Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2021, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've had no issue with the SE benefit, but I've only used it on 6 flights.

There are ways around the one device limit. Like counting a router to Gogo, and all your devices to the router.

Or getting a phone that has that functionality built in, like most modern Android devices, but not any iPhones.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Free Wi-Fi on transborder flights?

Took AC 901/904 today on C-GHKW (A330-343) and had free decent Wi-Fi courtesy of AC on both legs. Is this normal? Better Wi-Fi than paid Wi-Fi on AA.

Old Nov 6, 2021, 5:00 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Took AC 901/904 today on C-GHKW (A330-343) and had free decent Wi-Fi courtesy of AC on both legs. Is this normal?
No, although someone else reported getting free WiFi on a 333 a few days ago.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Took AC 901/904 today on C-GHKW (A330-343) and had free decent Wi-Fi courtesy of AC on both legs. Is this normal? Better Wi-Fi than paid Wi-Fi on AA.
Worth mentioning that despite the decent speeds, it appears streaming services were blocked to make you pay if you want to use them. I couldn’t get any of the popular ones to load. Didn’t try obscure ones (fell asleep).

FWIW, the IFE was ancient, slow, and had no CC.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 9:54 pm

Got the same free wifi option on a domestic A333 flight (C-GFAF), which is also an old config.

Seems like it's being offered on old config A333s.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: Air Canada SE, Marriott Platinum
FYI YYZ - FLR and FCO - YUL

18.95 CAD for full flight
8.95 CAD for 1 hour
Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:43 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Erome
YYZ - FLR
Should that be FCO?
Old Nov 10, 2021, 1:29 pm

Rouge aeroplan elite wi-fi plan

As part of my SE benefit I picked the aeroplan elite wi-fi plan. On my first rouge flight and Gogo is saying the benefit only works on air Canada flight and I have to pay for the Wi-Fi. Is this correct?
Old Nov 10, 2021, 6:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
AC SuperElite - GoGo Wifi Promo code - where?

Hi everyone -- I'm sure I'm just not seeing it but prior to the Altitude portal change and AC website upgrades, I was always able to find the code for the GoGo Wifi benefit I chose. Now I have no idea where to find it. The benefits page shows its there but only says "Simply connect to the aircraft's Wi-Fi network when you get on board and start streaming right after take-off." but no code or where to find it.

Can anyone help? Thanks
Old Nov 10, 2021, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Cerberus
Hi everyone -- I'm sure I'm just not seeing it but prior to the Altitude portal change and AC website upgrades, I was always able to find the code for the GoGo Wifi benefit I chose. Now I have no idea where to find it. The benefits page shows its there but only says "Simply connect to the aircraft's Wi-Fi network when you get on board and start streaming right after take-off." but no code or where to find it.

Can anyone help? Thanks
Just sign in with your Aeroplan account on inflight wifi. There's no more code.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for that information -- to be clear -- my old Gogo Wifi account was tied to my corporate email address. That address is not the one I use for my Aeroplan account. Do I create a net new account with GoGo using my Aeroplan email and it should just magically give me access? Thank you!
Old Nov 11, 2021, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Cerberus
Thanks for that information -- to be clear -- my old Gogo Wifi account was tied to my corporate email address. That address is not the one I use for my Aeroplan account. Do I create a net new account with GoGo using my Aeroplan email and it should just magically give me access? Thank you!
No. When you're on the flight, you have two options.
1. Sign in with Aeroplan
2. Sign in with Gogo

Sign in with Aeroplan.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
No. When you're on the flight, you have two options.
1. Sign in with Aeroplan
2. Sign in with Gogo

Sign in with Aeroplan.

On my rouge flight yesterday there was only sign in with Gogo (no aeroplan). Is this normal?
Old Nov 19, 2021, 7:14 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I just bought wifi with miles for the first time. Cool.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 12:01 pm

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
Returned home on AC 841 on November 16 and the wifi didn't work as soon as the flight departed. I ate and then slept and when we arrived in Canadian airspace, it continued not to work. Purchased the monthly pass and I haven't been impressed thus far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.