Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Old Aug 3, 2021, 7:56 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rehoult
Flying YYC-YYZ-YYC today to drop my kids at the grandparents and was pleasantly surprised to have internet on 7M8 #524.
How's it working?
Old Aug 3, 2021, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
How's it working?
Pretty decent. Oddly google.com isn't working, though all other google services are.

Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That ping though...
Old Aug 19, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Here's a new one - to me, at least.

I'm trying to connect to ACWiFi. My (Android) phone says "Couldn't authenticate network". I've tried shutting off WiFi and turning it back on again. Forgetting the network. Restarting the phone. But always the same thing.

But on my Surface, no problem at all, it just connected and brought up the usual landing screen.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old Aug 19, 2021, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Here's a new one - to me, at least.

I'm trying to connect to ACWiFi. My (Android) phone says "Couldn't authenticate network". I've tried shutting off WiFi and turning it back on again. Forgetting the network. Restarting the phone. But always the same thing.

But on my Surface, no problem at all, it just connected and brought up the usual landing screen.

Anyone have any ideas?
In the settings for that network, try turning off "Use randomized MAC". It has fixed issues for me, on Android, on AC wifi.

That being said, I do have it on at the moment, and it's been working.
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
FIN 838 Wi-Fi was not available on Thu Aug 19 as no network was detected.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 7:48 pm

Got some information from a reliable AC source on the 7M8 WiFi.

They're testing out a new antenna on 524, which is why [MENTION=186483]rehoult[/MENTION] reported it having working WiFi, but it remains disabled on the rest of the fleet. If the new antenna is successful, it would obviously take a while to replace the ones on the rest of the fleet, but timeline is uncertain.

I've added the info to the wiki to clarify.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
In the settings for that network, try turning off "Use randomized MAC". It has fixed issues for me, on Android, on AC wifi.

That being said, I do have it on at the moment, and it's been working.
Thanks, that solved it. Never been a problem before. I also later noticed that suggestion was also in the Android WiFi connection thing, but buried at the bottom in a font that was essentially the same as the background (clearly not properly thought through for dark mode).
Old Aug 24, 2021, 3:49 pm

Programs: AC SE
I received a call from the executive customer relations team this morning after I repeatedly had issues with the WiFi this year and complained that my Select Privilege was completely wasted on this. (30 Segments, WiFi maybe working 5 or 6 times)

I was offered sincerest apologies and a warm handshake. That was itů
Old Aug 24, 2021, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Hypastyla
I received a call from the executive customer relations team this morning after I repeatedly had issues with the WiFi this year and complained that my Select Privilege was completely wasted on this. (30 Segments, WiFi maybe working 5 or 6 times)

I was offered sincerest apologies and a warm handshake. That was itů
Wow. Seems like a real jerk move to phone you for that. They could have sent you an e-mail to the same effect that would have wasted a lot less of your time.
YOWgary and YYC3722 like this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 8:50 am

I was on 524 this morning. The WiFi was up and running, but I didn't try it out because I didn't feel like paying - no ability to use the Gogo monthly pass/Aeroplan elite benefit. Not totally surprising since it's a Thales system rather than Gogo, but still disappointing.

Lots of different passes for purchase:

Old Sep 7, 2021, 7:55 pm

This randomized MAC thing seems to be a consistent problem on the CR9s, or at least the ex-CRAs. No problems with it on 77W, 789, 321, or 320. But now had a problem on several CR9s, all ex-CRAs. Not sure I've had an issue with it on any of the other CR9s; I know one of them didn't have WiFi at all, but can't remember about another turn I did.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 9:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum Elite
I did a handful of flights one of the Jetz A319s last week, and the wifi was only working on mobiles, not computers, for reasons I don't understand. (For sure iPhones, not sure about Android devices). Wouldn't even load up the landing page on laptops, even when manually entered.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 12:43 pm

Hello from FIN 944. Wiki updated.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 3:06 pm

Dear Lord... I'm on FIN 711 right now. On the first flight I was told by the in-charge it didn't have WiFi installed. When I corrected her, she turned it on and apologized, but the network never came up.

When I got back on for the inbound, she told me WiFi isn't working on any of 711 to 715 right now. Which makes no sense, because if it's not working on those, it also shouldn't be working on 701-710 or 716. But who knows. She's very nice, but looks like she's about 12. And it's AC. Well, Jazz, but same culture of not knowing or caring.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC, SK, AY, Marriott, BW, Avis
Dear Lord... I'm on FIN 711 right now. On the first flight I was told by the in-charge it didn't have WiFi installed. When I corrected her, she turned it on and apologized, but the network never came up.

When I got back on for the inbound, she told me WiFi isn't working on any of 711 to 715 right now. Which makes no sense, because if it's not working on those, it also shouldn't be working on 701-710 or 716. But who knows. She's very nice, but looks like she's about 12. And it's AC. Well, Jazz, but same culture of not knowing or caring.
Mapping the fleet 1 fin at a time. Like wardriving but for planes. Warflying maybe?
Bohemian1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.