Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Old Nov 28, 2020, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by recreationaltimetraveller
Gogo now lets you login with your Aeroplan ID (possible elite benefit in 21 being tied to your Aeroplan vs a voucher into Gogo).

However I was unable to login to my Aeroplan Account to authorize it due to the auth flow requiring 2FA (which I couldn't do due to lack of wifi or cell service in the air).

Someone needs to think through this use case.

You free mean wifi as an elite benefit?
Old Nov 28, 2020, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by lsquare
You free mean wifi as an elite benefit?
Yes - right now (or up until earlier this year) the Elite benefit would generate a GOGO voucher code for a free 6 month or 12 month pass. I suspect now it will skip that step and simply assign it to your Aeroplan account and have you authenticate that way.

If they can solve how to implement selective 2FA with Gigya
lsquare and canadiancow like this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by recreationaltimetraveller
Yes - right now (or up until earlier this year) the Elite benefit would generate a GOGO voucher code for a free 6 month or 12 month pass. I suspect now it will skip that step and simply assign it to your Aeroplan account and have you authenticate that way.

If they can solve how to implement selective 2FA with Gigya
Is that 6 or 12 month pass for North America or global?
Old Nov 28, 2020, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It's a global streaming 12 month pass for 75K and SE.

Retail value 840 CAD.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's a global streaming 12 month pass for 75K and SE.

Retail value 840 CAD.
​​​​​​Oh wow. I had no idea. I may have to consider AC status now that OZ have been bought by KE.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Aselwyn
1 hour and 1 way Wifi Passes are 50% off until Dec 2 https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...k-friday-sale:
does this include international flights? i'm travelling to DOH in a few months on a 789
Old Dec 16, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: HH Silver

Air Canada adds WiFi payment via Aeroplan points

Air Canada passengers have a new option to buy in-flight WiFi service. The carrier now offers the ability to pay with Aeroplan points on board.

Passes are available starting as low as 850 points for select flights under 2 hours, and some example prices for entire flight passes include:

YYZ-YUL: 850 pts
YYZ-YVR: 1,400 pts
YYZ-LHR: 2,100 pts
Old Dec 16, 2020, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
But how do you pay with Aeroplan if it asks for 2FA before you're connected?
Old Dec 16, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by tcook052

Air Canada adds WiFi payment via Aeroplan points

Air Canada passengers have a new option to buy in-flight WiFi service. The carrier now offers the ability to pay with Aeroplan points on board.

Passes are available starting as low as 850 points for select flights under 2 hours, and some example prices for entire flight passes include:

YYZ-YUL: 850 pts
YYZ-YVR: 1,400 pts
YYZ-LHR: 2,100 pts
Might as well buy a Keurig with my points!
lsquare and Adam Smith like this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 9:16 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I find it odd that you can only pay with points for some of the passes.

I could kind of understand the monthly passes not being points (might be harder to deal with recurring monthly billing in points), but I'm not sure what makes the day pass so different from the 30-minute or flight passes.

1 cpm is not exactly a good valuation, but based on what other airlines (e.g. DL) have done in terms of paying for ancillary services with points, not at all surprising.

canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I find it odd that you can only pay with points for some of the passes.

I could kind of understand the monthly passes not being points (might be harder to deal with recurring monthly billing in points), but I'm not sure what makes the day pass so different from the 30-minute or flight passes.

1 cpm is not exactly a good valuation, but based on what other airlines (e.g. DL) have done in terms of paying for ancillary services with points, not at all surprising.
Did you end up using points on that one or were you just taking a look.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Did you end up using points on that one or were you just taking a look.
I would definitely not redeem points at 1 cpm. I didn't buy the WiFi at all, was just taking a look at pricing and the pay-with-points option.

Even if I don't intend to buy WiFi on a flight, I'll usually check. Very rarely, but a couple of times I've been on a flight where there has been free WiFi or some sort of discount as part of some promo.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I would definitely not redeem points at 1 cpm. I didn't buy the WiFi at all, was just taking a look at pricing and the pay-with-points option.

Even if I don't intend to buy WiFi on a flight, I'll usually check. Very rarely, but a couple of times I've been on a flight where there has been free WiFi or some sort of discount as part of some promo.
What if you had a billion points? Then would you redeem?

Right. Never hurts to take a look.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
What if you had a billion points? Then would you redeem? l
​​​​​​Probably not. If they offered me WiFi at 2 cpm, maybe.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

​​​​​​Probably not. If they offered me WiFi at 2 cpm, maybe.
I probably would if I had a true boatload of points.

But having said that, for me, I just don't purchase wifi in general when the prices remain arguably exorbitant. That and I really have little need for wifi on board.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.