Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Old Mar 24, 2016, 7:55 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by eigenvector
From here: http://journeystosuccess.com/wi-fi-connectivity/
Wi-Fi access is $7.99 from Montreal to Calgary or Vancouver, and Toronto to Calgary or Vancouver, and $5.99 between all other destinations in Canada.
I know the announcement didn't mention TB, but disappointed to see WiFi at $12 on LGA-YUL last night.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by adam.smith
I know the announcement didn't mention TB, but disappointed to see WiFi at $12 on LGA-YUL last night.
It was $5.99 CAD SFO-YVR and YVR-SFO.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 5:48 pm

It worked on my a321 and e90 flight yvr-yyc and vv last weekend. Was nice!
Old Mar 25, 2016, 1:41 am
Suspended

That dynamic pricing model they are using is BS and a ripoff.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
If that's what the market will bear...
Old May 30, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC 100K
GOGO wifi is great! Though, I do wish they would offer complimentary service for AC altitude members as a perk.
Old May 30, 2016, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by roundtheworldin80days
GOGO wifi is great! Though, I do wish they would offer complimentary service for AC altitude members as a perk.
It's apparently been discussed in "service director meetings" about offering it to business class.

But if you think a P25K in Y is ever going to get it free, think again
Old May 30, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
No SSID being broadcast on AC690 yesterday, operated by an A319. I told the SD, who spoke to the captain. He said the only control they have in the cockpit for the system is a circuit breaker.

I would have assumed that the SD would also have some control over the system, but she knew nothing about it.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by antirealist
No SSID being broadcast on AC690 yesterday, operated by an A319. I told the SD, who spoke to the captain. He said the only control they have in the cockpit for the system is a circuit breaker.

I would have assumed that the SD would also have some control over the system, but she knew nothing about it.
Yes, there is little control in the cockpit but in the galley there is some basic controls including the ability to re-boot the system. It's behind one of the panels.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:04 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I bought WiFi on my AC flight YYC-YUL last Friday. It cut out for more than an hour in the middle of the flight. I was annoyed and was going to complain, but today I got this e-mail:

Dear Adam,

Friday you may have been impacted by some intermittent connectivity problems while using Gogo on your flight. Were very sorry for this disruption in our normally reliable service. In an effort to make good we'd like your next purchase of a Gogo session to be on us. Here is a promo code [redacted] that can be redeemed at checkout in flight for a free Gogo session.

If you have any questions feel free to reply to this email. Thank you for your patience and support.

Thanks,
Your friends at Gogo
Pretty pleased to see this proactive approach from Gogo.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
AC822/823 - Need to better brief cabin crew on Wifi....

...primarily that despite the plane (A319) having the Wifi logo on the outside and pax enjoying Wifi coverage when it's flying over Canada & US, there won't be any Wifi available during the flight to UK and back! Narrow bodies being fitted with GoGo Air to Ground wifi & there being a distinct absence of cell towers in the middle of the Atlantic!

Yesterday on 823 the SD gave the usual 'Please to offer GoGo' spiel at the start of the flight, followed up with "We're sorry it doesn't seem to be working, there's nothing the crews can do, suggest you try a bit later' halfway across the Atlantic. I did try to explain to a FA why it wouldn't be working but as she said, AC haven't briefed them on this.

This route will never get wifi coverage IMHO. The narrow bodies are GoGo ATG and only the wde bodies will get GoGo satellite. Bit of a shame as its a 5 hr daytime flight Lhr-Yyt and it'd be nice to have connectivity to pass the time!
Old Jun 18, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by jaysona
The longest part of an aircraft downtime I had to deal with recently was the time required to wait for the antenna bonding agent to cure.
longer than 24 hours for the cure itself? Or does that include setup, doing some sort of thermal profile etc?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
...primarily that despite the plane (A319) having the Wifi logo on the outside and pax enjoying Wifi coverage when it's flying over Canada & US, there won't be any Wifi available during the flight to UK and back! Narrow bodies being fitted with GoGo Air to Ground wifi & there being a distinct absence of cell towers in the middle of the Atlantic!

Yesterday on 823 the SD gave the usual 'Please to offer GoGo' spiel at the start of the flight, followed up with "We're sorry it doesn't seem to be working, there's nothing the crews can do, suggest you try a bit later' halfway across the Atlantic. I did try to explain to a FA why it wouldn't be working but as she said, AC haven't briefed them on this.

This route will never get wifi coverage IMHO. The narrow bodies are GoGo ATG and only the wde bodies will get GoGo satellite. Bit of a shame as its a 5 hr daytime flight Lhr-Yyt and it'd be nice to have connectivity to pass the time!

Yes, well, good luck with that. I've met a few crew who have no clue how wifi works or doesn't. "I don't know, it says it's on"

I do not think it is high on anyone's priority list to explain this, but I find it amusing that crew who fly don't know why GoGo would not be available over the Atlantic, although at least your crew admitted that AC had not briefed them.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Yes, well, good luck with that. I've met a few crew who have no clue how wifi works or doesn't. "I don't know, it says it's on"
Even worse than the crew are the passengers and the technology involved.

I was on a recent flight, sitting in 1C on my laptop (on wifi), when a FA came up and said something to the SD along the lines of "A passenger says the wifi's not working. He can connect to the network, but not get internet."

So I piped up and said "it works fine".

I bet some simple troubleshooting would have fixed the other guy's issue. Captive portals really suck.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Even worse than the crew are the passengers and the technology involved.

I was on a recent flight, sitting in 1C on my laptop (on wifi), when a FA came up and said something to the SD along the lines of "A passenger says the wifi's not working. He can connect to the network, but not get internet."

So I piped up and said "it works fine".

I bet some simple troubleshooting would have fixed the other guy's issue. Captive portals really suck.
If you put together all the common problems (90%+ of the time) and the solutions to those problems, I'm 100% confident it can be fit onto 1 laminated sheet that stays on the plane and is easy to follow.

I'd even create it for AC if they would agree to distribute it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.