Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Fair point! lol. I made a bad assumption that they were using infrastructure equipment with some of the most basic needs :P
Keep in mind how old some of this stuff is and what Wi-Fi was like back circa 2003.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by jaysona
Keep in mind how old some of this stuff is and what Wi-Fi was like back circa 2003.
I bought my first WRT54g in December 2002, and started using it in 2003. And it has faster speeds........ :P
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:00 pm

I bought my first WRT54g in December 2002, and started using it in 2003. And it has faster speeds........ :P
No, the circa 2003 WRT54G does not have speeds that are any faster that what is installed in aircraft today. IEEE 802.11b/g is IEEE 802.11b/g regardless of manufacturer (Linksys in your examples, Parvus/CMC/Honeywell, etc). The only difference is that your WRT54G is connected to a high speed connection (xDSL/DOCIS) to the Internet whereas the on aircraft wi-fi router is connected to a very slow EV-DO cellular modem connection to the Internet.

The wi-fi speeds are just fine, the internet connection to the ground is what is slow.

n00b mistake to make - I'll assume you were enjoying a good amount of the lords good brew while writing the above message.....
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona
No, the circa 2003 WRT54G does not have speeds that are any faster that what is installed in aircraft today. IEEE 802.11b/g is IEEE 802.11b/g regardless of manufacturer (Linksys in your examples, Parvus/CMC/Honeywell, etc). The only difference is that your WRT54G is connected to a high speed connection (xDSL/DOCIS) to the Internet whereas the on aircraft wi-fi router is connected to a very slow EV-DO cellular modem connection to the Internet.

The wi-fi speeds are just fine, the internet connection to the ground is what is slow.

n00b mistake to make - I'll assume you were enjoying a good amount of the lords good brew while writing the above message.....
lol!!!!! You know what I meant!!!!!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:47 pm

lol!!!!! You know what I meant!!!!!
Sorry, I'm not a mind reader. Since you seem to have the impression that I knew what you meant, does that mean you think I'm (*gasp*) a female?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
OMFG.

This happens way too often.

We reach 10k feet, I connect, pay, and am happily surfing.

Suddenly, my connection drops. The network cannot be seen on any of my devices.

I ask the crew about it, and they say the passenger in 32B complained it wasn't working, so they reset it.

It takes half an hour to reboot and get to a point that I can connect again.

So because some PEBCAK kettle in 32B, I lose 30 minutes of the wifi I paid for.

I know I could easily complain to gogo about this, and get a free session out of it, but I'd rather AC just stopped doing this.

At the very least, ask your J aisle seat passengers who have their laptops out if they're on the internet.

That being said, the crew was awesome when I talked to them. The SD never flies narrow-bodies (so is unfamiliar with wifi), and one of the FAs is freaking awesome. She understood exactly what I was saying, and they stood beside me discussing how they were going to request stuff from high up to deal with this exact situation.

AC 739 2016-10-10 (but this is by far not the only time I've gone through this)
Old Oct 10, 2016, 6:56 pm

Easy fix, give SD wifi access on his phone every flight to verify if it works.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Easy fix, give SD wifi access on his phone every flight to verify if it works.
That's stupid. Crew are NOT ALLOWED to use the in-flight wifi.

What are you trying to start here?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Must've had one too many pickles today.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:31 pm

Passenger: Can you check to see if the wifi is working?
SD: No, because I am not allowed to use it. Let me reset it and bother the other 12 passengers using it instead.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:33 pm

OMFG.

This happens way too often.

We reach 10k feet, I connect, pay, and am happily surfing.

Suddenly, my connection drops. The network cannot be seen on any of my devices.

I ask the crew about it, and they say the passenger in 32B complained it wasn't working, so they reset it.

It takes half an hour to reboot and get to a point that I can connect again.

So because some PEBCAK kettle in 32B, I lose 30 minutes of the wifi I paid for.

I know I could easily complain to gogo about this, and get a free session out of it, but I'd rather AC just stopped doing this.

At the very least, ask your J aisle seat passengers who have their laptops out if they're on the internet.

That being said, the crew was awesome when I talked to them. The SD never flies narrow-bodies (so is unfamiliar with wifi), and one of the FAs is freaking awesome. She understood exactly what I was saying, and they stood beside me discussing how they were going to request stuff from high up to deal with this exact situation.

AC 739 2016-10-10 (but this is by far not the only time I've gone through this)
I had the opposite problem where it wasn't working ( even showing a network ) and it took a lot of convincing to get them to reboot
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:36 pm

I had the opposite problem where it wasn't working ( even showing a network ) and it took a lot of convincing to get them to reboot
Imagine the level of customer service if the SD could just check their phone, notice it was down and then restart it.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Same here, a couple of times. No SSID is being broadcast "because we are too far from the US border..."
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Passenger: Can you check to see if the wifi is working?
SD: No, because I am not allowed to use it. Let me reset it and bother the other 12 passengers using it instead.
You joke, but this literally happened, and caused me 30 minutes of downtime after I'd been online.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 8:29 pm

You joke, but this literally happened, and caused me 30 minutes of downtime after I'd been online.
I'm with you cow, they really should allow the SD a way to verify themselves if it works or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.