Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yvrgary
Probably the same general reason they're still using the same IFE system from what, eight years ago?

Nobody in management has been able to figure out whether it's revenue positive, and they don't want to touch anything that might only improve experience without increasing revenue?

Well, near as I can tell AC still has phones. And email.

Maybe they should have a chat with BR and LH and ask them about how they are able to offer it as a paid service on their long-haul trans-oceanic lights, and maybe be bold and ask about the revenue stream they have from these services.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
Further to my post upthread about having wifi on AC 791, I still don't understand why it is so difficult for AC to get the wide body fleet up to speed.

Sure, I can sleep or whatever on my back and forth TPACs, but it's not like it's a free service.

I understand that AC made the choice to go with ground-based wifi service and that might be nice for all those who fly Dom or TB, but the rest of us don't even have access to that feature.
My understanding is that they chose to go with Gogo. And Gogo only had a ground based system.

It is also my understanding that they're adding a satellite based system, and AC is looking into getting it on their wide-bodies.

It's not just the domestic/transborder flyers who are affected by this though. I flew on a 767 on Thursday from SFO-YYZ. No wifi for me. It's a choice between a pod and wifi. And as much as I like internet, I prefer a pod.

Actually if the wide-body fleet were fully equipped, I'd seriously consider a monthly pass.

I pre-purchased a $16 day pass the other day for my flights tomorrow. I would have paid $16 for my flight on Thursday if it had wifi. I had two other flights this month that I would have paid $16 on. That's already more than the cost of a monthly pass.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
My understanding is that they chose to go with Gogo. And Gogo only had a ground based system.

It is also my understanding that they're adding a satellite based system, and AC is looking into getting it on their wide-bodies.

It's not just the domestic/transborder flyers who are affected by this though. I flew on a 767 on Thursday from SFO-YYZ. No wifi for me. It's a choice between a pod and wifi. And as much as I like internet, I prefer a pod.

Actually if the wide-body fleet were fully equipped, I'd seriously consider a monthly pass.

I pre-purchased a $16 day pass the other day for my flights tomorrow. I would have paid $16 for my flight on Thursday if it had wifi. I had two other flights this month that I would have paid $16 on. That's already more than the cost of a monthly pass.

I know they chose to use GoGo as this was mentioned before. I was on 4 flights with AA and they also use GoGo. (They also have more options of passes to buy.)

The fact that AC "plans" to add satellite based wifi on the wide bodies does not answer my question as to why it is taking so long.

Also, while AC Dom/TB pax have a better chance due to regionals and narrow-bodies, it does not address the issue that affects those of us who fly AC on long-hauls across oceans. I mentioned this in my post upthread and I am saying so again.

Would I choose BR over AC on my next trip to TPE/HKG because they have wifi? Maybe.
Would I choose LH instead of AC on my next TATL? Maybe

I may also choose those carriers based on other great things I experienced.

Also, IIRC, you wrote that you had wifi on your UA TATL from SFO.

Maybe it's time for AC to participate on this forum where they can answer questions without guessing from forum participants.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: SE100K (Star Gold)
Would I choose BR over AC on my next trip to TPE/HKG because they have wifi? Maybe.
Would I choose LH instead of AC on my next TATL? Maybe
Based on your other brief post about your experience on BR and LH, wouldn't you choose those airlines over AC anyways?

If so, the added parasitic cost of a satellite based WIFI does not give AC the advantage so they would not benefit from the installation of said system.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
AC1177 tonight, E90, Fin 326. No Wifi.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by above.the.clouds
Based on your other brief post about your experience on BR and LH, wouldn't you choose those airlines over AC anyways?

If so, the added parasitic cost of a satellite based WIFI does not give AC the advantage so they would not benefit from the installation of said system.
I choose wifi over almost anything else these days on flights 3hr+.

Recently on my YVR - YYZ/YOW and back I've been picking the narrowbody's for the wifi instead of taking the pod on the widebody.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: SE100K (Star Gold)
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I choose wifi over almost anything else these days on flights 3hr+.

Recently on my YVR - YYZ/YOW and back I've been picking the narrowbody's for the wifi instead of taking the pod on the widebody.
The discussion was about widebodies though. WS does not offer WIFI either.

In your case, either way your spend is on AC.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:30 pm

The discussion was about widebodies though. WS does not offer WIFI either.

In your case, either way your spend is on AC.
only domestically . If I have to choose between AC intl and another carrier on the same route that has wifi I'll often go with the other carrier (sorry AC I do love you)
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:33 pm

I know they chose to use GoGo as this was mentioned before. I was on 4 flights with AA and they also use GoGo. (They also have more options of passes to buy.)

The fact that AC "plans" to add satellite based wifi on the wide bodies does not answer my question as to why it is taking so long.
Sorry, I meant that Gogo as adding satellite based wifi, and THEN AC can do it.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 10:56 pm
Suspended

......Would I choose BR over AC on my next trip to TPE/HKG because they have wifi? Maybe.
Would I choose LH instead of AC on my next TATL? Maybe....

Based on your other brief post about your experience on BR and LH, wouldn't you choose those airlines over AC anyways?....

Not necessarily. It will be the total package of costs, services and so on that determines my next decisions.

...If I have to choose between AC intl and another carrier on the same route that has wifi I'll often go with the other carrier (sorry AC I do love you)

And now for the visual portion of my post:

......I was beyond impressed with the fact that I was able to log on to LH and check-in online for my next flight and get my BP. At 35,000 feet. Over an ocean. Brilliant!

and I was here

and then I was here

Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:08 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I just took my first flight on Westjet yesterday....onboard wifi worked just fine for about US$5 - a fraction of the cost of AC, not to mention the rest of the soft product that makes AC somewhat irrelevant in the domestic market.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Is AC cheaping out on wifi like they are with their IFE procurement(s)?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:59 am

E75, no WiFi.

Someone on FT said the installation was done, but that's clearly not the case.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
E75, no WiFi.

Someone on FT said the installation was done, but that's clearly not the case.
Installation done may != all aircraft have it
Old Oct 25, 2015, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Installation done may != all aircraft have it
It's like public sector spin (all of my clients are in public sector and I see this daily)! "Installed" doesn't mean that it's turned on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.