Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
3 weeks ago my girlfriend had the gogo hotspot available and able to connect to on YYC - YVR, but actual internet was not yet running on it.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Originally Posted by D582
I'm assuming this was Gogo... I thought the service did not work in Canada... only on flights over the US?
Yes it was Gogo.

Yes that was my thinking too but since 112 basically skirts the US border for most of the flight it might be why it's available.

Also danapop speed was barely good enough for a crappy-quality Skype call. I can't imagine being able to realistically stream any video.

And I chatted with the SD about the service, and yes, she also told me that the plan is to expand the service pretty soon. Let's hope so ^
Old Mar 3, 2014, 3:42 pm

Wifi will be available as of this month March when flying in Canada on only 2 fins 280/282. The network is now available. I am not sure if AC is planning to add other aircrafts.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: AC E35, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by D582
I'm assuming this was Gogo... I thought the service did not work in Canada... only on flights over the US?
Gogo has been installing base stations in Canada over the last year.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
So if GOGO is all over Canada, I am assuming this mean no WIFI TATL or TPAC?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by danapop
So if GOGO is all over Canada, I am assuming this mean no WIFI TATL or TPAC?
Gogo requires ground based EVDO cell towers with the antennas pointed upwards. Ocean coverage requires satellite based systems such as Panasonic's latest Ku band offering.

So, no, no TATL or TPAC coverage.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona
Gogo requires ground based EVDO cell towers with the antennas pointed upwards. Ocean coverage requires satellite based systems such as Panasonic's latest Ku band offering.

So, no, no TATL or TPAC coverage.
GoGo does have a satellite solution as well. UA, DL, Aeromexico, JAL & AA are in the process of installing it.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...i/default.aspx

Last edited by cedric; Mar 3, 2014 at 7:07 pm
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: AE Diamond, SPG Gold, Air Miles Gold, Amex AE Plat
FWIW, flew on TK from YYZ-IST on 777 and there was (free!) wifi connectivity, even in Canadian airspace.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by cedric
GoGo does have a satellite solution as well. UA, DL, Aeromexico, JAL & AA are in the process of installing it.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...i/default.aspx
The satellite solution currently being rolled out still requires the use of terrestrial ground stations. The user request is sent to the ground over the EV-DO network, and the response is sent back to the user via the satellite. Speeds aren't too shabby, I was on a test flight not too long ago averaged about ~8bps, but lag time can be something fierce - which makes sense.
-
I have been told that Ka band satellite service won't be ready for general roll-out beyond the US for another 18 - 24 months or so.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
I think there are still bugs to work out regardless of who or where it's being offered. Recently experienced:

LH A346 FRA/YYZ - Completely dead entire routing (guessing aircraft outage)
DL B757 SFO/YYZ - Somewhat Patchy
DL CR9 DTW/YYZ - Fast and flawless
AC A319 CUN/YYC - Searching until landfall hit beyond Gulf of Mexico
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jaysona
Speeds aren't too shabby, I was on a test flight not too long ago averaged about ~8bps
Is that sarcasm, or a typo?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Is that sarcasm, or a typo?
D'oh! Definitely a typo, it should have been 8Mbps, although I am sure many feel like the current gogo wifi is in the range of 8bps sometimes.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
I had the free Amex-sponsored wifi 2 nights ago on AC248 A319 from YVR to YEG. Signal was strong and fast enough for regular web browsing but did cut out a few times.

No advanced signage or indicators of wifi availability on this flight (that I noticed). Only the flight attendant's announcement as the seat belt sign turned off.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Any definitive list of fin numbers? On AC161 tomorrow and would love wifi.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by danapop
Any definitive list of fin numbers? On AC161 tomorrow and would love wifi.
I think 280 and 282 are the wifi equipped ones. Had free wifi YWG-YYZ though it didn't start working until about 30 mins into the flight once close enough to the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.