On-Board WIFI

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 24, 22, 3:32 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Adam Smith
Wiki Link
Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Thales satellite-based system (fast when it works - see below)
    • 7M8: 501-509, 524 Until recently, WiFi was disabled on the entire 737 fleet due to performance issues. A new antenna was tested on 524, and now appears to be in the process of being rolled out to other aircraft in the fleet. Aircraft listed here are confirmed to have WiFi working (mid-2021 onwards). Reports from FTers suggest that performance on the aircraft that DO have WiFi is highly variable
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730
  • 7M8: all, except as noted above

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except the 7M8s and rouge. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 22, 22, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ View Post
Tried to stream something on Disney+ about 10 days ago on a 320. Would not work. I suspect there was something on the Disney end blocking the service. Streaming TSN sports is very, very poor recently. Getting mentally prepared to not have access to FIFA on YVR-SYD in a few days.
--
13F
I highly suggest trying with a VPN. There's no guarantee it'll work, but I've gotten Youtube to work several times by simply enabling a VPN - even on A319s with the basic wifi package.

You'll also want to consider whether your VPN is blocked by your streaming service, so test with the VPN on at home first.
Old Nov 22, 22, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ View Post
Tried to stream something on Disney+ about 10 days ago on a 320. Would not work. I suspect there was something on the Disney end blocking the service. Streaming TSN sports is very, very poor recently. Getting mentally prepared to not have access to FIFA on YVR-SYD in a few days.
--
13F
The ultimate wifi package on YVR-SYD last week was able to support Disney+ streaming.

You may need a VPN for TSN at some point on the flight. I was able to connect to Bell with a VPN and stream in ok quality (I just tried it to test it out and didnt watch for any length of time so YMMV).
Old Nov 22, 22, 6:30 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Plat, DL PM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by starlink View Post
I highly suggest trying with a VPN. There's no guarantee it'll work, but I've gotten Youtube to work several times by simply enabling a VPN - even on A319s with the basic wifi package.

You'll also want to consider whether your VPN is blocked by your streaming service, so test with the VPN on at home first.
VPN potentially overcomes AC blocking services like Netflix or YouTube, and might help with throttling, but with the ATG system, the bandwidth often simply isn't there to stream.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 24, 22, 12:27 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Plat, DL PM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
I've updated the wiki to make clear which system is installed on which type of aircraft. A source at AC that I consider to be reliable also confirmed that the widebodies we noted as no WiFi/unknown all have WiFi, so I've cleaned that all up.
Old Nov 24, 22, 12:46 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Any updates on the problem with login using Elite wifi access? Has this been fixed?

Ron.
Old Nov 24, 22, 1:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
I've updated the wiki to make clear which system is installed on which type of aircraft. A source at AC that I consider to be reliable also confirmed that the widebodies we noted as no WiFi/unknown all have WiFi, so I've cleaned that all up.
This is a fabulous resource, and the hard work is appreciated. Is it a possibility to add info on which planes now are capable of showing live TV on their IFE? Or is that worth a separate thread?
respectable_man likes this.
Old Nov 24, 22, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Canuckian View Post
This is a fabulous resource, and the hard work is appreciated. Is it a possibility to add info on which planes now are capable of showing live TV on their IFE? Or is that worth a separate thread?
The live TV feature doesn't appear to correlate exactly with WiFi - only aircraft with the GoGo 2Ku system offer it, but not all 2Ku aircraft have it. So there's clearly some hardware and/or software separate from on-board WiFi that's needed for the TV offering. I have zero information beyond the fact that only 40 aircraft have live TV available, but there are far more than 40 of the types they've said will offer it 777s, 787s, 333s, and 223s - off the top of my head, those types total over 100 - and there's no combination of the full sub-fleet of those types that adds up to 40, so it's not like they've launched it on all of the 787s or all 223s and all 333s.

As such, the Live TV thread would probably be the best place for such a wiki to live.
Old Nov 26, 22, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA 1K, AC 75k, WN A+/CP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Is there any update from AC on the status of 737max wifi? This seems to be a pretty big miss here - Alaska 7M9 has wifi - why doesnt AC? This is really a frustrating part of AC these days especially to the USA.

I am flying AC for the first time in a while to go back home for Christmas - ALL maxes....wish AS flew to YYZ.....
Old Nov 26, 22, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by isaacchambers View Post
Is there any update from AC on the status of 737max wifi?
If there was, I'm sure someone would have posted it.

This seems to be a pretty big miss here - Alaska 7M9 has wifi - why doesnt AC?
They chose a bad product from a supplier that apparently hasn't been able to rectify the problems despite 3+ years to do so.
D582 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 22, 7:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA 1K, AC 75k, WN A+/CP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
If there was, I'm sure someone would have posted it.

They chose a bad product from a supplier that apparently hasn't been able to rectify the problems despite 3+ years to do so.
I would assume that they are trying to resolve it with Thales? Or are they just going to rip it out for 2ku - we know that works!
Old Nov 26, 22, 9:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Gold, Avis-President's Club
Do you guys know on what to do when were about to login to aeroplan account to connect from super elite benefits wifi, sometimes it froze. The plane thats going in circle stops all of sudden. Any tricks on how to rectify this?
Old Nov 26, 22, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingbunny88 View Post
Do you guys know on what to do when were about to login to aeroplan account to connect from super elite benefits wifi, sometimes it froze. The plane thats going in circle stops all of sudden. Any tricks on how to rectify this?
Happens all the time. If you want to buy a pass though, of course, that works without any issues

Whenever this happens to me I connect to the chat help and make them give me a code for a pass. They always do.
Old Nov 26, 22, 9:33 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Gold, Avis-President's Club
Originally Posted by TheViperOne View Post
Happens all the time. If you want to buy a pass though, of course, that works without any issues

Whenever this happens to me I connect to the chat help and make them give me a code for a pass. They always do.
thanks! Yeah, i dont think ill select this wifi benefits again lol, too unstable from time to time. By the way, where should i go for the chat help? I have 2 devices and 1 currently works (in the plane as im writting this) and the other one doesnt work yet.
Old Nov 26, 22, 9:34 pm

Programs: AC SE, DL Platinum, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TheViperOne View Post

Yeah, their customer support is very good over chat and they try to make it right.
Old Nov 26, 22, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingbunny88 View Post
thanks! Yeah, i dont think ill select this wifi benefits again lol, too unstable from time to time. By the way, where should i go for the chat help? I have 2 devices and 1 currently works (in the plane as im writting this) and the other one doesnt work yet.
Can only have one device active at a time with the benefit. As soon as you log into the other one your other device wont work anymore.

Search this Thread