Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Using Aeroplan points to upgrade to next class for Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Using Aeroplan points to upgrade to next class for Europe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Using Aeroplan points to upgrade to next class for Europe

Hi all – I am new to this forum. I got directed here when googling for my answers and am amazed I have not discovered this sooner.

I currently have 80,000 aeroplan points that are to expire by June. I thought of utilizing them by using them as upgrade from Economy to next level up. But I have never done this before and the level of information out there is quite confusing. So I am hoping that I can get some help here before I proceed to book my tickets and then run into the scenario that I am no longer eligible for upgrade.

Trip details
June – YYZ to Athens, return
Using Kayak I have filtered for Star Alliance airlines only

I have 2 options that I am contemplating

Option 1

YYZ -> ATH = Austrian Airlines (operated by TYROLEAN airways), with connection at Vienna
ATH -> YYZ = Air Canada direct flight (operated by AC)

Neither of the above are code share from what I can see. Under definition of upgrade I am assuming this qualifies? So I spend 20K points per leg and I am flying Business? Correct? I guess my doubt was stemming from 1) I have 2 different carriers (Austrian/ TYROLEAN and AC) so didn’t know if that made me out of bounds? 2) While the ticket seems to show Austrian, the flight is actually operated by TYROLEAN – but I think they are the same now so not considered code share?

Option 2

YYZ -> LHR = AIR Canada, connection at Heathrow
LHR -> ATH = Aegen, direct
ATH -> YYZ = AC direct as above

Does this also qualify me for the upgrade? On the same leg I am under 2 different airlines but neither are code shared?

I also have some general questions around the upgrade policy

- if I qualify for one of the options above, am I guaranteed an upgrade as long as I have purchased the economy Y class ticket?
- From Kayak when booking these flights I don’t get class information, all I get is Economy – how do I find out that the class I am on is Y and not anything else that would not allow me to qualify for the upgrade?
- I am assuming the 20K points eligible for upgrade is through and through from original to destination as long as the flight has a business class cabin?
- If there is not Business class on a particular flight, do I get bumped up to First class? Conversely what if there is an economy plus cabin – do I get bumped up 1 class to economy plus instead of business when purchasing ticket @ Y class?

Sorry for the long first post. But this is the first time I am using points for anything other than buying gift cards so I am a little jittery on how to best qualify.

thanks
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Odds are this won't work for several reasons.

#1 you must purchase full fare economy, which is often as expensive (or more) than discounted business class

#2 on each flight there must be positive business class reward space available, which is somewhat rare

#3 YYZATH on AC is not a true over the ocean business class but more of a leisure carriers economy plus style of setting

The carriers you mention do not have 1st class so you won't get bumped anywhere but down (if you even get upgraded in the 1st place).
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Here is an example of Y fare (Latitude) to ATH being more expensive than business class.

Here is the (lack of) business class reward space, which is the class required for Star Alliance points upgrades.

Last edited by Dorian; Apr 5, 2013 at 10:33 am Reason: added upgrade space graphic
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:28 am

Here is an example of the type of aircraft used for YYZATH (note there is no business class, just premium economy).

Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:30 am

- if I qualify for one of the options above, am I guaranteed an upgrade as long as I have purchased the economy Y class ticket?

No, it has to be a "full fare" economy ticket, ie fully refundable. Also there must be "space available" in the business class cabin.

- From Kayak when booking these flights I don’t get class information, all I get is Economy – how do I find out that the class I am on is Y and not anything else that would not allow me to qualify for the upgrade?

Look for Y or B fare class when booking.

- I am assuming the 20K points eligible for upgrade is through and through from original to destination as long as the flight has a business class cabin?

Mileage levels required are per person, per flight segment, per the redemption chart, so no

- If there is not Business class on a particular flight, do I get bumped up to First class? Conversely what if there is an economy plus cabin – do I get bumped up 1 class to economy plus instead of business when purchasing ticket @ Y class?

Upgrades are as follows:
Upgrade one class of service from
Economy to Business (on carriers that only offer Economy and Business cabins on 2-cabin aircraft)
Economy to First (on carriers that only offer Economy and First cabins on 2-cabin aircraft
Business to First (on carriers that have 3-cabin aircraft)
Double upgrades from Economy to First cabins are not permitted on 3-cabin aircraft
Premium economy doesn't factor in (still considered economy), so you could go from economy to business.

All of the reading is at: http://www3.aeroplan.com/saua/Guidelines.do
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Wow – thanks so much for this incredible info and so quick too.

