Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Noise Cancelling Headsets

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2002, 11:16 pm

I just brought a set from the bose web site...

I just pissed off i did't get them sooner....superb !!!
Old Feb 14, 2002, 11:23 pm
ALW

Yeah I love them. In fact I'm listing to an extremely funny Alexei Sayle radio programme on them right now (at home).

Can't hear the computer, can't hear the printer, and the neighbours can't hear the programme (but they can probably hear me howling -- it's Lenin of the Rovers and in #7 they fly to El Telvador (capitol city San Corrupcion) and it's rather funny.

andrew
Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:17 pm

Programs: several
Bump. sorry.

Anyone have any more experience with the Sennheiser PX250 (NC) headphones?
I was thinking about getting the Bose 2's, but I can't seem to justify the cost and bulky-ish size. (leaving $$ things in a seat-pocket is another thing I've done in the past too!) The Sennheiser seem to have pretty good reviews, and fold up into a nice little pouch.
All comments appreciated.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:23 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
I would suggest you check out the travel technology forum ... many discussions there on NC headphones:

One thread is:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ght=Sennheiser

Doing a general search on Sennheiser gives you a list of threads to peruse.

Good luck! ^
Old Oct 3, 2005, 4:22 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by jral
Bump. sorry.

Anyone have any more experience with the Sennheiser PX250 (NC) headphones?
I was thinking about getting the Bose 2's, but I can't seem to justify the cost and bulky-ish size. (leaving $$ things in a seat-pocket is another thing I've done in the past too!) The Sennheiser seem to have pretty good reviews, and fold up into a nice little pouch.
All comments appreciated.
I have a pair, bought them a week ago. I'm taking them back, not because they're bad. I'm just of the opinion, if you really want noise cancellation/reduction, you need to either cover your entire ear, like the BOSE, or have in-ear. The PX250's do't cover your whole ear, and they're going to let noise in.

Shure make great in-ear, and also have options for making a custom molding for your ear, to avoid the potential 'pain' that some people get from having them in too long.

http://www.shurestore.com/
Old Oct 8, 2005, 11:54 am

AC Headset Adapter

BTW, does anyone know where you can get an adapter to convert the two jack AC Headset adapter to one jack, for the Bose Headset.

Radio Shack does not seem to have them.

I just lost mine on a recent flight.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Now for a change of pace. While there has been some discussion of this in Omni, I was curious if any of our crowd have bought a pair of these new fangled noise reduction headsets? Some airlines are now providing them in the front cabins of their international flights, though AC is not among them. However, once you've used a set, you'll never want to fly without them. So...

BOSE is probably the best known manufacturer of acoustic items such as these, and theirs work very well based on my AA experience a couple of weeks ago. However, they use a very bulky set of ear cups -- anybody else old enough to remember what headsets used to all be like in the 60s? -- and they cost over $500 in our money. SONY makes two models, the NC5 and the NC10. But only the NC5 is available in Canada, at about $130 MSRP. It uses smaller, collapsible ear cups, but I have not found or tried a pair yet. AIWA also makes a $50 model, but itdoes not appear to be available in Canada.

So, among you long haul, heavy duty flyers -- BB, Dorian, KH, AB, Empress, AC*SE -- which model, if any, do you guys use?
Old Oct 8, 2005, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Radio Shack does sell them. I bought one of these converters at one once.
Also, I bought some at airport shops that sell travel related gadgets -- of course at a marked up price.

Originally Posted by Zontar
BTW, does anyone know where you can get an adapter to convert the two jack AC Headset adapter to one jack, for the Bose Headset.

Thanks
Old Oct 8, 2005, 6:59 pm
ALW

Thanks
Radio Shack still sells them, part # 42-2495 at www.radioshack.com The site lets you search for store inventory, it claims that both RSs in Plattsburgh have them in stock, for example (but also warns to phone).

I didn't see anything similarly labelled at The Source www.thesourcecc.com but I suppose there might be a "2 1/8" mono plugs to 1 1/8" stereo jack" not labelled for airline use?

=aw
Old Oct 8, 2005, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The following are Bose authorized dealers in Calgary.

Perhaps they can help or order the part for you.

Calgary
Audea
102B, 5809 Macleod Trail SW, Calgary, AB, T2H 0J9
403-290-0440

Radiocraft
710 16th Avenue, North West, Calgary, AB, T2M 0J8
403-289-4448
Old Oct 8, 2005, 7:24 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
I've had a pair of 250s for a couple of years now and I really like them. Although they don't cut out as much noise as the Bose, the fact that they're so light and comfortable makes up for that. I've been able to sleep in them for long hauls with no problem. FYI, they now have a 300 series that has slightly higher NR factor. Haven't tried them, but they might be worth checking out.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC.SE
I have the PXC-250 as well. I once borrowed someone's Bose headset for a trip--better noise reduction than the Sennheiser, but found them uncomfortable. Subjective, of course.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 8:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Prem;DELTA gold;AMEX Cent;AC P;SPG gold;AVIS PC;Hertz gold,Fairmont Plat,HH Diamond,R&C 5C
Originally Posted by Andrew Webber
There are also Bose stores, some "Factory Outlet" and some "Showcase Store". The link is really well hidden but it's at http://204.198.132.142/locator/defau...ategory=retail just plug in a city and state. I have no idea if the Factory Outlets stock the unit we're discussion (don't know about the Showcase Store either, but it seems likely).
1) the 'outlet' stores do carry it (only in the US)
2) and they are the same price as the 'regular' stories

1) 299.00 US or
2) 399.00 CDN

and they are by far the best headphones even if they make you look like a geek.

best investment. (AS A SIDE NOTE IF YOU ARE A MARRIOTT MEMBER YOU CAN GET THEM WITH POINTS (80,000 toi be exact) though you have to ship them to a US addresses
Old Oct 8, 2005, 10:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE, MVPG, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond

Thanks
I've also seen these adapters at London Drugs by the camera section
Old Oct 9, 2005, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by TCoop
I've also seen these adapters at London Drugs by the camera section
IIRC, can even be purchased at Shoppers Drug Mart!
Old Oct 18, 2005, 2:40 pm
B1

Exclamation Update - this week at RCSS for $20!

I saw in this week's flyer for Real Canadian Superstore's general merchandise (October 15-) Accura Noise Cancelling Head Phones. They had been $50 then $30 and now they are $20. I bought them. The store has a no questions asked return policy. They come with a case, batteries and extra jacks for different set ups. The noise cancelling feature amazed me, but I am easy to impress, and the sound quality is okay too. This is a vast improvement over what AC offers on the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.