Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Old Dec 14, 2022, 4:41 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by raphaelk
Has any recently activated the a Gogo plan received as a chosen benefit from Aeroplan? What is the procedure? Thanks!
With this being your first post, 17 years after joining FT, welcome to posting

The process is described in the wiki. If there's something unclear, please let us know what your specific questions are.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 5:02 pm

Programs: AC
Where do i find the Wiki?
Old Dec 14, 2022, 5:20 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by raphaelk
Where do i find the Wiki?
At the beginning of the thread.
JayTakesOff likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 6:25 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite, Continental Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
I was on the 737Max 3 times this week. On my longest flight (5 hrs) I was excited to be on one of the FINs that has wifi (and the flight status in the app indicated it would). The lead attendant refused to even try to turn it on, saying that the plane absolutely did not have Wifi. Ironically my connecting flight was on the same plane and the new crew had the wifi on when I rebounded an hour later.
YYC3722 and jmt18325 like this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
With this being your first post, 17 years after joining FT, welcome to posting

The process is described in the wiki. If there's something unclear, please let us know what your specific questions are.
Hi - I was hoping someone could walk me through what the actual process is (step by step) for activating the wifi benefit on board. The Wiki description is quite vague.
Thanks
Old Dec 15, 2022, 8:50 pm

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
Originally Posted by WannabeSE
flying this route tomorrow (Monday) will report if the same issue occurs
YYC-FRA Dec 12, no issues.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
This past month flying on AC, I've been having a very rough time using their WIFI onboard (SE100k benefit).

The devices I'm using are: (All running latest OS updates)
- Apple iPhone 13 Pro (50/50 chance of it working)
- Apple iPad Pro 11" (lots of problems, more often than not unable to use WIFI)
- Apple MBP 14" (no issues at all connecting/using)

Basically, it seems to connect to ACWIFI with no issues, but takes 5-10m to get to the Aeroplan login screen. Sometimes, it won't even get to the Aeroplan login screen. Other times it'll go to a GOGO Wifi login, in which I don't have a login and AC SE100k benefit isn't there so I'm stuck.

Also noticing that if my iPhone does connect successfully, it'll disconnect itself if I'm not actively doing something after 5-10m forcing me to reconnect.

I've tried a lot of different things, killed the Private Wi-Fi Address and Limit IP Address Tracking stuff, forcing DNS and HTTP Proxy updates, etc. Nothing seems to make a difference aside from dumb luck it feels like to me.

This seems to have been happening most of November and December for me on A321 and 787 going between YYC and YYZ. I don't know if something has changed but its pretty annoying.

Any tips or tricks anyone has come across to help the situation?
Old Dec 26, 2022, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Cerberus
This past month flying on AC, I've been having a very rough time using their WIFI onboard (SE100k benefit).

The devices I'm using are: (All running latest OS updates)
- Apple iPhone 13 Pro (50/50 chance of it working)
- Apple iPad Pro 11" (lots of problems, more often than not unable to use WIFI)
- Apple MBP 14" (no issues at all connecting/using)

Basically, it seems to connect to ACWIFI with no issues, but takes 5-10m to get to the Aeroplan login screen. Sometimes, it won't even get to the Aeroplan login screen. Other times it'll go to a GOGO Wifi login, in which I don't have a login and AC SE100k benefit isn't there so I'm stuck.

Also noticing that if my iPhone does connect successfully, it'll disconnect itself if I'm not actively doing something after 5-10m forcing me to reconnect.

I've tried a lot of different things, killed the Private Wi-Fi Address and Limit IP Address Tracking stuff, forcing DNS and HTTP Proxy updates, etc. Nothing seems to make a difference aside from dumb luck it feels like to me.

This seems to have been happening most of November and December for me on A321 and 787 going between YYC and YYZ. I don't know if something has changed but its pretty annoying.

Any tips or tricks anyone has come across to help the situation?
I’m not a 100% sure but I have 2 phones and when I bought a wifi plan on board back in August. Connecting my 2nd device will disconnect me from the 1st device and vice versa… which was very annoying. Might explain why you are keep disconnecting..
Old Dec 26, 2022, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by x3wilson
I’m not a 100% sure but I have 2 phones and when I bought a wifi plan on board back in August. Connecting my 2nd device will disconnect me from the 1st device and vice versa… which was very annoying. Might explain why you are keep disconnecting..
That's different. It's quite clear that you're only allowed to have one device connected at a time.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by x3wilson
Yes, I'm aware of the limit of devices -- but I'm not even at that point of worrying about that kind of thing. I just can't connect for the most part -- getting to the Aeroplan/Air Canada login unfortunately!
Old Dec 26, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Yes, I'm aware of the limit of devices -- but I'm not even at that point of worrying about that kind of thing. I just can't connect for the most part -- getting to the Aeroplan/Air Canada login unfortunately!
I had this problem, yesterday. Flew YYC-SFO. The login screen wouldn’t load on my MacBook Pro the entire flight. It only loaded on my iPhone about half way there.

The basic WiFi itself works, because I was able to get to aircanada.com on both devices the entire time. But, the service is useless without being able to log in. Very frustrating!
Old Dec 26, 2022, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
I had this problem, yesterday. Flew YYC-SFO. The login screen wouldn’t load on my MacBook Pro the entire flight. It only loaded on my iPhone about half way there.

The basic WiFi itself works, because I was able to get to aircanada.com on both devices the entire time. But, the service is useless without being able to log in. Very frustrating!
Sometimes I need to go incognito to log in.

I think I've only had one or two flights (ever) where I couldn't get to the login page, period, but like in your case, AC.com loaded fine. Though even in those cases I think it started working partway through.

I have no idea what caused the issue or what fixed it.
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 3:13 pm

Yes -- exactly my problem.

The other issue is that when you do get through to the aircanada.com or whatever it is showing the in-flight stuff; it'll allow you to get to the WIFI packages but then its only the gogoair.com login -- no option to use aircanada.com/aeroplan to login.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Yes -- exactly my problem.

The other issue is that when you do get through to the aircanada.com or whatever it is showing the in-flight stuff; it'll allow you to get to the WIFI packages but then its only the gogoair.com login -- no option to use aircanada.com/aeroplan to login.
I had this same issue on a A330. Tried 3 different browsers, incognito/private, turned computer off etc. After 20mins just gave up. SD was trying to help but made comments "My wifi is working so you should not sure why you are having issues" Then my final attempt I was able to get to the payment page and it failed..so I gave up
Old Dec 27, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy - Ambassador, Air Canada Aeroplan - Super Elite
Activate wifi before dec 31

I just chose the 12 months of wifi as one of my choice benefits ( I just met SE a couple of days ago ) however , I didn’t realize this had to be “activated “ while on a flight , AND before dec 31 !

is there anyone flying that can activate for me if we can share info via DM ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.