Also boy was I off in understanding this. I didn’t know what quite defined Y class and I guess I know now. This is a pity, basically its impossible to do an upgrade unless I buy Business class and then upgrade to first.

Is there anyway that I can utilize my points for an upgrade? If not then I might as well cash them out for gift cards again. Also need to seriously consider getting out of aeroplan point collection and look into a different rewards program.

Thank you so much folks
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by ovelesky
Wow – thanks so much for this incredible info and so quick too.

Also boy was I off in understanding this. I didn’t know what quite defined Y class and I guess I know now. This is a pity, basically its impossible to do an upgrade unless I buy Business class and then upgrade to first.

Is there anyway that I can utilize my points for an upgrade? If not then I might as well cash them out for gift cards again. Also need to seriously consider getting out of aeroplan point collection and look into a different rewards program.

Thank you so much folks
Why don't you try and use the points for straight up reward travel?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dorian
Why don't you try and use the points for straight up reward travel?
Hi Dorian - If I read it right, you are asking why I don't use the points to buy the tickets?

I did some math on this earlier,

Ticket price from YYz -> Athens for my date = $1050
Economy tickets purchased using points, 75K points + 640 in taxes
Savings of about $410

If I take my 75K points and buy the minimum of sobeys cash cards, I get 75000/6500 ~~ 11 cards x 50 = 550.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:27 pm

Hi Dorian - If I read it right, you are asking why I don't use the points to buy the tickets?

Savings of about $410

If I take my 75K points and buy the minimum of sobeys cash cards, I get 75000/6500 ~~ 11 cards x 50 = 550.
You need to look for a route that isn't on a Star Alliance carrier that has high YQ charges. Search the forum for 'scam charges' to find the carrier list.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

it’s a shame really that the plans could be easier. Amex gives me $1 for every 100 points I cash out. Currently I have over 100,000 points sitting with them which would yield me $1000 in cash. If I converted them to Aeroplan to use for travel I pretty much cannot use them unless I do within NA travel. Though I definitely see the value in using these for frquent YYZ->Bos or YYZ->NYC trips. Unfortunately I don't do those trips a lot...

On the flip side, converting to Sobeys cash cards could yield me 10000/6500 = 15 cards x 50 ~~ $800. This is of course granted I don't take advantage of the bonus conversion program. But with my miles expiring I don't know if I really want to keep my AMEX points or really collect them in the aeroplan bucket which is turning out to be extremely hard to consume based on need.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
I thought that end of Dec. 2013 was the earliest that Aeroplan points would expire for some (make sure that you aren't looking at the 12 month expiry date).

For 105 000 AE points you can travel to Athens in J - probably a better use of your points than Sobeys GCs.

Edit: you can just transfer 25 000 Amex MR points to AE and have a J trip to Athens - but there is no way your AE points are expiring in June - so don't worry about it just yet.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dorian
You need to look for a route that isn't on a Star Alliance carrier that has high YQ charges. Search the forum for 'scam charges' to find the carrier list.
sorry my earlier post was just a rant, nothing specific to anything you suggested previously.

To be honest, I have NO idea was Scam charges are or what high YQ charges are. I am searching now though...
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: aeroplan SE

Savings of about $410

If you use points - 105K plus $1000 in scam charges you can get Business class return. Essentially you have paid the same as ecconomy and are using your 105K points to Upgrade to business. Note this is worst case as its based on AC scam charges.
As Dorian suggests search for scam charges and you will get a way better deal - may need to call in to book ($50 add on)
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mountaingrl
I thought that end of Dec. 2013 was the earliest that Aeroplan points would expire for some (make sure that you aren't looking at the 12 month expiry date).

For 105 000 AE points you can travel to Athens in J - probably a better use of your points than Sobeys GCs.
thanks Mountaingirl - but I have double checked my email, they state clearly my points expire by July 29 2013 unless I make 1 qualifying purchase.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
thanks Mountaingirl - but I have double checked my email, they state clearly my points expire by July 29 2013 unless I make 1 qualifying purchase.
No that is not true (at least it is not the 7 year expiry -it refers to miles expiring with inactivity in your account). Hover over the "request mileage status" question mark and you will see that the earliest that anyone is having AE miles expire is Jan. 1, 2014. You can make any kind of purchase to change your 12 month mileage expiry date - go buy groceries at Sobeys.

Go buy some gas at Esso and use your AE card and your 12 month mileage expiry date will change to April 5, 2014. Or for less effort go book a hotel room on the AE.com website and then cancel it and you will see your expiry date change to April 5, 2014.

Last edited by mountaingrl; Apr 5, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.