Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Old Oct 1, 2021, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Dear Lord... I'm on FIN 711 right now. On the first flight I was told by the in-charge it didn't have WiFi installed. When I corrected her, she turned it on and apologized, but the network never came up.

When I got back on for the inbound, she told me WiFi isn't working on any of 711 to 715 right now. Which makes no sense, because if it's not working on those, it also shouldn't be working on 701-710 or 716. But who knows. She's very nice, but looks like she's about 12. And it's AC. Well, Jazz, but same culture of not knowing or caring.
​​​​​

The Legacy 705s are actually having a fleet wide wifi issue, and have been for a while, they need new Wireless Access Points, due to an issue with MAC address and Apple devices in particular (devices with private access enabled can't connect)

Refitting started in June and is scheduled to go till the end of the year. The FAs haven't been informed about what fins have been refitted or not.

Same issue is affecting certain 175s as well, but again, no idea what fins are affected or fixed.

The WiFi power switch on the legacy 705s is a guarded switch that's to be left on at all times and shouldn't be used to reset the system'. So if it was switched off, there was likely a reason.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 4:25 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
That change in default WiFi behaviour by Apple broke a lot of stuff. I'm not surprised it caused issue here.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I think it was reported with Android devices in this thread and to AC years ago.

Thinking back, my most memorable failure was on an E75.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 4:26 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Marriott Platinum
AC 880 - WIFI costs?

Hi all,

Trying to find costs for WIFI on AC 880 from YYZ to ZRH.

I see all the info for north america flights (ranges from 9.50 or 12.50 an hour or the monthly pass at $69 per month) but these all reference north america flights.

Anyone know the cost on international and how to save some money here?

Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2021, 5:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Yeah, the 1h prices for INTL are the same IIRC. You can also get a full flight pass for $18 (basic), $28 (streaming) or $35 (ultimate), but I would only recommend a flight pass if you’re seating in Economy and know you won’t sleep. Otherwise, just get an hour (or two) as needed.

There's no way to save money on this, aside from putting the charge on a good CC (which will only save you pennies).

Last edited by yyztozag; Oct 17, 2021 at 6:45 pm
Old Oct 17, 2021, 5:19 pm

International monthly pass $89.95.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 7:55 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Marriott Platinum
Thank you to you both!
Old Oct 25, 2021, 5:07 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Free wifi on old config a333 transcon. Never got free wifi from AC before. Interesting. Have not been ever offered free internet in any of my flights previous to this one with AC.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
How does the SE perk work now? Previously it was just a Gogo coupon code that gave you a Gogo plan valid for 12 months from activation.

Now it seems tied to the Aeroplan account.

​​​I'll be really annoyed if it's only valid for the benefit year. I bought a lot of wifi this year.

Old Oct 29, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
So this was a first. Have a Global Flight pass, and apparently if you connect to many devices to the plan in a monthly period they will block the account for suspected sharing. GoGo chat provided a few codes to get around the issue... Not ideal.

This becomes a problem with a lot of devices with randomized MAC addresses (iPhone, Windows, etc.)
Old Oct 29, 2021, 1:54 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Free wifi on old config a333 transcon. Never got free wifi from AC before. Interesting. Have not been ever offered free internet in any of my flights previous to this one with AC.
I've had it once or twice in all of the hundreds of flights when I fired up the WiFi, so I wouldn't say it's common. One of those times it was an Amex promo with a prominent Amex ad at the launch page, letting you know the free WiFi was compliments of them.

Originally Posted by WannabeSE
So this was a first. Have a Global Flight pass, and apparently if you connect to many devices to the plan in a monthly period they will block the account for suspected sharing. GoGo chat provided a few codes to get around the issue... Not ideal.

This becomes a problem with a lot of devices with randomized MAC addresses (iPhone, Windows, etc.)
Do you know what the threshold is? Even using my UFP with randomized MAC on my phone and doing a lot of segments in a month, that hasn't been a problem, at least on the North America monthly pass.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I've had it once or twice in all of the hundreds of flights when I fired up the WiFi, so I wouldn't say it's common. One of those times it was an Amex promo with a prominent Amex ad at the launch page, letting you know the free WiFi was compliments of them.

Do you know what the threshold is? Even using my UFP with randomized MAC on my phone and doing a lot of segments in a month, that hasn't been a problem, at least on the North America monthly pass.
I asked the SD about the free wifi and she said some planes are marked with issues on the IFE and activate free wifi if that is the case. Not sure how truthful or viable that is... the IFE was pretty slow
Old Oct 29, 2021, 2:14 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SKYEG
I asked the SD about the free wifi and she said some planes are marked with issues on the IFE and activate free wifi if that is the case. Not sure how truthful or viable that is... the IFE was pretty slow
That, I've never heard of. I've had plenty of crappy WiFi, and at best have gotten a code from GoGo for another free WiFi session, after firing up the chat and complaining. So colour me skeptical of that explanation.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
Iím not too sure, they didnít indicate.

Completed 15 segments in the past 30 days. Some being fairly long ones to Europe.

Travel with a 3 devices which are on WiFi at some point.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 9:24 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
How does the SE perk work now? Previously it was just a Gogo coupon code that gave you a Gogo plan valid for 12 months from activation.

Now it seems tied to the Aeroplan account.

​​​I'll be really annoyed if it's only valid for the benefit year. I bought a lot of wifi this year.
So I just discovered that the wifi plan only allows one concurrent device. I used to have iPass where you could have multiple devices but they discontinued support for GoGo over the pandemic. GoGo just confirmed that you can only (a) have one device at a time (b) if you use more than 5 devices in a "billing period" you get locked out on the sixth.

The text on the website for the benefit...

Choose this Select Benefit and receive an Aeroplan Wi-Fi Plan. Get internet access on any Gogo-equipped Air Canada flight using any Wi-Fi enabled laptop, tablet or smartphone. Maximum of 5 unique devices per account.
... to me could use some "clarification".

I also find that the AeroPlan login hasn't worked cleanly in a month with an error page after logging in and a 50/50 shot that I have connectivity. If I go back to the GoGo page it says I need to Buy/Login even though some ports seem open after that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.