Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Have you complained about it?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:50 pm

Current wifi-equipped Max aircraft are FINs 501-509 and 524.

Unfortunately, the software that enables the Aeroplan select benefit login is not currently working on Max wifi-equipped aircraft.

The plan is to have it enabled sometime in 2023.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hilton Gold, Golf Canada Top 3%
FRA YYC fin701 June 5

On the plane now and it's been solid throughout the flight. Still 2 hours left though. For some reason, the outbound wifi on fin704 Thursday was patchy.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by _Clouds
Current wifi-equipped Max aircraft are FINs 501-509 and 524.

Unfortunately, the software that enables the Aeroplan select benefit login is not currently working on Max wifi-equipped aircraft.

The plan is to have it enabled sometime in 2023.

Hope this helps.
Knowledge is always helpful.

But that really pisses me off.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: AC*A
Seems like AC is upgrading the 321s with Intelsat 2Ku wifi (like widebodies) in "early 2023:"

Adam Smith and jmt18325 like this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 12:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Super Elite
WiFi Speed for Aeroplan Benefit WiFi

For GoGo wifi, when paying, there are three options with progressively faster internet: Browse, Stream, and Ultimate.

Does anyone know which of these the Aeroplan GoGo wifi pass (select benefit) is equivalent to?

I'm using it on my current flight on a 777 and ho-lee is it slow. A ping of 1500ms. Absolutely impossible to work.
User8181416 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
On my most recent flight, I tried to log in for my selected AC WiFi benefit, but it said I had no benefit to activate.

But I had previously activated it on a previous flight, so it should have been... active?

What's the best way to get support for this? I know it's not a Gogo thing. I tried using the SE email address and got a form letter saying they don't do email and listing options like the concierge or Aeroplan contact numbers, which don't seem to me to be the right way to go.

Do I just try the "regular" customer service channels, or is there an option I'm not thinking of?

I appreciate any advice.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 2:14 pm

I probably would have chatted with gogo while in flight to see what they said. Otherwise, yeah, just the standard customer service form.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Super Elite
Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
I tried using the SE email address and got a form letter saying they don't do email and listing options like the concierge or Aeroplan contact numbers, which don't seem to me to be the right way to go.
I've had this same issue too, which is clearly a bug (why would there even be an SE email address if they "don't do email"), and a couple people (including myself) have been discussing it here.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I probably would have chatted with gogo while in flight to see what they said. Otherwise, yeah, just the standard customer service form.
I tried this on a 737 MAX flight last week and had a weird experience. It was a 737 MAX so the internet was by Thales, but it was GoGo branded. Unlike other GoGo flights though, there was no option to sign in with Aeroplan. So I open up a chat with GoGo support, they say "you just need to click the Aeroplan sign in". I told them there was no such button but they clearly didn't believe me. So he just gave me a voucher code to use instead.
canadiancow and YYC3722 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:04 am

518 still does not have WiFi.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:01 am

It's only a matter of time......
https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/8/23...er-price-speed
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:38 pm

522 doesn't have wifi.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by zkzkz
I hope AC makes this happen in the next year or two.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:46 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
TIL: "Basic" Wifi Now Free on Air Canada!

Apologies if this was introduced months (or years) ago, but out of boredom I decided to look into signing up for Wifi on an AC A330-300-operated flight today. To my surprise, while AC charges for video/streaming connections, their basic one is free and functional, if a bit slow (but I can live with that of course)

Just wanted to post as this is probably of interest to anyone who wasn't aware of its existence! Is it limited to only certain aircraft, routes, etc...? (Is Domestic-Canada different than Transborder different than Int'l?)
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:50 pm

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
Apologies if this was introduced months (or years) ago, but out of boredom I decided to look into signing up for Wifi on an AC A330-300-operated flight today. To my surprise, while AC charges for video/streaming connections, their basic one is free and functional, if a bit slow (but I can live with that of course)

Just wanted to post as this is probably of interest to anyone who wasn't aware of its existence! Is it limited to only certain aircraft, routes, etc...? (Is Domestic-Canada different than Transborder different than Int'l?)
That's new to me at least! Would be a logical move as Wi-Fi for messaging is already free at UA for a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.