Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Gold, Avis-President's Club
Where can I check the expiry date of my WIFI login account? It says 12 months, but i forgot when the first time I activated it.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Speed limit of different pass

Can we add the wifi speed limit for different options? I.e. browser pass/streaming pass/streaming+ pass.

From my own experience the 75K wifi pass is limited at 2Mbps (256KB/s). I wonder what’s the speed limit for other options.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:34 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Originally Posted by Flyingbunny88
Where can I check the expiry date of my WIFI login account? It says 12 months, but i forgot when the first time I activated it.
There is nowhere to check it; however, today I finally picked my SE privileges as my pass last year expired in the last few weeks. But when I activated this year it says "Benefit expires 12/31/2022".

Is this new? Is the wifi pass now only good for benefit year as opposed to 12 months from activation?
Old Oct 3, 2022, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I figured I'd just wait until it said I don't have a pass, then select my benefits right at that time (since you can access AC.com without paying for wifi).

But I'll be pretty annoyed if my "12 month pass" only lasts 2-3 months.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 11:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I figured I'd just wait until it said I don't have a pass, then select my benefits right at that time (since you can access AC.com without paying for wifi).

But I'll be pretty annoyed if my "12 month pass" only lasts 2-3 months.
It means the pass has to be activated by 2022-12-31. You can only activate a pass while onboard an AC plane with the ACWIFI.
Once activated, the pass will be valid for one year from the date of activation.

This is based on personal experience, unless AC/GoGo implemented changes this year.
As a matter of frustration I selected my benefit of WiFi pass on 2021-12-31 and it vanished before I can activate it. Around the same time (2021-12-20ish) a bunch of other paxes were on their hot ... trying to find someone who will take an AC plane for year end to activate their Wifi passes.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 6:31 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Originally Posted by sha8192
It means the pass has to be activated by 2022-12-31. You can only activate a pass while onboard an AC plane with the ACWIFI.
Once activated, the pass will be valid for one year from the date of activation.
That does appear correct upon closer look. The exact text of the pop up is "Thank your loyalty! Your status qualifies you for: Aeroplan Super Elite Wi-Fi Plan. You have until 12/31/22 to activate this benefit." with an option to click Activate.

So it does appear 12 months from activation.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by yowcat
The Air Canada Wifi page that lets you check wifi for upcoming flights seems to have an out of date database. This post is supposed to be impossible because the 333 I am on is not supposed to have wifi but it does. The Air Canada Flight status page seems to be more accurate - as is cowtool
A bit late of an update : you are correct. The plane did have Wifi.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: AC SE-MM
Fin 508 is now broken
Fin 524 drops the connection as soon as it is established
Old Oct 23, 2022, 6:08 pm

Just curious what the recent experience is with WiFi going from YVR to SYD and back?
Old Oct 23, 2022, 6:34 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sameruval
Just curious what the recent experience is with WiFi going from YVR to SYD and back?
Please be more specific with your question. Are you asking about coverage? Pricing? etc
Old Oct 23, 2022, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Please be more specific with your question. Are you asking about coverage? Pricing? etc
Coverage mainly.

But out of curiosity would a one way pass cover both segments of YYZ-SYD?
Old Oct 23, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sameruval
Coverage mainly.
It should be fine.

But out of curiosity would a one way pass cover both segments of YYZ-SYD?
There are no "one-way" passes. There are flight passes and day passes. The former only covers one flight (or you can buy for an even shorter time period on that flight). The latter covers all flights on the same day, so would fit your needs. But won't always be offered on every flight. Not sure whether the option to pre-purchase them still exists.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 3:41 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Have a similar question about YVR-BNE.

What are the typical coverage, speed, prices like?

Someone mentioned 2Mbps above. Is that likely on intercontinental satellite connections or only flights over land?

I don’t have status with AC so would be paying, not using some pass.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:44 am

Really? Why, was it suspicious that I was trying to log in ON THE AIR CANADA WIFI NETWORK WHILE SITTING ON AN AIR CANADA AIRCRAFT?!?

So I bought a flight pass and got Gogo to refund it. They tried to fob me off with a 100% promo code, but after I pointed out that I don't need that since I have the SE pass, they gave me a proper refund.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith

Really? Why, was it suspicious that I was trying to log in ON THE AIR CANADA WIFI NETWORK WHILE SITTING ON AN AIR CANADA AIRCRAFT?!?

So I bought a flight pass and got Gogo to refund it. They tried to fob me off with a 100% promo code, but after I pointed out that I don't need that since I have the SE pass, they gave me a proper refund.
I had the same thing on YYC-YVR on Sunday. Gogo threw a free code at me.

This is probably something worth escalating. They've likely added some "security" feature that doesn't like the Gogo IP range.
Adam Smith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.