.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by antirealist
When it happened to me a couple of weeks ago, they kept up the line about being too far from the border, but eventually took me seriously and communicated with HQ about it by ACARS - the SD even showed me the messages. In the end the pilots just pulled the circuit breaker, the system rebooted and worked perfectly.
Yes, there are 2 ways to reset.

1) In the cabin on the unit, a basic re-set.
2) the switch in the cockpit which the pilot can flip.

When the SSID isn't broadcasting it typically requires the 2nd option to be done.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 2:14 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Gogo WiFi Longhaul

Anyone know when the first B777 is to be rolled out with the WiFi?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 2:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Fall 2016
Old Oct 30, 2016, 3:43 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite, Continental Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
I've just had to book two long hauls in Z (LHR->LAX and LHR->IAH) on United because I can't afford a day totally disconnected (flights are both 1 connection, roughly the same duration as if I did AC via YYZ).

The United hard product is not as good as AC for day flights (I actually sleep better in UAs BF vs ExecuSuites) but the Wifi won out.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
wifi annoucements to come in the near future?

So, I was doing what I typically do on a Friday afternoon when I have a few minutes free, and came across the following domains registered by AC on Monday of this week.

Code:
Domain                Date Registered:
aircanadawifi.ca      2016-11-01
aircanadawifi.com     2016-11-03
rougewifi.ca          2016-11-01
rougewifi.com         2016-11-02
I wonder what is next for AC and wifi?

Last edited by jaysona; Nov 4, 2016 at 8:32 pm
Old Nov 4, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by eastcoastcan
I've just had to book two long hauls in Z (LHR->LAX and LHR->IAH) on United because I can't afford a day totally disconnected (flights are both 1 connection, roughly the same duration as if I did AC via YYZ).

The United hard product is not as good as AC for day flights (I actually sleep better in UAs BF vs ExecuSuites) but the Wifi won out.
That's too bad. I guess I'm old school. I prefer to sit back and have the only peace and quiet left on earth. I couldn't care less for wifi. One place you can't find me. That wins out for me.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 7:41 pm
Suspended

AC was supposed to start wifi installation on widebodies by now. Does anyone know what the status of this is?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyzborg
AC was supposed to start wifi installation on widebodies by now. Does anyone know what the status of this is?
Same question from me.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 4:14 am

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
Issues connecting to GoGo WiFi on E75's/E90's?

Curious if anyone else is having problems connecting to GoGo WiFi on E75's/E90's ... but not having any issues on other WiFi enabled planes in the fleet?

(Running W10).
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:39 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyzborg
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Same question from me.
Might it have been logical to start doing this on the 333s that are going in for PE refurbs?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by adam.smith
Might it have been logical to start doing this on the 333s that are going in for PE refurbs?
I asked why it was not done on all of the 777s that went in for refurb.

So now, when they eventually get around to doing it, the wide bodies will be rotated out of service again. Someone else can answer how long the wifi installation takes, but still.

One AC crew member recently said "Oh wifi in the derailments is coming in 2017"

And 2017 has 365 days, 12 months and a few seasons in between.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
For the techie gurus - how difficult can this be?

Recently flew biz IST-BKK with TK, and Wifi worked all the way, including across remote Western China - just put in my seat #, and connection seamless, without co-pay.

Have recently communicated to AC on their mediocre amenities, including this topic - and just excuses, excuses, excuses!
Old Dec 25, 2016, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well I have upcoming flights, first time on AC, in February. SFO-YVR and YVR-HKG.

Sounds like maybe wifi on the short flight but not on the TPAC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.